Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mountain 7.25.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostSun Jul 25, 2010 11:53 pm 
Wow… what a long day! I started with Little Si at 4:30 am after two hours of sleep from getting home from doing Mt. Townsend yesterday! I was able to muster up the strength to head up Granite mountain to retrieve Edd. I have to say, I debated on whether to turn around the first mile or so. I ended up ditching my pack and only carrying MY ten essentials: ipod, water and camera. Okay, my three essentials. clown.gif I did just fine and the rest of the hike went slow but wonderful. Nothing about the trail conditions to report except it’s rough. I agree with this being a difficult hike. Oh, and the fact that you have to hike up a stream once you get up top to the “0 class” scrambling section. This is of course due to the snow melting quickly with the HOT weather lately. A little bit of snow still up there but very minimal. Oh, and the bugs… none until you get out of the forest. Then they are hanging out in the few shady spots along the way. Thought you were going to stop and rest at those shady spots? Hell no unless you want to get mobbed. Oh, they were so heavy even with 100% deet I swallowed two. Not one, but TWO! gag.gif I met the ranger that mans the lookout on the way down. Ranger Susan. Very nice lady that apparently makes cookies for the visitors! She had to lock up the lookout and head down to rescue a hiker. I didn’t get the details until later. Saw her on the way down and I suppose some guy that was her friend was on his way up and got tired. Couldn’t go up or down. It turns out it was his first hike of the season. Happy ending, we ran into him on the way down and he was still heading up. I actually passed him on the way up and I hung out up there for about an hour and half with some new friends. Anyhoo… made it to the top and while comparing the picture I received from GeoTom to all four corners, I finally found Edd. The rocks were in a little bit different arraingement but for the most part, pretty easy. Oh, but I think someone stole your dog GeoTom. huh.gif He was in the picture you sent but he wasn’t at the lookout when I arrived. Decided to do my ritual and eat dinner instead of lunch again! Damn! I ditched my pack so I ate the granola bar I had in my pocket instead. Listened to a few tunes on the ipod to get my peaceful solitude moment in of course as always then took 67 pictures! clown.gif A couple guys came up after me and we all chit chatted for about an hour. Very nice guys. One was from Out of state… NC or Kansas? Can’t remember and is here hiking for a week. The other is here from the West side of Wa. I want to say Forest firs or something. Curtis was his name. I of course told them about NWHikers and Curtis is going to check us out! So Curtis, if you read this, thanks to you and your friend for the great company and the whole hike down to ours cars! Very good conversations and story exchanging! agree.gif I was exhausted by the time I got out of there of course but again, it was worth it. A very great hike with a very nice Ranger Susan! I am going back to get some of those cookies. She even said I could! up.gif BTW, I now have all three traveling registers in hand! Muahahaha. I thought about tying them up and holding them for ransom! devilsmile.gif Enjoy some of the pics and I will place Edd next weekend.
120.JPG
120.JPG
122.JPG
122.JPG
Ah, the wonderful view of I-90 and Tinkerham Road!
Ah, the wonderful view of I-90 and Tinkerham Road!
A very cute older couple enjoying the views. (picture was authorized by subjects)
A very cute older couple enjoying the views. (picture was authorized by subjects)
126.JPG
126.JPG
The only kind of flower I saw unless you count the dead Indian Paintbrushes
The only kind of flower I saw unless you count the dead Indian Paintbrushes
128.JPG
128.JPG
First view!
First view!
Some snow.
Some snow.
137.JPG
137.JPG
139.JPG
139.JPG
140.JPG
140.JPG
141.JPG
141.JPG
143.JPG
143.JPG
Summit shot
Summit shot
150.JPG
150.JPG
152.JPG
152.JPG
155.JPG
155.JPG
158.JPG
158.JPG
161.JPG
161.JPG
The three registers!
The three registers!
Ed Miller's Traveling Summit Register Memorial "Edd"

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 12:19 am 
You had a productive weekend! Only been up to Granite two times, but it's a great hike with many photo ops. Thanks for sharing your photos biggrin.gif

veronika

veronika
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 5:59 pm 
Thanks Bryan. I appreciate the comment on the photos. i will be going back again for the cookies!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:03 pm 
Nice trip, looks beautiful. This one's been on my list but I'm thinking fall. Thanks for a great preview! Mmmm...Cookies.

evergreen16

evergreen16
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:37 pm 
Nice report. I have a question about the lookout tower. Is it now open for everybody? Or was it only because the ranger was there? I was there few years ago and there was a fence blocking access to it. I would come back if I could gain a bit of a better view cool.gif

veronika

veronika
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:53 pm 
It was only because the ranger was there. Again, she is very sweet... had alot of stories to tell and insight on things. She will let you check out the view with the binoculars... oh, and cookies. She has home made chocolate chip cookies! up.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 7:17 pm 
In all the times I have been up to Granite (granted not a ton but at least a handful or so), I have always found the lookout vacant and locked up/inaccessible . I have been on weekends, during the week etc. but never anybody home. Are there certain times it has somebody in it or did I just have bad luck?

veronika

veronika
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 8:03 pm 
It is traditionally open from May to October during daylight hours from what I hear.... maybe bad luck. It was locked up when I went up as well. That was only because she had to go down and help a fellow hiker which happened to be a friend of hers as well. I just happened to run into the Ranger both on the way up and on the way down so chatted it up with her for a bit both ways.