Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > I hate Monroe traffic!!!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 am 
Get real, people: Do you really think these towns shouldn't have traffic lights because it inconveniences you? What about the people who live there and need to navigate around their own towns? I remember before the lights were installed - feeling sorry for the townspeople trying to turn left onto Hwy 2 to get around to do stuff. Turning right took enough balls, at times - but turning left - forget it. Try turning left onto Aurora mid-block without a light on a sunny weekend afternoon and see how long it takes for you to luck out on a clearing. That's about what it'd be like for those towns sans light. I'm pretty sure the lights are there mainly so people can get around their own communities. When I do a Hwy 2 hike, I take 930 to I-90 if I can, but if around the Skykomish area, I'm sure to stay out long enough that traffic is cleared. In summer, that's not hard to do - you choose longer trips anyway, to get into the mountains. In fall and winter - it's not much of an issue. If you're driving Hwy 2 westbound before 8 PM, you didn't choose the right hike. up.gif ANd yeah, I hate Monroe. That 11 mile stretch from 2 to 405 is the longest, biggest pain in the ass for some reason. I guess by then, I just want to be home, since going through Monroe sucked any dreamy inspiration out of me that the McChevronalds in Sultan didn't get.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 10:05 am 
They can have all the lights they want. I just wish they were timed and planned a little better. As I said, do you ever see a back up on the cross streets with the lights? A street light should not cause a 10-20 mile back up one way and clear the intersection the other way. It's highly possible they do it intentionally. When your 1 hour drive becomes a 2 hour drive the odds of you stopping for gas, coffee or a meal go up.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 10:28 am 
Never ever do a hike that requires driving back home west on Route 2 on a Sunday. Or at least in the summer. It's a nightmare. We adopted this as an iron clad rule a long time ago. Just go somewhere else.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 am 
All of those towns on 2 with the stoplights can kiss my grits.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 10:52 am 
Allison wrote:
All of those towns on 2 with the stoplights can kiss my grits.
Excellent thread subject. I was considering the possibility of buying a house up that way, but now see why that would have been a poor choice, so I won't. Thanks, all!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 11:05 am 
All, Back road from Snohomish to Monroe...the old Snohomish Monroe Rd. I think it's called. It leaves Snohomish from the big Stocker soccer fields. Then, as mentioned, take 203 to the Ben Howard Rd. From Sultan to Gold Bar is on your own. At Gold Bar, try Reiter over to Index...much longer but sorta pretty. And don't forget Sultan to Granite Falls/Lake Stevens back roads are a piece of cake. Best yet...avoid the place at all costs, especially with the fair coming up. Tom

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 11:11 am 
Daryl wrote:
They can have all the lights they want. I just wish they were timed and planned a little better. As I said, do you ever see a back up on the cross streets with the lights? A street light should not cause a 10-20 mile back up one way and clear the intersection the other way.
I don't think they do it intentionally but I think you are correct on the impact. There are probably more people in a 20 mile backup than are in the entire town being served by the stoplight. I appreciate the frustration of taking 5 minutes to get into the road if you're a local. However, saving you that five minutes is costing other people hours. That's not even close to a fair tradeoof, IMO. Down here in the Gorge we are dealing with a similar bottleneck in the form of the Hood River Bridge. Every summer the traffic gets a little bit worse on it, and it's nearly completely caused by the tollbooth for this long ago paid for bridge. Now on any weekday in the summer and some on the weekend, every single exit to the bridge from E or W backs up quite a ways, Hwy 26 backs up to the four way several blocks from the bridge. The E bound exit for the bridge gets so bad I've now seen it stretch back from the off ramp to the on ramp preceding it and onto city streets. Drivers on I84 get to Hood River and find they cannot exit..if they waited for this, the last exit...too bad. 6 miles to Mosier, turn around, 6 miles back, get in the long line on the W bound offramp. Back to Hwy 2: This situation will only get worse and worse until all towns are even more choked than they currently are. A bypass is the best solution by far. I'm told every few years this comes up at DOT and gets spiked?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 11:28 am 
2007 report on Hwy 2 corridor Adding lanes in towns and those ffing roundabouts isn't going to actually solve the problem. Hwy 20x should be in the works, four lanes bypassing all towns and feeding in near Zekes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 11:41 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Adding lanes in towns and those ffing roundabouts isn't going to actually solve the problem. Hwy 20x should be in the works, four lanes bypassing all towns and feeding in near Zekes.
Personally, I like feeding in at Zekes. up.gif hungry.gif chow.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 pm 
Solution: Plan a VERY late comeback on Sundays. Seriously. 10:30p.mish there really is nobody at Index. Take your time on the trail coming out on Sunday. This is what I do. Enjoy the outdoors. If you are too early coming back from a hike, go to a river...like the Beckler or North Fork Skykomish or Money, and just hang out. That is the solution. Do not try to beat the traffic, but try to come home late. You have to look at this light "problem" as an opportunity, and not a hinderance.

Art is an adventure.
Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Excellent thread subject. I was considering the possibility of buying a house up that way, but now see why that would have been a poor choice, so I won't. Thanks, all!
Yes, please do not move to Sultan. The traffic is terrible and the nearby hiking sucks. Rains all the time. winksmile.gif

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 10:30 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Solution: Plan a VERY late comeback on Sundays. Seriously. 10:30p.mish there really is nobody at Index. Take your time on the trail coming out on Sunday.
ditto.gif Works for me. up.gif & I don't even have to try and take my time. (There are some advantages to being a slow hiker.) embarassedlaugh.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jul 30, 2010 3:49 pm 
40 years ago Sohomish County had the right-of-way for a bypass around the north side of Monroe. They built one around Snohomish in '85 but decided to sell all the property around Monroe for housing developments. Very short-sighted thinking.

Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostFri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 pm 
Quote:
40 years ago Sohomish County had the right-of-way for a bypass around the north side of Monroe. They built one around Snohomish in '85 but decided to sell all the property around Monroe for housing developments. Very short-sighted thinking.
Yup, My house is on top of the hill that was going to be used for the "fly over"... the DOT still has the land all blocked off not 300 yards from my place. Im a former Monroe Firefighter, and honestly, I like the way the lights work in town now... winksmile.gif

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 10:49 am 
SR 2 is a state route, so Snohomish County has nothing to do with it in any city smaller than 27,500. It's WSDOT who will upgrade Hwy 2 when the time comes, and more importantly when funds become available. The Monroe bypass is still a possibility last I heard. And Mtn Goat, roundabouts would be the best thing for this corridor, either at interchange ramps or on the hwy itself if it isn't made into limited access. Since travel speeds are already 30-35 MPH in town slowing down a bit for a roundabout that provides equal access to everyone with minimal delay would be the most efficient intersection control. And they save lives too!

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.