Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Baker, Squak Glacier Skiing 7/25/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 6:52 am 
After a few days of city activities with visiting company I needed a quick mountain fix. I wanted to get down to Rainier at least once this ski season, but my wife only gave me the go ahead for one day, so it had to be another run up Baker.
Sherman Pk. sunrise
Sherman Pk. sunrise
I got to the parking lot just after dark Saturday night and slept well, getting up after 4 and away by 5. My pent up energy, and the cool morning air made the Scott Paul trail fly by under my hiking shoes and I soon found myself changing to ski boots on the open ridge. The bumpy hard snow was easier to boot, so I carried the skis up well onto the glacier before skinning. Ski crampons were very useful on the steeper bits because a nice breeze kept the snow quite firm.
View south to Sloan
View south to Sloan
I caught up to two friendly young men who were roping up at the crater and chatted with them. After snapping a few pictures I followed them up, managing to skin all the way to the summit.
Sherman Crater
Sherman Crater
I wanted to get home early, and to ski down with Brock & David, so we didn't stay long on top.
skiing off summit
skiing off summit
The Roman Wall was as good as it gets, firm and smooth with a perfect layer of carvable corn. The Squak was even better than last week when I did Sherman Peak, smooth and firm to almost 7,000, then only a bit of grabbiness on the low angle lower slopes. The last bit down to the trail on small softening suncups was also fun and fast.
Skiing The Roman Wall
Skiing The Roman Wall
Looking down on Easton Glacier
Looking down on Easton Glacier
That trail is also about as good as they get, easy on the feet and knees, and shady on a hot day. Before I knew it I was back at the car, changed into clean clothes, and cruising home for a shower before pizza with my wife and friends. Again I thank my lucky stars to live in such a wonderful place.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 am 
Wow, looks like a great day trip! What are the stats (vert, mileage, time)? How far do you hike before hitting snow? Thx! B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 am 
mtn man, you hike about 2.5 miles before hitting continuos snow. The elevation gain is around 7500 ft. in about 12 miles round trip. Of course the skis make the descent fast and easy. Have fun!