Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Lake attempt 7/27/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:32 pm 
I figured I'd try to take my just turned 3yr old Mason and just turned 4yr old Ava to Snow Lake. We arrived at the TH at the ultra early time of 12p after encountering numerous pre-departure obstacles (and most reading this thread know what those are). My plan was to put the 3yr old in the pack if he had no desire to walk. I put as much of their clothing as I could in the large compartment. I put a little first aid kit, wipes, and extra plastic bags in front of where he would sit. I had their sunglasses in the small compartment with Mason's "cars." I the food in plastic containers with snap on lids, 6 little bottles of fruit juice, and my stuff in my normal day pack. I put the "emergency" favorite snacks in the small compartment so I could reach them easily. I draped my day pack across my chest and we were off.
Ava at the TH
Ava at the TH
Maybe a mile up
Maybe a mile up
Getting dirty
Getting dirty
Ava was very excited about the stairs at the beginning and she launched up them at a furious pace. All the little stream crossings and holes in and under trees sparked her imagination. These made for a few pauses as she had to show me how well she could hop over the rocks. We saw orange butterflies and interesting wildflowers, the latter which required ALL of her self-restraint not to pick.
Tiger lilies
Tiger lilies
Monkey Flower?
Monkey Flower?
Columbine
Columbine
Both of them were fascinated by marmots although we didn't see any. I was a source of motivation to make it to the lake. Owls and Pikas would not be enough. Mason was busy enjoying his king-like ride until a bathroom emergency arose. This was the true test to see how fast I could disengage from all the objects draped over me. Alas. Success! When Mason was done watering the plants, we marched onward. We were past the half-way point in only an hour, but soon after, Ava was bitten by an aggressive black fly. She was understandably spooked by this. Mason was wanting out of his throne, so this meant another round of dropping gear after the emergency snacks failed to soothe their angst. Of course, stopping meant more flies descending on their prey, but we were able to get things under control. Mason refused to get in the pack again, but he didn't want to walk. He ardently requested to be on my shoulders. Ok, I can make that happen. I rigged my pack inside the carrier and put him on my shoulders. Done. Right? Wrong! Ava now wanted to be carried after I administered emergency first aid (a band aid) to the violent fly bite. This meant more re-packing. Ok, back to the original setup, only now I was carrying Ava in one arm with Mason in the pack and my pack pushed off to the side in front of me. I figured it was about time to head down. After about 10 minutes, Ava was ready to hit the trail again fully recovered, and on her quest to find the elusive marmot under every group of rocks that even resembled a hole. Mason was on my shoulders again with the rest of the gear. We were back at the car sometime after 3p - a great trip in spite of the flies.
SnowLakeAttempt-100727 - 09
SnowLakeAttempt-100727 - 09
Views
Views
Ava coming to terms with the flies
Ava coming to terms with the flies
3.75 miles and maybe 700 ft of gain

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:49 pm 
Good to know. My sisters 4 and I have been want to get outside more. She recently plowed up to Denny Creek. It would be cool to take up somewhere further. Thanks for the report!

North by Northwest
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:49 pm 
A valiant effort by all! up.gif If you have no breeze those bugs can be no fun...looks like you all had a good time together though! Way to go Dad! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
somegeek

somegeek
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 11:10 pm 
Nice work getting them out on the trail! I like the idea of a 'go to bag' of special snacks. My son(almost 3) also has his bag of cars that goes everywhere if possible. Chuckled when I read that about your son. smile.gif

gyngve

gyngve
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 11:13 pm 
For little kids, they can have so many new adventures and experiences and discoveries before they even get to the first switchback! They don't need the purely artificial goal of "reaching the top". Way to get them out there!

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am 
ha! nice excuse that your son "wanted" to be carried. we all know you're just looking for ways to get in even better shape as evidenced by your ripped 2nd photo smile.gif