Forum Index > Trip Reports > 7/13/2010 Jolly Mountain from Salmon la Sac
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:05 am 
I did this hike from the Salmon la Sac campground, where we were staying 7/12 - 7/15. It was surprisingly difficult to find the trailhead, but finally found it by following the dirt road that goes past the horse camp. This is a fairly steep trail (felt similar to Mt Si), rocky in places, dusty in places, but overall a very satisfying hike and I saw ZERO other hikers on the trail (there was a couple who started out with me, but apparently turned back shortly after starting). Being there on a Tuesday probably contributed to the lack of other hikers, but even in the snowy areas there were few obvious signs of recent hikers.
1085 Cooper lake
1085 Cooper lake
The hiking book warned of fast waters potentially at the creek crossing, but as you can see, it was no big deal (despite mid-July and hot temps).
1088 "Major" crossing
1088 "Major" crossing
1090 First views
1090 First views
The following two descriptions show the limit of my knowledge of alpine flowers. Anyone know what these are?
1094 Lavender flowers
1094 Lavender flowers
1095 Pink flowers
1095 Pink flowers
The ridge top of this hike is very "ridgie", with steep dropoffs to either side. (I love trails like this, at least when they're not slippery!)
1098 Finally at the ridge top
1098 Finally at the ridge top
1099 Stuart in distance
1099 Stuart in distance
1101 Mt Stuart (zoom)
1101 Mt Stuart (zoom)
1103 Jolly Mountain
1103 Jolly Mountain
1104 Mt Stuart, Sherpa Pk, Argonaut Pk, Colchuck Pk
1104 Mt Stuart, Sherpa Pk, Argonaut Pk, Colchuck Pk
Sadly, I was forced to turn back from the summit of Jolly mountain, due to the substantial snow on the final ascent bawl.gif
1105 Final trail to Jolly Mtn
1105 Final trail to Jolly Mtn

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerbiker

hikerbiker
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 11:17 am 
Wow can't believe there is still snow up there this late in the season. Jolly Mt. is a great viewpoint but you still get plenty of nice views up high on the trail anyway. BTW the first picture is of Cle Elum Lake, not Cooper.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 pm 
hikerbiker wrote:
Wow can't believe there is still snow up there this late in the season. Jolly Mt. is a great viewpoint but you still get plenty of nice views up high on the trail anyway. BTW the first picture is of Cle Elum Lake, not Cooper.
Whoops! Thanks for the correction regarding the photo. Yeah, I was surprised by the snow on the final part of the hike ... but then, given how much snow I've been running into lately, not very surprised. Yes, the views, especially towards Mt Stuart, were great.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 8:31 pm 
I looked over to Jolly from Sasse last summer and made a mental note to get up that one sometime. Good photos and nice to know it's still not melted out like so many other destinations this year.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 11:38 pm 
I had trouble finding the trail out of Salmon La Sac too a couple years ago. But once you're on it there's no problem following it. Thanks for TR and the reminder of a great hike.