Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snowgrass Mtn, Grindstone Peak, Chatter Creek 7.23-25.2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 am 
Last Friday afternoon I headed east to the Icicle River area with Snowdog, Sadie's Driver, MiddleE aiming for two peaks on the ridge. Suzanne and Barry had attempted Grindstone last fall but were turned back my fresh snow and icy conditions and wanted another attempt. After stopping for sandwiches in Leavenworth we parked at the washout, along with a dozen or so other cars, and hoofed it to Chatter Creek. The road walk went fairly quickly but the heat was already draining. It was a steep grind from there up the Chatter Creek trail. Hot and dry in the afternoon sun. Making matters worse, when Suzanne stopped for a break her camera bag rolled away somewhere! She was unable to find it and continued on, hoping to recover it later. After several hours we finally crested the pass. Descending the other side we saw one tent and found it occupied by a Forest Service ranger. I've run into National Park rangers occasionally but rarely see a FS ranger. We were planning to camp at Lake Edna but he informed us no camping is allowed within 200 ft (indeed, he was up there to post a new sign about this). So we took his advice and walked further up the trail and found a suitable spot on the ridge away from the lake. It was already about 8pm, later than we'd hoped to arrive, so we ate our dinner, enjoyed some drinks, tried to escape the bugs, and turned in for the night. A bright moon lit up the sky.
Tiger lilies
Tiger lilies
Paintbrush halo
Paintbrush halo
Chatter Creek
Chatter Creek
Rising moon at dusk
Rising moon at dusk
Bright moon
Bright moon
Early morning light and marmot whistles woke us the next day. A quick breakfast and we were off, moving out of camp to escape the mosquitoes. We took the trail up the shoulder of Cape Horn and down to Ladies Pass. There was one steep short snow crossing but it wasn't difficult in the sun softened snow. The flower show was very nice as we made our way down to the meadows near Lake Mary. Along the way we had views of all the Ladies Lakes, all of which were melted and beautiful blue. From here we turned up slope and after a steep climb were in the basin west of Ladies Peak. Snowgrass looked like a nice, easy, rounded ridge walk from here. Anything but, as it turns out! We gained the ridge and continued upwards. We were armed with Ragman's info about traversing to avoid a scramble but were still tempted to follow the ridge. Soon it ended in a cliffy area and class-4 scramble. We took a snack break, dropped back to the low point, and then traversed below the cliffs towards Snowgrass. some steep-ish snow slopes here but they were not bad. After a short scramble and some scree we were on top of Snowgrass! Views were fantastic in the unbelievably clear skies. We considered traversing around the other side of Ladies Peak but opted to just return on trail as before, especially with the amount of daylight we had left. Along the way Elle and I stopped to poke around a small cave in some rocks in the basin. It went back about 20 ft, no bears inside. A steep drop out of the basin and we were once again back on trail. Elle decided to take the meadow and rock route back upwards while the rest of us took the actual trail, crossing another snow slope on the way. From there it was just a long, hot walk back to camp. We ran into two other hikers along the way, one of whom had hiked all the way into Snowgrass today and was heading out. Dropping our gear at camp we walked out to Lake Edna hoping for a swim. Though the lake was melted it was ice cold and the only one adventurous enough was Gusto. The rest of us just stuck our feet in. Back at camp the breeze had died down and the mosquitoes were out in force. Most of us had to retreat to the tents to avoid becoming a feast. Later on the breeze kicked up and the bugs were tolerable enough for dinner and drinks. It was another perfectly clear night with a near full moon, though a bit windier.
Lake Edna
Lake Edna
Ladies Peak and Snowgrass Mountain
Ladies Peak and Snowgrass Mountain
Meadows and snow
Meadows and snow
Upper Florence Lake
Upper Florence Lake
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Rock pile
Rock pile
Snowgrass ridge
Snowgrass ridge
Rainier
Rainier
On the ridge
On the ridge
Traversing below the cliffs
Traversing below the cliffs
Nearing the top
Nearing the top
Top of Snowgrass
Top of Snowgrass
Register
Register
Dropping back to trail
Dropping back to trail
Swim
Swim
Gusto shakes off
Gusto shakes off
Tradition
Tradition
In the morning we again had a quick breakfast, packed up, and headed for Grindstone. The ranger was now gone and we didn't encounter another hiker. Crossing the pass we dropped to the first switchback in the road and traversed towards Grindstone, reaching a nice bench with a few trees and bushes. We dropped our overnight gear here and gained the ridge, getting a look at Grindstone true summit. It looked very far away, with a sizable drop to the snow and rock as our first obstacle. A steep scree path led us down to the rocks. We hopped the large rocks, crossed some snow fields, and then went straight up some steep snow to the summit, finding the register. Again great views and a nice look down into Lake Sylvester. We descended on some rocks to avoid the snow, picked our way back to the scree path, and worked our way back up to the ridge, then down the other side to retrieve our overnight gear. We packed up our stuff and headed out via Chatter Creek. About 1000 ft down I realized I'd only picked up one trekking pole, doh! The other one was still sitting back by that tree. It was too hot and I was too far down the trail to want to go back for it. If anyone is heading out that way or to Grindstone I'd love to get it back though! A drink is on me if you'll pick it up. So we had now lost one camera, one trekking pole, and found a bear bell on this trip. At the point where Suzanne thinks the camera dropped we took a break and searched for it with no luck. We departed, hoping another hiker had found it, and started back to the cars. The next switchback down a little bit of yellow caught my eye; the camera bag! It had rolled down the trail, dived over the side, made it down the slope, and was hanging in a mess of branches at the point of the next switchback. What luck! Now it was just a hot, hot, hot walk down to the Icicle and then a sun baked walk back to the cars. We took a trip over to the creek and dunked our heads in the refreshing water before heading out to Leavenworth for food and then the long drive back via I90. Hot, steep, and buggy weekend but fun!
Ridge to Grindstone Peak
Ridge to Grindstone Peak
Isabelle waiting for Elle
Isabelle waiting for Elle
Distant summit
Distant summit
Dropping to the rocks
Dropping to the rocks
Top of Grindstone Peak
Top of Grindstone Peak
Lake Sylvester
Lake Sylvester

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 am 
Really really nice pics... Love the Rock Pile shot. up.gif Looks like you guys had a good time and some great conditions. Thanks for posting! agree.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Type E

Type E
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am 
Looks like a fun trip. I can't believe how much snow has melted out since I was just there. E

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:20 am 
up.gif Very nice, great pics. I have been wanting to get through there and do Snowgrass and Big C for way to long (in the late summer / fall) maybe this year. Thanks ! up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:21 am 
If you set aside the bugs and the heat, this was a great 3 days of hiking and scrambling. The views were unending! Both summits can be scrambled, but there are some unpleasant sections of steep and loose rock and scree on each. The register on Snowgrass was placed in 2002, and has only been signed by about 3 parties per year, including many NWHiker notables. We were the first to sign for 2010. The register on Grindstone was placed in 1993 - it gets more signage, but has many empty pages left... A few of my pictures:
Grindstone behind camp
Grindstone behind camp
Snowgrass in the distance
Snowgrass in the distance
End of the Snowgrass ridge run
End of the Snowgrass ridge run
Where to drop down from Snowgrass saddle
Where to drop down from Snowgrass saddle
Stuart and Enchantments
Stuart and Enchantments
Snowgrass?
Snowgrass?
First half of Grindstone route
First half of Grindstone route
Second half of Grindstone route
Second half of Grindstone route

pithy yet insightful signature
BarbE

BarbE
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 11:28 am 
Sorry I missed out on a great trip, not sorry about avoiding the skeeters. hockeygrin.gif Great TR and pics and excellent job in spotting the camera. up.gif up.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 12:35 pm 
An excellent adventure!....but did I read somewhere in David's report that it was HOT? /....and that there may have been a few bugs? lol.gif And I want to know how you got that bell off the bear!!!! paranoid.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 4:21 pm 
Snowgrass/Grindstone
TrailPair wrote:
And I want to know how you got that bell off the bear!!!! paranoid.gif
Here's your answer: David said: Along the way Elle and I stopped to poke around a small cave in some rocks in the basin. It went back about 20 ft, no bears inside. That's because Barry and I were ahead of them and he went into that cave, ripped the bear bell from the big ol' sow's neck, and chased her out! agree.gif eek.gif (It's a joke. Just kidding, everyone! lol.gif ) All I can say about this trip is WOW - well, I can say more, actually, but without my camera, I'm speechless. This was one doozy of a trip. Fabulous from start to finish - regardless of bugs and heat. The scenery was spectacular! The solitude was fabulous. And, the friends were superb. Definitely owe David one for finding my camera - when I realized I had lost the camera (about a 1/2 mile from where it fell off my hip belt), I went back to search and beat brush endlessly - but gave up. Didn't even think to look up from the trail below. Good eye, Opus! This about sums up the miscues for us:
Paradise Lost & Found
Paradise Lost & Found
And, it wasn't just a trekking pole and camera, oh no, here's my checklist: Remember to bring tent poles - check, did that Remember to bring water - UhOh shakehead.gif Forgot that! Lose camera on way in - check; find camera on way out - check Lose Tiva flip-flop on trail - find Tiva on trail on way out - check I guess David just didn't want me to feel like the biggest loser, so he had to lose something too! dizzy.gif doh.gif Here are my other pictures from this trip:
Troops heading out to conquer Snowgrass and Grindstone - toasty!
Troops heading out to conquer Snowgrass and Grindstone - toasty!
End of the road . . . .
End of the road . . . .
That's it - I guess I have nothing more to say! Details: Mileage - probably about 30+ Elevation - 10,000+ (including our attempt to summit Snowgrass twice! huh.gif rolleyes.gif ) Took ice axes - used them on the Snowgrass steep slope David described Sunscreen - Used liberally! cool.gif Deet - Not used liberally enough! Lovely weekend!

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 pm 
Great One! I took this shot on Saturday morning from Big Jim. I was just zooming in on the picture on my computer looking for signs of the orange tent, but it didn't show up.
Lake Edna Basin, Cape Horn, Ladies Pass
Lake Edna Basin, Cape Horn, Ladies Pass
Anyway, that whole stretch from Ladies Pass to Mary's Pass, and Frosty Pass is just magical. peace.gif I came in last year from the White Pine/Wildhorse side and in years past looped in from the end of the Icicle and out Chatter. Now, if it weren't for those blasted bugs strange.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 8:23 pm 
Looks like a fabulous trip!

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 am 
Great trip- could have done without the extra road walk, but that keeps the crowds out I imagine.
on our way to Snowgrass
on our way to Snowgrass
big intersection
big intersection
woo-wee
woo-wee
so purdy
so purdy
This was a often repeated theme- Gus in water, Izzy frolicking on the snow.
Gus prefers liquid, Isabel prefers solid
Gus prefers liquid, Isabel prefers solid
mountain babe
mountain babe
In her element!
cave
cave
Okay- the cave story: David & I discovered this cave, and I was too chicken to go , thinking what a perfect bear's lair it seemed. So I made David go.......
me 'encouraging' David to investigate cave
me 'encouraging' David to investigate cave
It was quite deep- and cool- maybe someone used it for an overnight sometime......
classic cascades
classic cascades
tuckered pups
tuckered pups
Who says you can't get dogs 'dog tired'?
Gus is thinking " we're going there??"
Gus is thinking " we're going there??"
Looking towards Grindstone
last bit to top
last bit to top
I like to sit on summits....
I like to sit on summits....
mountain man
mountain man

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 am 
Opus wrote:
In the morning we again had a quick breakfast, packed up, and headed for Grindstone. The ranger was now gone and we didn't encounter another hiker. Crossing the pass we dropped to the first switchback in the road and traversed towards Grindstone, reaching a nice bench with a few trees and bushes. We dropped our overnight gear here and gained the ridge, getting a look at Grindstone true summit. We descended on some rocks to avoid the snow, picked our way back to the scree path, and worked our way back up to the ridge, then down the other side to retrieve our overnight gear. We packed up our stuff and headed out via Chatter Creek. About 1000 ft down I realized I'd only picked up one trekking pole, doh! The other one was still sitting back by that tree. It was too hot and I was too far down the trail to want to go back for it. If anyone is heading out that way or to Grindstone I'd love to get it back though! A drink is on me if you'll pick it up. So we had now lost one camera, one trekking pole, and found a bear bell on this trip. What luck!
Well, your luck changed yet again. Overall you were smart, because you gave a good description and "left" it in a place that only climbers of Grindstone would be passing. By posting it here and shouting out to the community, your call was answered. We found it! EastKing and I were up there yesterday--our sole objective was to summit Grindstone. But I had a secondary mission--locating that trekking pole if possible. Found it! party.gif Details to follow in the trip report soon. PM sent. ~~z~~

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 10:58 pm 
Here is your pole Opus!!
Here is your pole Opus!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 pm 
Nice trip and report and pictures Opus. up.gif up.gif Great find Eastking and Zephyr!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:56 am 
Hooray! Right where I figured I'd left it; leaning up against that tree, ready to be stowed on my pack had I remembered. Thanks!