Forum Index > Trip Reports > 3 Rodents & a Mountain Man @ Gothic Basin 08.28-29.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 2:36 pm 
A couple wks. ago a friend of Marmot & Pika's invited a bunch of us for an overnighter to Gothic Basin. I agreed to come if the weather wasn't too bad. In the end it just wound up being the 4 of us -- MM, Marmot, Pika, & yours truly. wink.gif I had been here once before in October '07 & remembered that it was a pretty nice place so didn't mind coming back. Plus, I figured we might tag Gothic Peak *if* it wasn't stuck up in the clouds. rolleyes.gif MM & I met Marmot & Pika @ the TH ~ 9:30. It was totally packed -- LOTS more cars than I remember from '07. It was disappointing, but I hoped most of the people were either day hikers or going to Monte Cristo / Glacier Basin instead. I guess I've gotten used to doing the non-crowded lesser-known trails so when I do something more popular I'm a bit taken aback. Oh well, that's how it goes. wink.gif We even spotted Trailblazing Todd's car @ the TH. M & P said he was heading up to the Silver Lk. / Twin Lks. area. We wrote a msg. in the dirt on his trunk. wink.gif Looking forward to his TR. up.gif The trail starts @ Barlow Pass along the old washed out rd. to Monte Cristo. There is a sign for Gothic Basin by a stinky portapisser gag.gif but curiously it is not right @ the junction. Instead the junction is a little further up & the sign encourages people to go left for "trails" & cross the river. Go right here instead, staying on the west side of the river. The trail begins as a pleasant walk thru the forest on a gentle grade.
MM, Pika, & Marmot @ the TH
MM, Pika, & Marmot @ the TH
TH sign
TH sign
Resist the urge to go left
Resist the urge to go left
Easy beginning part of the trail
Easy beginning part of the trail
After a bit the trail steepens considerably as it switchbacks up the slope. Eventually it busts out of the bigger trees & gives views toward the east. There are a few minor creek crossings & little falls. I kinda tweaked my ankle while crossing one of the creeks, similar to what I did on Miller Pk. 2 yrs. ago, this time the other foot. huh.gif
Views along the way
Views along the way
Waterfall & pk.
Waterfall & pk.
Pks. across the way
Pks. across the way
Stream crossing
Stream crossing
Waterfall
Waterfall
Pks. across the way
Pks. across the way
Eventually the trail turns pretty rocky & there are some awkward moves up big rocks....especially if you're carrying o/n packs like we were.
Marmot & Pika coming up one of the steep rocky sections
Marmot & Pika coming up one of the steep rocky sections
Little pond
Little pond
Reflection
Reflection
Pks. across the way
Pks. across the way
Falls
Falls
Pk. to the north
Pk. to the north
Flowers
Flowers
Hangin' out in the clouds
Hangin' out in the clouds
After clambering up the rocky trail for awhile, the incline eased & we rounded the ridge into the picturesque Gothic Basin. It was as I remembered, but w/o the fall color this time.
Entering Gothic Basin
Entering Gothic Basin
GB
GB
GB
GB
We continued on up to Foggy Lk. in search of a suitable campsite, being careful to choose an area where we could avoid both wetness, slopes, & heather as much as possible. Finally we found a couple of semi-dry dirt patches in between the heather. smile.gif
Looking back down @ one of the tarns
Looking back down @ one of the tarns
Heading up toward Foggy Lk.
Heading up toward Foggy Lk.
Marmot coming up
Marmot coming up
Gateway
Gateway
Del Campo
Del Campo
Lk. outlet
Lk. outlet
Lk. outlet
Lk. outlet
Foggy Lk. & Del Campo above
Foggy Lk. & Del Campo above
Foggy Lk.
Foggy Lk.
Foggy Lk.
Foggy Lk.
Gothic Pk.
Gothic Pk.
Funky rock
Funky rock
Flowers & rock
Flowers & rock
View eastish from camp
View eastish from camp
Marmot takes in the views
Marmot takes in the views
Del Campo as seen from camp
Del Campo as seen from camp
Camp
Camp
Tarn below
Tarn below
We relaxed for awhile @ camp, keeping an eye on Gothic Pk. The summit stayed in the clouds most of the time, so we had no desire to go up it & figured we'd see how it looked the next day. We had dinner & then walked down to the lk. outlet to filter water. While we were there, we saw some nice colors on the clouds from the setting sun. cool.gif
Dinnertime
Dinnertime
Camp
Camp
Going down to filter water
Going down to filter water
Lk. outlet
Lk. outlet
Late afternoon sun on the clouds
Late afternoon sun on the clouds
Bright clouds
Bright clouds
Marmot capturing the moment
Orange & pink clouds
Orange & pink clouds
We chatted for awhile as the skies darkened, gazing @ the stars above. Eventually everyone was pretty cold despite down jackets & long undies, so we turned in for the night. zzz.gif In the morning, we awoke to clouds. Gothic Pk. was still hiding itself quite well & only every now & then would we get a quick glimpse @ its summit. Nevertheless, we decided to walk up the ridge a ways after b'fast to see if it cleared up along the way.
Morning camp
Morning camp
Patch of blue
Patch of blue
Gothic Pk. in & out of the clouds
Gothic Pk. in & out of the clouds
Gothic Pk.
Gothic Pk.
Foggy Lk. lives up to its name
Foggy Lk. lives up to its name
Hikers in the Mist
Hikers in the Mist
Unfortunately it was looking like GP would be in the clouds all day & we felt it silly to go to the top of a pk. just to see the inside of a cloud so we called it good around the snowfields & had some fun glissading. Unfortunately I think MM lost his walkie-talkie on his glissade (& didn't realize this 'til much later). frown.gif So if anyone is going up Gothic Pk. soon, pls. keep an eye out for a walkie-talkie somewhere on the snowfield on GP's east side. wink.gif
Gothic Pk. in the fog
Gothic Pk. in the fog
MM on the talus slope
MM on the talus slope
Looking down @ some of the snow slopes
Looking down @ some of the snow slopes
Snow slope & tarn
Snow slope & tarn
We headed back down to Foggy Lk., which by no surprise was foggy most of the time too.
Foggy Lk.
Foggy Lk.
Foggy Lk.
Foggy Lk.
Marmot & Pika heading down toward Foggy Lk.
Marmot & Pika heading down toward Foggy Lk.
Back @ camp we had a snack & then packed up to leave. On the way we went to the overlook for Weden Lk., but as we looked down it was mostly obscured by vegetation & clouds. Sweet campsite in that area though. up.gif The hike out was tedious on the rocks, but eventually gave way to the smoother forested trail. Along the way we happened upon a ripening patch of berries, too. hungry.gif
Leaving GB
Leaving GB
Blooming heather
Blooming heather
Yellow flowers
Yellow flowers
MM picking berries
MM picking berries
Back @ the TH there were still lots of cars, but nothing like the madhouse we witnessed on Sat. morning. The trip concluded w/a stop for Mexican in Granite Falls where I sprung for the grande Cadillac, of course. dizzy.gif dizzy.gif Big thanks to Marmot & Pika for such a fun trip & great company! smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up

Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 3:07 pm 
Thanks for the nice trip report. The pictures are great. I especially like the picture at night with the bright clouds. I was up at Glacier Basin this past weekend and got caught in some hail. We were lucky to find a nice cave like rock to sit under for a while. I love that area. lol.gif Is it easy to find the route to Foggy lake from the basin?

Ive got the prescription to get you higher
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 3:21 pm 
Yeah, just kinda turn right/westish & follow the cairns up through a little shallow gully/crack, keeping Gothic Pk. & Del Campo more or less straight ahead. You'll pop over the top of some big bedrocks & see Foggy Lk. up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer

Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 5:38 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Orange & pink clouds
Orange & pink clouds
I was just starting up Silver Lake at 9:30. Nice clouded sunset shot! up.gif I saw this cloud when I was in Lake Stevens, looking back. Got your message, BC. smile.gif

Wherever the trail takes me.
MountainMan

MountainMan
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:05 pm 
My Gothic Basin pics: Starting off:
If they think this is bad, I wonder what they think of the trail higher up?
On the way up:
Pika:
Gothic Basin:
Sunset:
Morning:
Gothic Peak in the Fog:
Foggy lake:
On the way down:
Poop bag for The Angry Hiker: biggrin.gif
Maybe it was from this poodle?

Slow down, take notice, savor the moment, appreciate the world around you and everything that you have.
half fast

half fast
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 pm 
Nice TR... up.gif up.gif I really like GB and FL. It is a great hike and yes it can get a bit dicey on a couple of the rocky sections but it is worth the effort for sure !! Wonderful photos too !! Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif ...

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
polycarp808
carefree cat

polycarp808
carefree cat
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 10:45 pm 
wow, those sunset pics look amazing.

Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up

Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 8:06 am 
That place is incredible! It reminds me of the enchantments with the fantastic reflections that you can get with high lakes and mountains. The colors of the clouds in the suset are so beautiful. I really like how you used the mountain in the corner with its cloud like edges to contrast and mimic the clouds. I also think that the picture of the bright cloud reflecting into the dark landscape is a mind blower! Very inspirational, I hope to get there as soon as I can. Thanks!

Ive got the prescription to get you higher
bertman

bertman
PostThu Sep 02, 2010 12:54 pm 
Those are some really nice sunset photos. Well done. Bertman PS. I had to look this up but technically speaking pikas are related to rabbits so they are not rodents, but the TR title is better this way.