Forum Index > Trip Reports > Toleak Point Quickie… – ONP 07/22-23/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
half fast

half fast
PostFri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm 
Introduction: (Intro from Day Hiking Olympic Peninsula – Craig Romano) “Sand ladders and ankle-twisting terrain climb 250 feet up and over the imposing head-land. Travel through a grove of old growth Sitka Spruce before making a steep decent back to sea level.” Ok, from this point you have to watch the tides and you will do the above all over a couple more times to reach this destination… rotf.gif Directions: Drive 55 miles west of Port Angeles to the State route 110 (Mora – La Push cutoff) and take a right and follow this road towards La Push. Park at the Third Beach TH which is on the Left. The gang: realityguy and me-halffast Fun: 100% There has been plenty of TR’s for this area recently soooo I will just add some photos… enjoy !!
realityguy... we got around this point on the way south but had to do the overland for it on our way back
realityguy... we got around this point on the way south but had to do the overland for it on our way back
on our way... looking south
on our way... looking south
beach looking north from where we came
beach looking north from where we came
Homes away from home...
realityguy and his vintage tent
realityguy and his vintage tent
my home away from home view
my home away from home view
halffast and realityguy at Toleak Point
halffast and realityguy at Toleak Point
More beach fun...
awesome views
awesome views
rugged coastline
rugged coastline
beach in front of my tent site
beach in front of my tent site
beach in front of campsite
beach in front of campsite
crowded tide pool fun
crowded tide pool fun
Sunset...
sunset
sunset
sunset
sunset
camp site camp fire with a view
camp site camp fire with a view
On our way back...
view south from overland trail
view south from overland trail
view north from overland trail
view north from overland trail
This hike is well worth doing. The trail is a bit rough in places but no real problems or major concerns... that said, I am not so sure I would want to do this hike in the rain !! And... it was awesome to sleep with the waves so close... up.gif A wonderful beach hike in the ONP… Thank you realityguy !!

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
half fast

half fast
PostSat Jul 24, 2010 10:09 pm 
EDIT: From Third Beach to Toleak Point is 6 ish miles and at a medium slow pace we were at the Toleak Pt. in 2 1/2 hours. If you are short of time, want a beach experience and to be isolated from most of the crowds... this hike is for you... a great quickie !!

Damian

Damian
PostSat Jul 24, 2010 10:25 pm 
Is the enormous hammock still at that site that was there all winter?

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Jul 25, 2010 4:35 pm 
What fun! I'm headed that way next week! TR to come!

half fast

half fast
PostMon Jul 26, 2010 6:53 am 
Damian... No, someone has taken it down down.gif ... We were camped just south of where it was. Realityguy had seen it the last time he was out there as well. Hikingqueen... Have fun !! Hopefully you will be able to spend more time at the beach as there is plenty of places to explore biggrin.gif .

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 4:42 pm 
Big Hammocks?..I've seen two out there..one at Scott's Creek campground that someone made out of old fishnet on some beach logs..it's gone..and another just north of the actual Toleak "Point" under the first bit of trees overhanging the beach..didn't check to see if it was there this trip. I imagine where it was at..that one might still be there,should stay above the tides..but if people want to move it,"it'll probably grow legs" rolleyes.gif .There were 4-5 sets of other campers there at the time we were there,but spaced well apart with no one within about 50-75 yards of us...in what I consider the "best camping spot" in front of the northern seastack. The Scott's Bluff "cut-in-stairs of wood..are gone with new slides so it's basically a dirt bank again with cut in bank-mud "steps"..with ropes.If it gets wet..it could get slimy and hard to navigate with a heavy pack.Last year's steps were nice..all gone!..just a warning...Taylor Head's rope ladders(Third beach side) are the same and easy to navigate... The two "high tide" problem areas..are one small 25' head(If you don't make the 4.0 to get around it..as I was in one of the pictures of my back..that's the first one) just as you come off Taylor Head to the beach..which does have a trail over the back side of it..and a smaller one out around the point just before Strawberry Point which is pretty much nothing to go over.. but both could probably be still cleared with maybe a 5.5-6.0 tide(calls out a 4.0 below the "heads" there). We did have a bit of chilly wind coming off the water when we arrived but the tide change brought calm and a warm evening/night with it. EDIT:Sorry it took me so long to post.. A neighbor twisted my arm and I had to spend Sunday at Deer Park doing a bit of ridge hiking and yesterday stuck at Shi-shi to Point of the Arches.. bawl.gif ..I figure most of you would understand the cause of the delay... wink.gif Why did I come back to town? confused.gif

half fast

half fast
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 7:49 pm 
What a bummer realityguy that you... "had to spend Sunday at Deer Park doing a bit of ridge hiking and yesterday stuck at Shi-shi to Point of the Arches..." rotf.gif Thanks for telling... the rest of the story biggrin.gif

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm 
Ah, your pics and TR brought back fond memories. I haven't been there in years. I need to get back to that area again - so beautiful.

realityguy

realityguy
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 9:44 pm 
"realityguy and his vintage tent"... About 1980-81..Early Winters Goretex Model "Moonwing"..Hey!Anybody else have one of these? eek.gif ..just wondering...It looks like a cross between the Light Dimension and an Omnipotent's tie-offs... winksmile.gif (yeah..I forgot the wire that goes under the blue hood to hold it out over the door,couldn't find the right curvy stick for in there either. rolleyes.gif ) Oh well.It has a half moon screened vent that opens under the blue tie-outs towards the foot and the front can be opened at any level for a moonroof while sleeping with or without the bugscreen..not a bad design..tight for two in the foot..pretty wide at the top end...no condensation but it was a dry night.)

realityguy

realityguy
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 10:06 pm 
Three of halffast's pictures above...
Quote:
beach looking north from where we came realityguy... we got around this point on the way south but had to do the overland for it on our way back on our way... looking south beach looking north from where we came
One more note..If you look carefully in the third picture here..This is the bay before Strawberry Point(picture taken from..) and after Scott's Camp or Creek...There is a small seastack within the bay on shore near the other end of the bay..this is the other 4.0 "maximum tide point"..about probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile beyond Scott's Creek.You can easily go behind it if you can't get around the bottom of it...It isn't that big...