Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Pilchuck
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Marmot and Pika

Marmot and Pika
PostFri Jul 30, 2010 6:31 pm 
Marmot on his own today. I was very happy the clouds stayed low in the morning and there was beautiful weather up in the Cascades. Got to trailhead at 6:30 (a new record for me, I think) and walked into the observation tower at 10:30 -- I take LOTS of pictures along the way!
Mt. Rainier from Mt. Pilchuck trail
Mt. Rainier from Mt. Pilchuck trail
Mt. Baker from Mt. Pilchuck trail
Mt. Baker from Mt. Pilchuck trail
Various mountains from Mt. Pilchuck
The trail is in fantastic condition. No snow or wet spots. There is a huge sign at the beginning of the trail about people getting lost on this hike, and I know it's true, but I can't figure out how people get lost on this hike! confused.gif It seems so straightforward. I did take this hike once when there was lots of snow, and search-and-rescue was walking some folks down from the peak because they had retreated there and spent the night (without overnight equipment) after getting lost on the way down. Even with snow covering the trail, I didn't see how they got confused. Maybe it's because I've been hiking around here for 30 years! hockeygrin.gif I decided waking at 4am worked out well in terms of the lighting conditions for photos and coolness on the climb. But I wouldn't want to wake up at 4am as a routine! redface.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 5:03 am 
M and P, Glad you had a nice outing up there. People get lost on the descent because they head down before they hit the Little Pilchuck saddle or they don't bear left below the chair lift terminal. In snow and low visibility there are invariably some boot tracks heading the wrong way. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message