Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympics Backpack Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Zloi

Zloi
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 am 
I did a 6-day backpack on the west side of Olympics National Park the last week of July. The trip started at the E. Fk Quinault TH, went up that trail to Enchanted Valley, cut over to O'Neil Pass, descended to the Duckabush, went up to First Divide and down into the Skokomish valley, then linked up to the Graves Ck trail via the 6-Ridge trail, and down Graves Ck to the starting point. For a full report and pix, check out this link: https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1oB_XW_FDj4Pw3dGtsJQ_-A88toA8pz711vNx58pUYL8&hl=en&authkey=CI_VxswL My thanks to the weather gods for perfect conditions!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 2:19 pm 
Hey welcome to the site! That was a great read, thanks for sharing!

Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 5:57 pm 
You're a great writer! I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for taking the time to recount your trip for us. I'm so intrigued by your route~ it's one I dream of often.

Zloi

Zloi
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 3:43 pm 
Thanks for the favorable feedback. FYI: the TR is on a Google Documents link, and when I've gone there to check on it, I've noticed a couple times some bugs when viewing it (it shoots up error and reload messages). I'm thinking of posting it elsewhere--anyone have any suggestions? The original is in Word, so I don't think it would correctly upload to this site. -Tom

ScottM

ScottM
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 4:25 pm 
Nice trip report. I was part of a trail crew that went across Six Ridge last September and cleared the blowdown out. I know what you mean by the up and down. It feels like it will never end. We went the other way and I can remember carrying 4 liters of water between our camp at Belview and our next camp at Seven Steam. There are actually 2 McGravey lakes also. The second one is smaller and in a hole just to the NE of the main lake.

Zloi

Zloi
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 11:41 pm 
Hey Scott, you're a champ to be out working on a trail like that. To me, that's a worthwhile trail project (unlike some I've worked on). I could tell some maintenance had been done in the not too distant past, but besides perennial blowdown/overgrowth, really the trail needs some more signs (they could be be quite minor, cairns even) to indicate how it proceeds across certain open areas. I'm not a fan of orange tape, which is usually overused and ill-placed, but in the one instance I mention in the TR, it was perfect.

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Aug 12, 2010 9:20 am 
Zloi wrote:
Thanks for the favorable feedback. FYI: the TR is on a Google Documents link, and when I've gone there to check on it, I've noticed a couple times some bugs when viewing it (it shoots up error and reload messages). I'm thinking of posting it elsewhere--anyone have any suggestions? The original is in Word, so I don't think it would correctly upload to this site. -Tom
Just copy and paste the text right here in your post. You might have to upload a few pictures to a server somewhere. Flickr is a good choice and is free for up to either 200 photos or 100 MB, I can't remember which. You can link to your photos right in the post. Tom has written some instructions on how to use flickr or other image hosting sites with NWhikers. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10921 If you are worried the text won't format and come over correctly you can click the preview button before you click submit to see how it will turn out.

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostThu Aug 12, 2010 9:14 pm 
I also enjoyed your report. Steel sounds like a real nice scramble. up.gif