Forum Index > Food & Grub > Does food make or break a day hike?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 12:53 pm 
I usually pack a sack lunch. A sandwich, chips, some kind of sweet treat like a Little Debbie's Honeybun or a brownie and a bottle of Gatorade and a banana or 2. That with my Energy Gel Gu pouches along the way does the trick. I also carry a balance bar or two for backup. I even forgot the lunch in the car on Ingalls Creek and it was still enjoyable but would have been better with the lunch. Based on that I wouldn't say food makes or breaks a day hike for me and I'm not going to a bunch of trouble to prepare anything for it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Luc

Luc
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 12:56 pm 
we all forget sometimes that intent can get lost in translation here, and tone of voice goes with it. Dane wrote: "When you're in the mountains you should be thinking about the mountains, not your food. " Dane, knowing you, I think what was misinterperated and possibly misstated was the first sentance, which is an opinion, but not so clearly stated. but we all miss that bullseye regularly! there are so many styles and opinions, and only few facts regarding food choices. I think day hikes and backpacking trips are night and day. And this thread was an ask regarding day hikes. That said, here are some opinions I have gathered since knowing and backpacking with both foodies, and non-foodies. **1 - if your trip is ruined because you forgot your UL whisk and powdered baking powder clown.gif then maybe you are too reliant on the food to have a sucessful trip. **2 - if you are ogling your hiking partners food, or distracted by thoughts of the post hike pizza, then maybe you should consider bringing some pepperoni and chocolate covered espresso beans next time. **3 - if you are losing a lot of weight, consider the the toll a lack of intake can have on your balance, strength and state of mind. **4 - if you are hungry but still forcing the meals down, then it might be a good idea to do something differently next time. **5 - if what is coming out the other end is disturbing or difficult to deal with, consider simplifying a bit! **6 - if you are missing sunsets and wildlife sightings, twilight climbs and alpine starts, consider at least diversifying so that all your time isn't spent staring at the stove and measuring how much fuel you have left. In my experiences, people's kitchen characters at home shine through on a hike. people that eat out mostly usually will internally whine at the idea of slogging over to the creek, filling their water bottle, slogging 200yds away just to wrinse their spoon and skillet. Whereas folks that enjoy cooking and are used to the cleaning, and shopping don't seem to mind it as much. Only a few times have I hiked with a parter who is a non-foodie and have my stuff ogled - and I can say that Dane isn't one of them. Just last weekend we were geeking out in my gear room when I proudly pointed to my bigass box of fancy shmancy meals and Dane responded with "yeah, the food planning isn't really my thing! I'll probably end up a bit jealous, but whatever!" -- to which I respond now with "cool by me! and i'll be jealous when your garbage bag is nearly non-existent and your dinner has been eaten before I even get my chease in the bag to melt!" Regarding Dane's first statement, let's try to take that up in another thread, and not hijack this one more than it already has been. We all enter the wilderness for similar, and yet different reasons. Sometimes I want (and have to be) fully submerged in thought about my surroundings, and other times, I feel that the wilderness is the only place my mind can completely stop.

GNGSTR
KellieD

KellieD
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 7:58 pm 
On day hikes I just take what I need for energy replacement. Typically I carry water, string cheese. raw nuts, jerky and dried fruit. That and water have supplied everything I need. I find I am less hungry and eat- less out hiking than I would at home. Backpacking or overnights I would REALLY appreciate a hot meal!

Every day a new adventure.
DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 10:22 am 
Summer hikes it's either a sandwitch from the deli or a couple energy bars. In the Winter I heat up a can of soup and stick it in my little soup thermos, I still take the energy bars though, not like they weight much and if I get extra hungry they are there.

Phil

Phil
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 11:47 am 
No food doesnt make or break my dayhikes by a long shot. I'm of the "couldn't care less" crowd. Part of that reflects how I feel generally but its also because I don't get very hungry on the hikes I do. I just grab some powdered energy drink, salmon jerky, some bars, wasabi peas, dried fruit, maybe some chocolate. I just want enough to keep me going, with plenty of extra in case my day ends up being a night or two for some bad reason.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Aug 18, 2010 10:43 pm 
Today at Upper Palisades Lake it totally made it. Cold soba noodles with spicy peanut/sesame sauce with chicken, lime and cilantro. I'm doing this for every hike from now on. No more boring soggy sandwiches.
Soba noodles with spicy peanut sesame sauce with chicken, cilantro and lime

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Aug 18, 2010 10:56 pm 
It won't make or break a day hike for me, but I sure do love a really good lunch and a nice mix of special sweet and savory snacks when I've had the chance to pull that together. But we also have a stash of balance bars on hand for the rush-out-of-the-house mode. I'd rather eat stale(ish) bread and just-OK cheese and a few balance bars than miss hiking due to lack of better food options.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Aug 19, 2010 3:23 am 
hot lunch on a cold day is nice, so is hot coffee.. and, as was seen on the recent mt index mess, sometimes a dayhike can turn into an un-planned 3-day trip.... former boy scouts know that it's important to be prepared for situations you can't predict, even if it means hauling extra stuff along. extra food never killed anybody......

half fast

half fast
PostThu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 pm 
More Coyotebell wrote:
... I'm doing this for every hike from now on. No more boring soggy sandwiches.
Yummmmmmm, now that is my kind of lunch up.gif up.gif Oh, you didn't forget the chocolate did you ?? rotf.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Aug 19, 2010 11:22 pm 
Cacao nibs!

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm 
More Coyotebell wrote:
Cacao nibs!
Ya mean -- straight, as-is cacao nibs down-the-hatch????