Forum Index > Partners > North Cascades/Baker area for August 4 or 5 thru Aug 8
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 am 
Really looking for someone to come to the N Cascades/Mt. Baker area for 4 or 5 days starting this Wednesday or Thursday going through next Sunday (Aug 4/5-8) We can do a day hike each day and car camp or a short backback or both. The Hannegan pass area/Cooper Ridge/Yellow Aster Butte/Mt. Ruth would be a nice hike along with the areas around Baker and Shuksan. 4 or 5 days worth of hiking can easily be found in this gorgeous area

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 am 
Depending on milage I'd love to go as the WLT section I was going to do is canceled due to my partner's sprained ankle. I have the 5th - 10th off but would need to carpool to the TH as I don't drive (I can get a ride part way from Auburn.)

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 8:06 pm 
Sounds Awesome!! I can drive Whenever needed. When you said depending on milage, did ou mean driving or hiking? Also, If you had any ideas for a backpack you were interested in, let me know

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 pm 
That would be hiking milage, I'm not one for regular 12mi+ per day and prefer a more leisurely pace of around 6-8mi days, not that I can't handle a 12mi day or two. I'll check with my boss if I can switch my vacation a little and get the 4th off instead of the 9th and 10th. Let me know what you are thinking milage wise when you can so I know if I can handle it. edit: I don't know the North Cascades at all, as long as the milage and elevation gain isn't too much each day I'm good for just about anywhere.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 10:12 pm 
I have been doing lots of looking around and research about all the WA mountains. I will also be able to try and find a place where the chances of complete sunshine are greater. In general I am a hiker that doesn't go way off trail and never goes on snow and glaciers. I can do long fast days that are usually simple but tend to enjoy spending more time in a specific area and going slower. Since we won't be too time crunched I will be very happy with having all days under 12 mi. Only when I have a urge to hike and only one day or less to go out is when I tend to be booking it a lot. Anyways, I really want to spend some nice time in the N Cascades if you like that idea. I know which hikes are good to do and all the specs about them. Were you interested in a longer backback or a bunch of day hikes (where we will car camp each night)? Or both? Certain hikes are day hikes and others are backpacks

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 10:25 pm 
Day hikes or backpacks are fine, I just really need to get away from the cities. I'd need to know which before I pack of course smile.gif Slow with time to enjoy the sights and smells is just how I like my hikes.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 10:38 pm 
Let me know if you get Wed off I'd say we will do a little of both so backpacking stuff and food will probably be needed but a day pack will also be useful PS Don't we all need to escape the cities smile.gif

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 3:18 pm 
I have been approved for Wednesday off. Because we have to stop at the WIC no matter what for permits for any backpacking we do there, I was thinking we may want to use that opportunity to decide where exactly we are going. I'll send you some contact info via PM shortly

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 11:46 pm 
I will have to work on plannig where we will be going over the next day basing it on a number of different variables. Sometime tomorrow (Tues) I will let you know exactly where we will go. I may not necessairly be the N Cascades

i8seattle

i8seattle
PostTue Aug 03, 2010 7:49 am 
Hi Matt, Drake, I am heading out to Hannegan peak, Copper Ridge, maybe go up to Whatcom pass. I was there a few years ago, would like to go back. I was planning to leave on Thursday or Friday, depending on how many nights. I live in Sedro Woolley and so can go tomorrow or when ever to get the permit. If you want to go there and would like more people, let me know, if not, no problem, have a great trip! Andy

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostTue Aug 03, 2010 8:54 am 
I wouldn't mind, if that's where Matt wants to go, we could still head up Wednesday and do a day hike before heading to meet you on Thursday.