Forum Index > Trip Reports > ' Aix Electric '
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paulie59

Paulie59
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 5:41 pm 
On Sat I arrived at the Mt Aix trailhead at 6:30 am under sunny skies. An uneventful hike up –but for the ptarmigan that exploded out of a tree not five feet from me and startled the bejeezuz out of me. As I approached the summit I noticed storms to the east and south – but just some puffy clouds close to where I was. Then I got out my camera and tri-pod to take some shots. I figured I’d wait to eat & sign the summit register. First do some panos and a ‘summit-shot’ of myself and I set up the camera and tripod accordingly. I took a shot and went back to the camera to check how it turned out and found that the portion of the picture with me in it was under-exposed. “Whoops…have to adjust the exposure.” Just then I thought I heard some faint noise – a ‘buzzing’. I stopped and listened. Nothing. I attempted to adjust the exposure setting on my camera, but could not. The display on the view screen was frozen. The camera was not responding to any input or adjustment I tried to make. “Gee….that’s odd...” Next, everything took place in a matter of seconds…. I put my hands on my camera and felt it vibrating… “Huh…what the heck...?” Just then, an inch-long gold colored spark jumped from my camera to my left hand. “Whoa..!!” All of a sudden, the ground was humming….my trekking poles were buzzing like a nest of angry hornets...and I heard a loud rumbling. I looked up to see angry purplish clouds boiling above me. “ Holy @$%# ! “ eek.gif If there was a panicked mountain goat running down from the summit, he would have been passed by yours truly. I was jumping, hopping, and leaping down the rocky terrain below the summit like Baryshnikov at a command performance; not a small feat for my 6’4” frame. I hunkered down in rocky nook and felt my hair starting to stand on end- not being sure if I was feeling an electrical charge or that there was so much adrenaline pumping thru my system it was going into my follicles. There I sat…no gear with me and my camera and tripod sitting atop the summit of Mt Aix like a very expensive lighting rod. I looked above me and saw rain coming down across a valley. I listened to the thunder rumble above the seemingly endless terrain to the east and south. It may be peculiar to the terrain, but I have never heard a thunderclap with the ensuing rumbles persisting for as long as they did. “Well…I have to get my stuff.” So, I decided to wait for a lull and watched as the storms seemed to be brewing due south. They were not going to come to a quick end. So, I dashed up and – without really stopping – swiped my gear from the summit and bounded again down the rocks. Back in my – I hoped – ‘safe’ place, I gazed upwards towards the angry expanse of purple skies leading to an almost otherworldly orange horizon to the south. I looked east and saw gleaming white, almost jubilant – thunderheads forming in the sunny skies. I bided my time for another lull and went down. I missed the path I came up and had to down-climb the rocks on the west side of Aix to intercept what passes for a trail along the talus slope. As I did, I peered above and saw that the major portion of the storm was to the east with just a bit straying over my side of the ridge. Many thoughts came to me on the way down to the trailhead – as one’s mind wanders on the way back. Many of those thoughts seemed to concern the subject of ‘electricity’ - but the predominant thought of mine was, ‘That’s as close as I want to come.”

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 5:55 pm 
Glad you and your gear made it home safely. Electric storms can surprise by coming uphill rather than down. Saw that once in the Rockies. Be safe out there, folks.

Flora
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 5:59 pm 
We had a similar experience at the same place a few years ago and Lynda actually had a leader take off from her head eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Criminal

Criminal
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 6:07 pm 
Paulie59 wrote:
If there was a panicked mountain goat running down from the summit, he would have been passed by yours truly. I was jumping, hopping, and leaping down the rocky terrain below the summit like Baryshnikov at a command performance; not a small feat for my 6’4” frame.
embarassedlaugh.gif Wow! At least you only got a tiny shock. The next visitors to the summit might have been traumatized by your toasted appearance. I have to ask, did you pick up your poles or leave them? If mine were buzzing I'd stop at REI on the way home and get new ones.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 7:22 pm 
Wow. Pretty crazy -- glad you're all right!

Paulie59

Paulie59
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 8:48 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Quote:
We had a similar experience at the same place a few years ago and Lynda actually had a leader take off from her head
Yipe! Did she notice anything? If she was my (now Ex) wife I would have said. 'Honey I missed the shot...just keep standing there." (Which would explain why she's now my 'ex') Criminal wrote:
Quote:
The next visitors to the summit might have been traumatized by your toasted appearance. I have to ask, did you pick up your poles or leave them? If mine were buzzing I'd stop at REI on the way home and get new ones.
Haha! Yeah...I actually thought about SAR coming up and finding me there...embarrassing actually. All the posters in 'KOMO's' news article about me would have said, " The idiot should not have been out there standing on a mountain...he gets the Darwin Award!"..hopefully I would have been found in some type of 'EastKing' summit pose. No....I was focused on getting my things, so I did not even think about grabbing the poles. Well, without them I maybe would have ended up falling down the talus slope on the way back and they would have found me down there - much less 'heroic'. It occurred to me how vulnerable I felt up there. I was able to make decisions but was very much at 'nature's mercy'. It was frightening, humbling and exhilarating at the same time.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 pm 
I was bending down to pick up an ice axe and she said, "Why did you hit me?" hen she say I was 12' away. She had a splitting headache for an hour or so. Needless to say we got off the top the same way you did. eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 9:07 pm 
Amazing description of being caught in a really bad situation...REALLY glad you made it down OK. Does the camera still work or was it toast?

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Paulie59

Paulie59
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 9:30 pm 
Me too!
the Zachster wrote:
Quote:
REALLY glad you made it down OK. Does the camera still work or was it toast?
Thanks...me too! smile.gif Interesting you mentioned that about the camera. I was figuring that if there was enough charge going on that it gave me a shock that it would have - at least partially - fried the electronics. I gave a couple of test shots on the way down and it seemed to be working ok. If any pics come out, I'll send Nikon a nice note! wink.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 9:33 pm 
And post them please! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"