Forum Index > Trail Talk > Solo Hikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 7:29 am 
Hello all...I'm new to this site, so I apologize if I posted this request in the wrong section. I'm fairly new to hiking and I'm a spur of the moment hiker, therefore I'm looking for suggestions on fair to moderate day hikes that are safe for a woman to hike alone (with or without personal protection). I'm from Seattle and prefer short roadtrips since I'm a spur of the moment kinda gal. BUT, if you can suggest a nice hike within a couple hour drive of Seattle, I'm game. Thanks for your help!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 7:55 am 
Welcome to the site! Your post is in the right place. However, it just begs the question of what is "safe for a woman to hike alone". That is so hard to define it practically renders the question meaningless. Some people feel safer on busy trails, but that may actually raise the odds of a bad encounter...and there's no guarantee it will be busy on the day you go, anyway. My advice: carry some mace, or better yet bear spray, if it makes you feel safer, and then stop worry and start enjoying wherever you're at. You might meet a weirdo every now and then but odds are you'll hike your whole life and never get into any real trouble. Sorry I can't recommend any specific trails, I usually hike outside of your posted driving range.

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 8:11 am 
Thanks Dane. I understand what you're saying and I suppose it is a silly question. I do enjoy my hikes and I don't ruin them with worry. I guess a bad experience to one person, isn't to another. As for weirdo's, heck I meet them everyday dizzy.gif! Thanks for your comment! Happy hiking!

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:02 am 
I see a lot of the local ladies hiking by themselves in the northern Puget Sound area on the more popular routes when there are more people on the trails....I guess safety in/around numbers.Pilchuck,Goat Lake, Lake 22,Heather,all seem to retain a lot of ladies hiking by themselves or with a female partner..unfortunately I'm married. rolleyes.gif More than likely you'll find some hiking partners here or on the trails in a similar situation.If it bothers you,pick a pretty busy day(saturday or sunday),grab your bear spray,sharpen your trek poles,and not worry about it too much..

VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:17 am 
Excellent Realityguy...thank you very much! I'll definitely check those places out. I'm cool with hiking alone on day hikes...I'm just making sure I don't wander into any bad places (if there were any). And hey, you're suppose to say "fortunately I'm married." wink.gif Be safe and happy hiking!

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 am 
realityguy wrote:
I see a lot of the local ladies hiking by themselves in the northern Puget Sound area on the more popular routes when there are more people on the trails....
And even when there are few people on the trails... or no one, which explains why you haven't noticed that. smile.gif To the OP: Read the trail reports here, check out the WTA website for more ideas, pick up a hiking book or two. You'll be fine.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:22 am 
Well it kind of depends on what your definition of safe and personal protection is. As a fellow soloist my levels have certainly changed over the years and fair or unfair men are less victimized in the wilderness then women. Be that as it may one may feel safer on a popular trail during higher volume traffic, but in actuality I believe I am safer midweek and it certainly is more enjoyable. One can get to a lot of places within two hours of Seattle so I will suggest either your local library or hit the book section of your nearest REI store for the type of trails that might interest you. Having said that I recommend the Katwalk and go on the Ridge Lake. Then at just two hours drive to the Teanaway for either Iron or Earl Peaks. Some off trail to the top, but the view Stuart from Iron and Enchantments from Earl is amazing! Plenty of trail reports on this site regarding the Kendall Katwalk, Iron Peak, Earl Peak.

VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:24 am 
Thanks Canyonwren. I've been enjoying the TR...great info!

mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:27 am 
Welcome to the site. While some hikers turn up their nose at the thought of spending money on guide books, they're a great resource for people new to hiking and/or the region. Here are two recently published books which detail hikes (in most cases) within two hours of Seattle: Day Hiking: Snoqualmie Region Day Hiking: North Cascades: Mount Baker, Mountain Loop Highway Once you find a hike that interests you, as you're aware, you can research up-to-date road and trail conditions here and at www.wta.org. Since they're outdated, cheaper older guide books are best avoided. EDIT: Checkout this this wta.org beta site I just discovered.

VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:42 am 
Hello SAS: Thanks so much for the list of places...several of the names are new to me. I'll do some research tonight and pick one of these spots to hike. I prefer weekday hikes too. As for my definition of personal protection, it appears that I shouldn't mention that in this section of NWH. I'm not so concerned with running into hungry animals large enough to eat me in the areas I'll be hiking, but I'm thinking about buying some bear spray. This site is really great and it's nice there are so many helpful hikers! Thank you!

VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 10:47 am 
Thanks for the welcoming MO. I will purchase guide books and I appreciate your recommendations...knowledge is good, especially for a rookie like me. Don't want to get myself in a position I can't get out of. Thanks again!

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 11:20 am 
Two+ hours from Seattle will get you to plenty of fine hikes. Personal injury from people and animals (to both genders) is so unlikely in most of Central and Western Washington's backcountry as to be a non-issue. The best chances for crimes against property and exposure to weirdosity are going to be found: 1) within population centers or close to them 2) at trail heads close to good roads 3) on trails within urban parks or close-in trails with little elevation gain. 4) on trails that offer a concentrated stream of potential victims The slimmer the pickings, and the harder the work for the criminal, the less attractive the area becomes for crime. By hiking in a remote area, you are removing yourself from an urban center, and thereby decreasing your exposure to personal attack. City streets and freeways are typically safer places to drive than the two-lane highways that access trailheads. I believe that the biggest small hazard of hiking is getting surprised by some idiot passing or losing control on a secondary road when I am in his path.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 4:40 pm 
Just back from the Alpine Lakes and I would say that any halfway nice Saturday or Sunday you should see about 100+ people on hikes in the Snoqualmie Pass region, such as Snow Lake and Rachel Lake. Other nearby hikes include Denny Creek and the PCT north, both of which seemed to have a fair number of hikers, too.

realityguy

Location: 95% Lynnwood,5% Joyce..wish it was the other way around!
realityguy
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 4:40 pm 
Quote:
I believe that the biggest small hazard of hiking is getting surprised by some idiot passing or losing control on a secondary road when I am in his path.
Was that you I passed after 20 minutes of not letting me by at 10 miles an hour in your jacked-up 4x4 with huge tires trying to dodge wet potholes on the way to Goat Flats? biggrin.gif Okay ladies..I wasn't saying it wasn't safe during the week also..just that I see more loners during the weekend mob scenes... I would say that hiking in the mountains has got to be as lot safer than a lot of places in the city walking at night.The chances are probably very slim in this area that she'll have any bad confrontations with animals or weirdos on the trails.I do agree that the more urban the hike,the greater the chances of running into crazies increases..but so do the number of hikers.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jul 31, 2010 5:04 pm 
realityguy wrote:
..unfortunately I'm married. rolleyes.gif
On the other hand, I happen to be single agree.gif Seriously though, there are tons of great short dayhike options within a short drive of Seattle. If you like challenging hikes and that are not as often used I recently hiked up to Red Mt and Snoqualmie Mt both at Snoqualmie Pass. They are short but offer great rewards for the effort!