Forum Index > Trip Reports > August 1, 2010, Berkeley Park flower show
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolfs

wolfs
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 8:48 pm 
In hopes of seeing a flower show, headed to Sunrise. Got there pretty late in day, scored a primo parking spot in a very full lot (probably helped that we were past the peak time.) Immediately around the lodge there really wasn't that much color evident (no lupine, etc.) Took this to mean that the flowers were probably at lower elevation and made the day's destination Berkeley Park. This turned out to be not just a good choice but a GREAT choice. Flowers here on this day were some of the best displays I have seen at Rainier in any location (Van Trump, Spray, Summerland etc.)
!Arachnid amarillo!
!Arachnid amarillo!
Red white n blue
Red white n blue
Pink paintbrush
Pink paintbrush
Phlox patch
Phlox patch
Upper Berkeley Park
Upper Berkeley Park
Somewhat flat hazy light from clearing storms and marine layer, so mountain views weren't the best, but fine light for all the things we saw up close - flowers, creeks, marmots, birds etc etc.
Marmozilla
Marmozilla
Best part of the trip was seeing the point where the main branch of Lodi Creek emerges all of a sudden from a hillside just below trail - must be underground under a small rockslide and then shows up again there. Bugs intermittently present but not nearly so bad as they often are when flowers are good.
Lousewort etc
Lousewort etc
Lod Creek after emerging
Lod Creek after emerging
I had brought along my "Bigfoot" mini skis in order to cash in on August turns for "Turns All Year." So, on the return leg, in the evening, with clouds starting to take over the higher hills, took five laps on the small 150-foot vertical snowpatch just to skiers right of Frozen saddle on the E side of 1st Burroughs. This wasn't the most burly of snowpatches but the access was easy and ecofriendly. Plus the novelty of mini-skiing Sunrise in August was too much to resist. (For those looking for more aesthetic snowpatches in the area to ski, the one coming off the lookers right shoulder of Second Burroughs offers perhaps 1000 vertical in one shot and is still looking decent smooth and filled in. Or 3rd B is still pretty snowy.) This wasn't really a skiing trip, as I do sometimes. More this was a hike with my family where I *just happened* to have brought my skis along. The Bigfoots are great for this, because the skis themselves are only 2 feet long and easy to pack, and the bindings hook up to any crampon-capable hiking boot. Unfortunately I don't have any good Bigfoot'n pix to satisfy the curious. Guess it's just like that OTHER Bigfoot - elusive and hard to get good pictures of when no one else happens to be there moon.gif On final trip back to parking lot walking up the old campground road, looked over our shoulders to see an astonishing low red sun. I guess that phenomena was visible from quite a few places yesterday.
Red sun over Fremont
Red sun over Fremont

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 8:51 pm 
Crazy skiers! up.gif on the pictures.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm 
Ok Berkley Park was on my short list for tomorrow. Now it is my destination. Thanks for the report.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Aug 03, 2010 7:54 am 
That red glow was so cool!

MysteryMachine

MysteryMachine
PostTue Aug 03, 2010 10:41 am 
wow, cool spider pic

Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up

Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up
PostTue Aug 03, 2010 10:51 am 
great images
Your pictures are really pretty. I love the one with the pink flowers and the fluffy q-tip flowers, its really really pretty. You sound like a really good skier!

Ive got the prescription to get you higher