Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hurricane (6414), Boulder Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:31 pm 
Short version: Ignore the story below, and find your way to the biggest gully just north of the eastern side of the lake. A raft would be your best approach from the trail that arrives at the south side of the lake.
Hurricane Peak
Hurricane Peak
Apparently the word is out that the Tenas Creek road has been reopened. The seven vehicles (5 overnight) at the trailhead were about twice as many as my two previous visits combined. Needless to say, more arrived after EastKing and I started hiking. A huge 'Thank You!' to Bryan, George, and all the other people that fixed the first portion. It was pretty brutal, but is now wide open, with just a couple of muddy sections. The trail is beautiful. The first half has been cleared of downed trees, greatly speeding ascent. This 'boot path' is in better shape than many trails. The open meadows after the woods were ok, with not many flowers. Good path is followed all the way to the dry outlet on the south side of the lake.
Home
Home
Waterfall pano
Waterfall pano
EK seal of approval
EK seal of approval
Upper Tenas Creek valley
Upper Tenas Creek valley
Outlet of Boulder
Outlet of Boulder
Armed with multiple directions to various approaches, I knew we could not miss. confused.gif agree.gif shakehead.gif dizzy.gif doh.gif As we circled the lake counterclockwise a cliffy section forced us up an easy gully. We exited on the left as soon as possible, arriving directly at the outlet of Pear Lake. Two more tents up there brought the days total to 7. eek.gif
Boulder Lake pano
5 labels
Boulder Lake pano
We looked at a very wet gully just down from the outlet of Pear. Eventually we headed uplake, and turned up the first (wet) gully we saw. We were in an upper basin full of snow, granite, and heather. We angled right up the first gully we saw, only to arrive at an even higher basin. We now angled left over the same type of terrain, battling crumholz to top the ridge. As predicted, the east side of the ridge was quite gentle.
Typical hiking
Typical hiking
My favorite
My favorite
Future gully of descent, talus traverse around lake
Future gully of descent, talus traverse around lake
We headed north walking shelves, and ratting a couple of moats. I was happy to have left the axe and spikes at home. biggrin.gif The spire just south of Hurricane proper has an amazing south face. We worked our way to almost due east of the peak, and started a simple scramble. It was no harder than other hiking we did that day. Topping out two things became apparent. Treeline is going up, and the cloud level was coming down. We started enjoying everything from diffused sunshine to fog. The register showed only one party signing in since the washout in 2006. Just a minute later we heard thunder boom to the east, so we headed down.
Moody Glacier Peak
Moody Glacier Peak
Lake Kawkawak
Lake Kawkawak
Lake Toketie
Lake Toketie
Pear Lake below Boulder Peak
Pear Lake below Boulder Peak
Boulder Lake
Boulder Lake
Thrilled
Thrilled
Bacon, tomato, pepper, corn, no cheese pizza?  WTH?
Bacon, tomato, pepper, corn, no cheese pizza? WTH?
Lousy brownies
Lousy brownies
5 points of contact
5 points of contact
Mmmmm, go down now?
Mmmmm, go down now?
Thunderous pano
Thunderous pano
At the col just east of the spire we spied the standard ascent/descent route. It looked easy, and down we went. It started green, but become rockier and looser as we went. A party should stick close together to avoid raining rocks on one another.
Green to silver
Green to silver
Looking up foggy gully
Looking up foggy gully
Eastking - Helmet? Hell yeah! Shirt? Hell no!
Eastking - Helmet? Hell yeah! Shirt? Hell no!
As we dropped we headed north to finish the counterclockwise navigation of the lake. A few trees, gullies, and more loose rock were enjoyed. rolleyes.gif The sun came out in full force just in time for a swim! cool.gif This was when my camera battery died. frown.gif The final navigation around the lake was almost completely loose. After enjoying the solid talus of the south and east shores, this was irritating. It would be easy to get hurt here. While waiting at the outlet I had to ask some fisherman to put out their fire before they left. Another talus descent, a stumble through the meadow, and a quick walk down the trail got us out. I counted 14 cars at the trailhead, and some from the morning were missing. eek.gif 8+ miles R/T, 3600' gain, 8.5 hours car to car The low slung passenger car did not like the 6 or 7 big culvert dips on the upper section of road. Thanks to my mad driving skillz, the Mazdarati did not bottom out. up.gif If one were to take the most direct route, not wander around aimlessly, and remember to pick up the camera before leaving the rest stop, this round trip can be done in ~7 hours. I recommend reading Mike Collins report to get the most out of this area. If I ever go back I would likely do what he did.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:33 pm 
HEY, check it out. A trip report where we dont have to see the Kingster naked! Ya gotta like that. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:42 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
HEY, check it out. A trip report where we dont have to see the Kingster naked! Ya gotta like that. hockeygrin.gif
shakehead.gif Nope....check the pics again lol.gif I still have have not been able to reach that lake. irked.gif Yet all of my August weekends are book full...maybe September. rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
mgd

mgd
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:46 pm 
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Hmmm, are you saying you recommend your exit route over your entry route? Been up there a couple times and only gone in via Pear as it seems a little more sane.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
shakehead.gif Nope....check the pics again lol.gif I still have have not been able to reach that lake. irked.gif Yet all of my August weekends are book full...maybe September. rolleyes.gif
Im talking about the pose! LOL! Hell Brain, Boulder is an easy hike. Ive been there five times. Youll hit it easy.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:51 pm 
Tom wrote:
Hmmm, are you saying you recommend your exit route over your entry route? Been up there a couple times and only gone in via Pear as it seems a little more sane.
X2 on that one. moon.gif

mgd

mgd
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 4:55 pm 
The exit route for that pizza may be difficult.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 5:10 pm 
great, hope more trash won't be left up there now that 6,000 +more people know about that area.... down.gif down.gif oops nevermind, 14 frigging cars at the trailhead? too late...

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 6:23 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
You have not seen Greg's pictures yet. eek.gif
Tom wrote:
What I would like to do is raft across the lake. Since I don't have a raft I would probably do the same entry route, traversing at 5200' from below the Pear outlet, and then doing a rising traverse up the fat gully. Going up is easier than going down. It's loose for the bottom 400', but pretty solid above that. Packed full of snow it might even be fun. The whole mountain is never more than class 2+.
Hurricane magnified
1 label
Hurricane magnified
forest gnome wrote:
great, hope more trash won't be left up there now that 6,000 +more people know about that area.... down.gif down.gif oops nevermind, 14 frigging cars at the trailhead? too late...
I did not check the campsites. I did find a couple of pieces of garbage near the outlet. This lake is beautiful, and it is a short distance from a road. There is not much that can be done except to ask people to respect the land, and put out their fires before leaving.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 6:50 pm 
Awesome trip!!!! Thanks you Magellan for inviting me to this awesome peak. Here are the pictures...
Magellan takes a dip
Magellan takes a dip
DIving away
DIving away
The Lake
The Lake
The Gap
The Gap
Boulder Lake
Boulder Lake
The Marmot
The Marmot
It is running away
It is running away
THe gully
THe gully
Often imitated, never duplicate
Often imitated, never duplicate
Cool EastKing
Cool EastKing
Views
Views
Views
Views
Views
Views
Views
Views
View
View
Views
Views
The last scramble
The last scramble
Frozen Lake
Frozen Lake
VIews from near scramble
VIews from near scramble
More views
More views
More views
More views
Pear Lake
Pear Lake
Hurricane Peak
Hurricane Peak
Waterfall to no creek?
Waterfall to no creek?
Waterfall
Waterfall
Waterfall
Waterfall
Hurricane Peak shows itself
Hurricane Peak shows itself

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Zukismom

Zukismom
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 7:21 pm 
Those "brownies" look like ground up shale mixed with dead moss! eek.gif Please tell me they did not taste quite like that! HA! (That Pizza didn't look too good either!) Time for a backpacking cooking class maybe? doh.gif j/k

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 9:37 pm 
The brownies were very tasty. up.gif up.gif I don't know about the pizza though. Here is my trip report on SummitPost: Hurricane Peak Trip Report
Quote:
Been up there a couple times and only gone in via Pear as it seems a little more sane.
I suspect if you go all the way to the gap by Boulder Benchmark that is the case. If not, the gully is only Class 2 with angles of maybe 45 degrees and actually is not to bad to go up or down. If you fall you will just land on your butt. That being said I would bring a helmet. The one pound extra in weight will help you tremendously in case of rockfall. Here is a picture of it..
THe gully
THe gully

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 10:05 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I would probably do the same entry route, traversing at 5200' from below the Pear outlet, and then doing a rising traverse up the fat gully. Going up is easier than going down. It's loose for the bottom 400', but pretty solid above that. Packed full of snow it might even be fun. The whole mountain is never more than class 2+.
Hurricane magnified
1 label
Hurricane magnified
Would that be a Beckey class 2? uhh.gif Looking at your pano from the outlet I'm not sure I'd recommend going that way. The way I've done it is to bear SE from the outlet of Pear Lake to gain the ridge (see label). YMMV.

NikonHiker

NikonHiker
PostSun Aug 01, 2010 10:22 pm 
I was up there on Friday giving the area a once over and people weren't exaggerating about the garbage. One might mistake it for a dump given that in the talus below the outflow of Boulder Lake I found a pair of sneakers. Where I turned up-hill towards Boulder Mountain I found an abandoned tent body. In the boulders along Boulder Lake I found a tank top shirt. Near the north end of Pear Lake I found an empty salmon egg jar, a plastic food container, some flip flops, some zip ties and even a plate in on the bottom of Pear Lake itself! Plus on the way down I came across a rather large group of overnighters with two dogs and nary a leash on hand. They did that thing I love which was when their critter charged me snarling and barking the one guy shouted, 'It won't bite you! It won't bite you!' However for all my complaining it's still a great trip!