Forum Index > Trip Reports > 2 Chicks on Tinkham 08.02.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 1:46 pm 
Last wk. I responded to HiT's post where she was looking for a good scramble for the following Monday as she mentioned that others were welcome to tag along. She ultimately chose Tinkham Pk. as it would be a nice hike to ease her pulled hamstring back into. I came along as Tinkham is an old favorite of mine & the weather looked promising, too. cool.gif up.gif We live close to each other so she offered to pick me up along the way. After a quick fuel stop in N. Bend we were on our way up & over the pass to exit 62 where we took the bumpy, potholey dirt rds. past Lost Lk. to just before the TH where the rd. got too ridiculous for a regular car to go up. No one else was there. up.gif
Falling over sign
Falling over sign
The trail is pretty flat for awhile & before we knew it we were @ Cottonwood Lk. Small pretty lake but lots of mosquitos so we applied the bug juice. bug.gif
Cottonwood Lk.
Cottonwood Lk.
From Cottonwood Lk. the trail turns more westerly & climbs gently up to Mirror Lk., bigger than Cottonwood & w/some nice campsites.
Trail junction
Trail junction
Mirror Lk.
Mirror Lk.
Mirror Lk.
Mirror Lk.
Mirror Lk.. sign
Mirror Lk.. sign
The trail skirts the eastern shore, rounds to the south & then continues downhill. In order to access Tinkham we took the faint path heading up the ridge just before the main trail starts to descend. The trail is a little difficult to spot in some locations but there is flagging tied to some of the tree branches to follow. The trail gets steep, traverses a small talus slope, then gets super steep for a short bit as it negotiates a slippery dirt/rock/root section. Once above it though, the trail eases up as you follow Tinkham's s/e ridge through the woods, skirting the boundary w/the Cedar River Watershed.
Views on the way up
Views on the way up
Beargrass
Beargrass
Looking up toward Tinkham
Looking up toward Tinkham
HiT coming up the talus slope
HiT coming up the talus slope
The trail opens up to another talus field, ducks in between the trees, & then hits the s/e summit on a rocky exposed ridge. We took some time looking for the register but eventually gave up & figured it might be on the other summit. We had a snack & took pics before heading on.
Little ponds below
Little ponds below
N/W summit of Tinkham
N/W summit of Tinkham
Silver Pk. as seen from the S/E summit
Silver Pk. as seen from the S/E summit
Views from the top
Views from the top
Views from the top
Views from the top
Mt. Catherine (foreground) & various other pks. beyond
Mt. Catherine (foreground) & various other pks. beyond
N/W summit
N/W summit
McClellan Butte & cloud layer
McClellan Butte & cloud layer
BC atop S/E summit
BC atop S/E summit
BC atop S/E summit
BC atop S/E summit
Boot shot
Boot shot
N/W summit of Tinkham
N/W summit of Tinkham
Humpback
Humpback
HiT looking for the register
HiT looking for the register
After a leisurely rest we continued on to the n/w summit. The trail dips down a bit between the 2 high points & climbs gently up to the other one. The other summit has some big rocks & here is where we spotted the register & signed it.
Looking back @ the S/E summit
Looking back @ the S/E summit
Summit register
Summit register
Silver as seen from N/W summit
Silver as seen from N/W summit
Abeil
Abeil
HiT checking out the summit register
HiT checking out the summit register
Abeil Lk.
Abeil Lk.
Cottonwood, Mirror, Lost
Cottonwood, Mirror, Lost
Yikes, looks like my arm is bending backwards!
Yikes, looks like my arm is bending backwards!
We had the summit all to ourselves & soaked up the views for awhile. Then, it was time to head down. Back @ Mirror Lk. we came across 2 young guys & their pooch lazing by the shore; one of them looked as though he was buttoning up his pants as we approached. hmmm.gif They asked about how to get up Tinkham from this side as they had only climbed it from the other side on previous trips, so we described the way. Sounded like they were camping that night & might head up the next morning.
Heading out
Heading out
We made pretty good time back to the car & found 2 other trucks parked @ the TH, presumably belonging to the 2 guys as we had seen no one else all day. Big thanks to HiT for letting me tag along for this hike, she is great company & I was able to keep up (prolly only due to her recovering from an injury!). smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tall Hiker Man

Tall Hiker Man
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 2:03 pm 
Nice report! Glad you are back at it HiT!

veronika

veronika
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 2:27 pm 
Thanks! I had a great time and surprisingly, it did help the hammy tremendously after the ice pack all night Saturday and all day Sunday. Great job BC and you are not a slow hiker... you set your pace perfectly for relaxing hiking. up.gif It was an almost perfect hike minus the bugs. rant.gif We were intially thinking we weren't going to get any views as it was rainy, foggy and cloudy when we left Auburn. She lives like 3 miles from me so it was perfect. By the time we got to North Bend, you couldn't see Si. All that changed just about the time we parked the car. I will add on some pics this evening as well. Thanks for coming along. Otherwise on the way down, I would have kept following those damn flags instead of turning off trail and back down the steep section! dizzy.gif I don't want to know where I would have ended up. shakehead.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
veronika

veronika
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 4:58 pm 
Cottonwood lake pano.jpg
Cottonwood lake pano.jpg
mirror lake pano.jpg
mirror lake pano.jpg
pano of peaks.jpg
pano of peaks.jpg
rough road walk.JPG
rough road walk.JPG
BC making her way up the scramble.JPG
BC making her way up the scramble.JPG
Boot shot.JPG
Boot shot.JPG
butterfly.JPG
butterfly.JPG
Mirror Lake???.JPG
Mirror Lake???.JPG
Silver peak with Kaleetan and Chair peaks to the right.JPG
2 labels
Silver peak with Kaleetan and Chair peaks to the right.JPG
Summit shot 1.JPG
Summit shot 1.JPG
Summit shot 2.JPG
Summit shot 2.JPG
BC making her way to the summit.JPG
BC making her way to the summit.JPG

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 pm 
great shots ladies and it's funny you use the word hammy because I am sure most readers would have loved to have been the sandwich filler hiking between the two lovely white breads on this hike! smile.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 5:04 pm 
HiT, too bad you gotcher butt in a sling....but you're a babe anyway. Looks like a great trip you guys had. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Yet

Yet
PostWed Aug 04, 2010 7:44 pm 
Looks like a nice trip, ladies! Tinkham is one of my favorites, too. up.gif smile.gif

ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 9:09 am 
BAck at it :thumbsup
Good to see you are back at it HIT up.gif Great pics and TR BC.

VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 9:53 am 
That looks like great fun! Beautiful pictures!

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 am 
Curtissimo wrote:
....most readers would have loved to have been the sandwich filler hiking between the two lovely white breads on this hike! smile.gif
shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif shakehead.gif I would have expected a comment like that coming from me.......... Nice photos ladies up.gif

veronika

veronika
PostThu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am 
Thanks everyone... it is great to be back at it. Even though I was only down Sat and Sun it was a bummer! I am used to being out every weekend for the past 2 or 3 months. hockeygrin.gif