Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crowell Ridge, Salmo Priest Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 11:25 pm 
Most folks use this trail to bag Gypsy Peak, one of the 50 highest in Eastern Washington (don’t ask me the definition of “Eastern Washington”). I went the opposite way on the ridge, and roam it's idyllic meadows for a couple of miles, and spent the day there. Drive the main trunk road (2220?) to a bridge, then a 2nd one (one lane).* Take the first gated road on the left. Drive 11 miles to the end and the trailhead. Narrow road in places; you will dread meeting an oncoming vehicle. It is a very pretty drive.
Crowell Ridge - road and fog
Crowell Ridge - road and fog
The trail has received recent work. You soon hit the Wilderness Boundary. Wow! the western azalea was in full bloom – acres and acres of this beautiful creamy-white flowered shrubbery. It was very foggy and cool. I loved it.
Crowell Ridge - not a great photo, but acres and acres of Western azalea are in FULL BLOOM
Crowell Ridge - not a great photo, but acres and acres of Western azalea are in FULL BLOOM
Crowell Ridge - Western azalea
Crowell Ridge - Western azalea
The trail gently turns upslope, and soon enters meadows. Tons of horn-beaked lousewort, the most prevalent flower blooming in the area. Some other yellow fuzzy thing was blooming too, but just starting. The slopes are dotted here and there with subalpine fir.
Crowell Ridge - fog and western azalea
Crowell Ridge - fog and western azalea
I turned left to hike the ridge, instead of right, to bag Gypsy Peak. I spent all day roaming and wandering this gorgeous slope. Ethereal in the fog, later idyllic in the sunny afternoon. I can’t wait to get back to this ridge and next time, camp up there! The other trailhead is near Sullivan Lake. I don’t know if this is a popular trail – the book describes the other road as being quite rough. The road I took is a good road, just extremely narrow and airy in places. It closes for wildlife boppity-bop privacy on August 15th. I can't wait to get back here and backpack the whole ridge. Anyone know the condition of the other access point(s) to Crowell Ridge?
Crowell Ridge - Gypsy Peak
Crowell Ridge - Gypsy Peak
Crowell Ridge - Gypsy Peak from ridge
Crowell Ridge - Gypsy Peak from ridge
Crowell Ridge - O Canada - see 100 foot swath of border, center of photo
Crowell Ridge - O Canada - see 100 foot swath of border, center of photo
Crowell Ridge - goes on and on - see trail in center, continues to sidehill big mtn to the far left
Crowell Ridge - goes on and on - see trail in center, continues to sidehill big mtn to the far left
Crowell Ridge - lots of horn beaked lousewort and Gypsy Peak
Crowell Ridge - lots of horn beaked lousewort and Gypsy Peak
Crowell Ridge - nearing the ridgetop, morning
Crowell Ridge - nearing the ridgetop, morning
Crowell Ridge - trail soars up the slope, sidehilling
Crowell Ridge - trail soars up the slope, sidehilling
Crowell Ridge - view
Crowell Ridge - view
Crowell Ridge - view2
Crowell Ridge - view2
friend of Jackson Browne
friend of Jackson Browne
*true to form, ole Quark just jumped in the truck and took off. I had my Washington Gazetteer, but the last 2 pages are missing from it. rolleyes.gif I didn't have a Forest map, either, so just went by directions given me by the Backcountry Horsemen, who I camped with for 2 nights. It's fun to just show up somewhere. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 12:27 pm 
I would like to do that ridge-hike sometime to Sullivan Mountain. It looks like a fun ridge, and the scenery is nice.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message