Forum Index > Trip Reports > Phelps Creek 7/3-4/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
daffish

daffish
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 3:52 pm 
A decent weather forecast and a desire to get out into the wilderness led us to plan an overnighter to Spider Meadow. We did this same trip several years ago with great success and looked forward to a repeat experience. But the nature of the Cascades is that you rarely can experience the same place in the same way and indeed, that was what happened. Not in a bad way, just different. The snow levels were our main concern as neither of us was enthusiastic about camping on snow. At the trailhead, we talked with a ranger who had just returned from the meadows and received an accurate report of what to expect. The snow started in earnest at the Wilderness Boundary; only two and a half miles up the trail and a full three miles from Spider Meadows. Uh oh. Yet, we headed out in the sunshine with eager hope and confidence. This trail should have a sign reading, ‘Stream crossings ahead’. Laurel counted over thirty stream, creek, rivulet, or running water crossings from the trailhead to Spider Meadows.
creek hopping
creek hopping
log crawling across Box Creek
log crawling across Box Creek
Chipmunk Creek
Chipmunk Creek
Leroy Creek
Leroy Creek
another stream crossing
another stream crossing
We did reach solid snow at the Wilderness Boundary and proceeded onward over a hard crust of debris laden snow. Many boot prints had marked the surface so there was little concern about losing the way. In about a half mile, we came to a pleasant snow free area with a small meadow next to Phelps Creek and stopped for lunch. Discussing our options and reviewing what the ranger had told us, we decided to camp here for the night and just day hike up to the main meadows. We set up the Pumpkin Hut (our tent) and I stashed most of my gear inside to relieve my pack of over 8 pounds before continuing up canyon.
snowfree camp site
snowfree camp site
view from campsite
view from campsite
For some strange reason, Laurel left almost nothing at camp and hiked up river with a full pack. Of course, for another strange reason, I left all my food behind and it was already mid-afternoon. Leroy Creek was heavy on our minds, because during our last trip here at the same time of year, the crossing was thigh deep and exciting. This year, it was an easy calf deep wade across; almost a letdown to our expectations. Several more miles through snowy forest, slowly gaining elevation, finally brought us to the edge of the meadows and welcome scenery.
please stay on the trail
please stay on the trail
a multitude of bootprints went across this bridge
a multitude of bootprints went across this bridge
snow melt pattern
snow melt pattern
With these pieces of rotting wood, the individual tree rings could be peeled like paper.
With these pieces of rotting wood, the individual tree rings could be peeled like paper.
Spider Meadows were still mostly snow-covered, deeply sun cupped, and the sun was now hovering at the edge of Phelps Ridge. We rested, drank in the views up to Spider Gap and the surrounding peaks, and when the shadows created from the descending sun reached us; we stood up and headed back down valley.
Spider Meadow
Spider Meadow
suncups
suncups
Spider Meadows
Spider Meadows
Phelps Creek running thru Spider Meadows
Phelps Creek running thru Spider Meadows
Quickly covering the three miles back to our campsite, we arrived and piled on warm clothes while cooking dinner in the cooling evening. Snug in the Pumpkin Hut, tired and fed, we both slept soundly.
the Pumpkin Hut Dance
the Pumpkin Hut Dance
The next morning was cloudy and with deteriorating weather, we started the easy hike out. Half way to the trailhead, on a whim, we went down an old side road and came to some interesting mining artifacts. There were two old railroad flatcars that had been used to create a bridge, presumably to access audits across Phelps Creek.
bridge made from railroad flatcar
bridge made from railroad flatcar
Be Careful
Be Careful
railroad car bridge
railroad car bridge
old bridge section
old bridge section
underside of bridge
underside of bridge
Then we wandered back up to the trail and out.
budding Glacier Lily
budding Glacier Lily
emerged Glacier Lily leaf
emerged Glacier Lily leaf
budding Bluebells
budding Bluebells
catkins
catkins
Trillium
Trillium
Phacelia bloom
Phacelia bloom
new growth
new growth
Phelps Creek
Phelps Creek

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 pm 
The old rail cars are interesting. Think how different things were when it was possible to get that kind of stuff in there!

ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostSat Aug 07, 2010 11:14 pm 
I was here today and think I found the old road. It looked to be about in the location you have on the map. It went west from the trail and looked like it curved south. It looked like it went steep down to the river. It started out looking like a trail then two parallel trails -- I thought must be an old road. If you kept following it at one point the two trails became one wide trail the width of a road, then it began to get pretty brushy. Does this sound right? I wasn't sure whether to keep following it and had others waiting for me. Seemed like it could take a while to go through the brush if it led all the way down below to the river, but if that sounds right next time I'll keep going through the brush (how far is it?)