Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiker falls into waterfall on Aasgard Pass, later dies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 11:53 am 
GeoHiker wrote:
People die on Aasgard almost every year and the permit system only enforces that. Sorry to hear about another victim. RIP
Don't you know by now not to voice your opinion? rolleyes.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
maggieg

maggieg
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 12:01 pm 
Aasgard Hiker
Thank you to those who have posted notes of condolences. The hiker who was killed on Aasgard Pass was my brother in law, Steve. He was 52 years old, not 47 (although I suspect he would take the lower number as a compliment). He was a father, son, brother, uncle and my brother in law. We are grieving and making plans for "what next." I will share the kind words with his family. With peace- Maggie Grate

Maggie Grate
zeroforhire

zeroforhire
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 12:03 pm 
^ So sorry to hear of your loss.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 1:06 pm 
God bless you and your family Maggie. We are all very sorry for your loss.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
veronika

veronika
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:00 pm 
It is very sad indeed. God bless to your family.

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:06 pm 
Maggie, A couple of years ago my daughter and I went up Aasgard the next day after a father and young teenage son fell to their deaths just a few hundred yards from there. Every time I am in that area I think of them and the wife/mother. My condolences go out to your family. May you find peace.

climbonice

climbonice
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:28 pm 
Re: Aasgard Hiker
maggieg wrote:
Thank you to those who have posted notes of condolences. The hiker who was killed on Aasgard Pass was my brother in law, Steve. He was 52 years old, not 47 (although I suspect he would take the lower number as a compliment). He was a father, son, brother, uncle and my brother in law. We are grieving and making plans for "what next." I will share the kind words with his family. With peace- Maggie Grate
Sorry for your loss Maggie. I was coming down Asgard as he was being flown out on Sat morning. As for the comments out permits, this was an accident just leave it at that, there is no reason to speculate. Asgard pass is not an easy "hiking" trail and if you get off the marked trail conditions get much worse and the terrain much more technical. It's especially difficult while descending if you carrying a heavy pack, if it's getting dark and or if you're tired.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:52 pm 
I am very sorry for your family's loss Maggie.

WildWaySeeker

WildWaySeeker
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 pm 
Aasgard and the permit system for the Enchantments.
Don't blame the permit system for this death. We were camped near Isolation Lake just below the pass the evening this happened and were there for four nights. We ran into a number of parties of differing skills, preparation and motivation. Sure, some day-hiked Aasgard because they did not have a permit for camping in the Enchantments zone, but many chose to hike it because they didn't want to carry a heavy pack up the pass. Others simply wanted to hike through from Colchuck to Snow Lakes. We met three groups of from 2 to 5 people who were trail running it as part of a run from Colchuck TH to Snow Lake TH. The bottom line is that people will attempt Aasgard with or without a permit system. And some will do so with little skill and preparation. I make no judgment here about the deceased hiker as I know nothing about his situation. But others we saw were pushing the limit in skill, prep and safety. I do believe that without the permit system this magnificent place would be loved to death.

intoverflow

intoverflow
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 12:59 am 
I was in his party. He was a formidable hiker. He's ascended Rainier. This was his third trip on Aasgard Pass in three years, always during this same week. We were camping down at Colchuck Lake with several days left in our trip, and had only made a day trip up the pass to see the upper Enchantments. I saw him fall. It wasn't a case of recklessness or exhaustion. It really was a one in a million accident. He had a small slip, like we've all had, and he almost recovered his footing. It was by massively unfortunate circumstance that the cost was so great. He's been my friend and mentor for the past 10 years. He was a man of incredible charity and passion. I would have an easier time with his accident if I believed there was no good reason for him to be where he was, but (without getting into the details) this wasn't the case. On Friday we lost one of our own.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 1:11 am 
Intoverflow, burncycle, and Maggie, I can't imagine your pain and sorrow, but simply know I'm terribly sorry for your loss and hope that you may one day come to find peace in the fact that he passed away living life to the fullest and surrounded by what he loved. May he rest in peace.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 1:19 am 
intoverflow wrote:
I was in his party. He was a formidable hiker. He's ascended Rainier. This was his third trip on Aasgard Pass in three years, always during this same week. We were camping down at Colchuck Lake with several days left in our trip, and had only made a day trip up the pass to see the upper Enchantments. I saw him fall. It wasn't a case of recklessness or exhaustion. It really was a one in a million accident. He had a small slip, like we've all had, and he almost recovered his footing. It was by massively unfortunate circumstance that the cost was so great. He's been my friend and mentor for the past 10 years. He was a man of incredible charity and passion. I would have an easier time with his accident if I believed there was no good reason for him to be where he was, but (without getting into the details) this wasn't the case. On Friday we lost one of our own.
Thanks for sharing that. It is a good reminder that even one misstep can be too many. Sorry for your loss.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
burncycl

burncycl
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 2:07 am 
to set the record straight
Dear NWHikers, Thank you for your thoughts and prayers for my Dad - Steve Grate (the hiker that died), myself - Michael (his son), and our family & friends. My Dad was 52 years old. He was an avid hiker, an Eagle Scout, and well versed woodsmen (to say the least)....This was his third visit to the Enchantments (my best friend and I's first time). As mentioned above, no extent of experience could prepare or prevent what happened. The entire Alpine Lakes Wilderness area is inherently dangerous. My father, who loved the outdoors and photography, was on a cliff edge taking pictures of the waterfall and beautiful scenery the Enchantments/Asgaard pass has to offer. He made one false move and slipped on a rock and fell 25 feet into a snow cave. Badly injured my best friend Tim and I pulled him from the icy water. Rescue workers soon arrived at the scene....Everyone involved did their very best to save his life, above and beyond the call of duty (God bless you David, Adam, and Ian). For the record, we were fully permitted to Colchuck lake for the weekend. We day hiked to the upper Enchantments and on the decent this tragic event took place at 7:30PM with plenty of sun to spare (we had head lamps, just in case). We were along the boulder scramble waterfall line "crab walking" to take in the scenery and avoid the slippery gravel on the main trail. My Dad even mentioned how much fun he was having on our decent, and how his other fellow climbing buddies, who he had hiked with both years before had joked calling him a "mountain goat" because of his affinity for traversing the rocks. Our intent was to make a quick stop at the cliff/waterfall and then move across to the main trail. He died with me, whom he was closest to.....His step son, who he loved very much, just married this year and not but a month earlier I graduated from college. He died one proud and happy man! The happiest I've seen him in years! This has been very tragic for all who knew him. His death has caused huge ripples across the universe and words cannot describe how incredible a man or father he was. I miss him so much! The lesson I can share with you from this tragedy is to live life to the fullest, revel and share your experiences, and let the people you love in your life know how much they mean to you....One can never know when death is upon us. Rest in Peace Stephen Michael Grate October 23rd 1957 - August 6th 2010 http://www.burncycl.net/inmemoryof/

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 6:32 am 
Intoverflow and burncycl, thank you for sharing first hand what happened that day. My heart goes out to you. May he rest in peace. And, may you eventually find peace with his passing.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
RickZman

RickZman
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 7:45 am 
Intoverflow and burncycl, thank you for sharing your sad experience. It is wonderful, burncycl, reading about you love for your father. I know how quickly this type of accident can happen since I slipped and fell on the way up Aasgard on July 2nd. Mine fall was on snow. My sincere sorrow to your family and friends for you loss. Rick

RickZman