Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 11:13 am 
gregor wrote:
are the green trail elevations wrong? it says the elevation at the longs pass/esmerelda basin trail head is 4200, with longs pass being 6300, thus 2100 ft of gain, and 6.0 miles to the 4th creek trail junction. at the beverly creek trailhead it says 3600ft, with the hight point marked as 5600ft, thus 2000 ft of gain and the distance 6.9 miles to 4th creek junction.
I did the Fourth Creek route to Argonaut last weekend with an overnight at Ingalls Creek. My GPS track says it's 5.5 miles to Ingalls Creek, 3600 at Beverly TH to 5545 at the pass, or 1950 gain. GPS distances are usually overstated because of jitter in the measurements along the way. Either way, it's an easy hike in, but a long tiring slog coming out after doing any of the Enchantment peaks from Ingalls Creek. Kudos to people who do it all in one day. FWIW, there was another party on Argonaut and they chose to approach via the Beverly/Turnpike instead of Beverly/Fourth. I think their beta indicated easier going in the forest by starting up further west, but the Ingall's trail is much farther from and higher than the creek at the Turnpike confluence. I don't really get it. We generally followed this reports route but drifted east a bit and ran into alder, which we escaped by flailing back west.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 1:57 pm 
Having done both approaches--Longs for Sherpa, Turnpike for Argo--Turnpike is definitely longer as it is a fair bit of distance to drop down to the creek. Longs definitely has more elevation gain, but feels more direct. Either works. Good camp just on the other side of the creek via the Turnpike route. Those GT numbers for the Longs Pass approach are correct.

Gregor
Gregor

Gregor
Gregor
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 3:08 pm 
thanks im heading out there to do Agronaut tomorrow, hope the weather holds