Forum Index > Trip Reports > No Revolution 8.10.11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Type E

Type E
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 4:48 pm 
Last week I needed something close so that I could devote what little time I had to hiking instead of driving. I hadn't used the trail from the Middle Fork Road that connects to the Granite Lakes Road before the road crosses Granite Creek. I was able to easily find the trail and I was glad it was in good shape and easy to follow. I crossed the creek and started the mindless road walk to the ridge line. About a mile I stopped for a short break and could never regain any ambition to continue. I started back and then turned around and started up again. This didn't last long, I was just plain worn out and couldn't push myself to go any further. Making my way back down I entertained thoughts of a virus or some other ailment that was sapping my energy. Throughout this week I felt better and yesterday I kept in low key. This summer work schedule seems to be taking more of a toll on me then what I suspected. I had plans for this evening so I was out the door at 0700 and quickly made my way to my jump off point. I wanted to do the same hike to see if there was any improvement to my stamina. I was able to push up the steep areas and quickly joined the GLR. I suspect this shaves nearly 30 minutes of the standard approach and even more for the descent. I was able to keep the elevation ticking away. I reached an overgrown area that was soaked with recent rains and promptly got quite wet. The fact that I was now in the clouds didn't help things as it was very wet for August. Instead of staying on the mainline I took the spur that traverses to my objective of Revolution Peak. I reached the end of the road and added some waterproof layers and made my way up the soaking slopes. I made the ridgeline quickly and that is when things slowed down. The ridgeline was slow going with gnarled trees and slippery duff slopes all with no visibility. I reached what seemed like the highest point around and I was dismayed that I was short the needed elevation to be Revolution. I was starting to feel sketchy being solo with the uber slippery slopes. I found a way to traverse just below the ridge and started making up some ground. I reached an area that I would have to traverse some wet mossy down sloping slabs. I gave some debate but decided since more than likely I will need to reclimb it anyway when I make my way to Russian Butte I didn't think the last few feet were worth the added risk. On the way down I attempted a downward traverse using veggie belays to keep my footing intact. I thankfully reached the end of the road for the long trudge back. While I can't say that I felt 100% I do feel much closer to normal.... whatever that is. Approx 12 miles 4400' of climb 6 hours car to car

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 9:21 pm 
As silly as it sounds, I'm 0 for 3 trying for Revolution. It's deceiving because "how hard can a road walk be?", except it still has all of it's 4000' to climb, road or trail. Like you, I've been turned back twice by weather and wet slippery slabs on that ridge, and the third time by a slower partner (my daughter, so that's fine). Twice I pushed bikes up the road portion, which I will do again because the ride down is so frick'n cool and fast.
Our turn-around spot
Our turn-around spot

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 11:11 pm 
Your mention of Russian Butte reminded me to check fording conditions on the Middle Fork. I looked at the USGS website and see that flow has been about 300 cfs which is normal for this time of year. Back in June we had a peak value around 6000 cfs. Now would be a good time to tackle Russian Butte from the Pratt River Valley.