Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Forgotten summit at last!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 12:55 pm 
I had been to the meadows twice but never made it to the summit, I finally made it.
me
me
Perry creek falls
Perry creek falls
Mts in the Mist
Mts in the Mist
Mt Forgotten from 1st viewing area
Mt Forgotten from 1st viewing area
a different world!
a different world!
'trail' beyond meadows in center of photo
'trail' beyond meadows in center of photo
river far below
river far below
trail just prior to gulley
trail just prior to gulley
we're going there?
we're going there?
I only 'appear' tired
I only 'appear' tired
widowmaking 'hanger'
widowmaking 'hanger'
Forgotten Summit
Forgotten Summit
'trail' across Perry Creek.
'trail' across Perry Creek.
The RT distance I believe is just under 12 miles with 3700-4000 feet of vertical gain. I took frequent breaks and spent about a half hour or so at the summit. Trip duration: 10.5 hours. A long day hike to be sure.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:09 pm 
Great stuff! A worthy hike indeed. up.gif How come some pictures are tiny and some are very big? confused.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:18 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Great stuff! A worthy hike indeed. up.gif How come some pictures are tiny and some are very big? confused.gif
I had the settings wrong on the upload photo page, my excuse is that I was somewhat tired from the hike, fixing them now.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
veronika

veronika
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:44 pm 
Thanks for doing up the TR CJ. Good job and well put. It was indeed a long and tiresome, but enjoyable day! I kept my smile on the whole trip to get past the weather and grueling elevation gain! winksmile.gif I finally placed the NWHTSR... pics of location are in this thread "NWHikers Traveling Summit Register I did some research and the RT mileage from the "old" trail head is 11.5. From the parking lot to the old TH is about 1.25 miles. Unfortunately the road is closed so you have to start at the "new" TH (Mt. Dickerman parking lot) thus, RT is approximately 14 miles. I am sure this will be debatable. clown.gif All in all, aside from the crappy weather, it was definitely a great hike. The elevation gain is something like 3905'. It was clear for the most part until we reached the bottom of the final gully. The clouds rolled in at that point and it was a steady drizzle with off and on rain the entire trip back to our cars. I think I was getting delerious because everything was looking green towards the end... even the rocks. dizzy.gif lol.gif I had to take pictures to examine later and confirm. It turns out they weren't green. I have no clue what was going on there. huh.gif Because of the rain and slippery conditions on the summit, I decided to settle for the false summit to be on the safe side. This is definitely one that I need to get when the weather is better. It was almost a Dickerman repeat. Not a view in sight... shakehead.gif As for the Perry Creek TH sign stating that mountaineering skills required to venture past the meadows, I highly disagree. According to this, am I no longer in training and now considered a mountaineer? rotf.gif Here are my picture contributions with a little of everything. I want to get the damn flower pics out of the way first! I don't even know why I take them. confused.gif Then we can move on to the ones with no views. lol.gif
Rain drops on leaves.JPG
Rain drops on leaves.JPG
012.JPG
012.JPG
048.JPG
048.JPG
051.JPG
051.JPG
052.JPG
052.JPG
013.JPG
013.JPG
Now, random stuff...
company on the trail perhaps?
company on the trail perhaps?
Perry Creek Falls 1.JPG
Perry Creek Falls 1.JPG
Perry Creek Falls 2.JPG
Perry Creek Falls 2.JPG
Perry Creek Falls 3.JPG
Perry Creek Falls 3.JPG
trail as seen from the meadows.JPG
trail as seen from the meadows.JPG
039.JPG
039.JPG
This trail seems to lead no where.JPG
This trail seems to lead no where.JPG
A rock that I thought was green.JPG  :shakehead:
A rock that I thought was green.JPG shakehead.gif
Here come the magnificant views
060.JPG
060.JPG
063.JPG
063.JPG
072.JPG
072.JPG
078.JPG
078.JPG
096.JPG
096.JPG
087.JPG
087.JPG
027.JPG
027.JPG
042.JPG
042.JPG

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:50 pm 
HiT wrote:
I want to get the damn flower pics out of the way first! I don't even know why I take them. confused.gif
Cause they're pretty?

veronika

veronika
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 2:53 pm 
Yes, they are pretty... but I'm not a flowery type girl. clown.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 08, 2010 3:09 pm 
I had a great time despite the lack o' views, that just gives me a reason to go back. Next time I want to go up later, camp at the meadows and summit the next morning,....hopefully with a view. smile.gif I am feeling pretty good today, just a little sore, and no blisters.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 am 
Great fun yes.

Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up

Dr. Greenthumb
blaze it up
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 am 
Thank you for the trail report. Is the trail easy to follow the entire way to the false summit?

Ive got the prescription to get you higher
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 8:46 am 
Dr. Greenthumb wrote:
Thank you for the trail report. Is the trail easy to follow the entire way to the false summit?
Yes, there is a fairly well worn path all the way to the summit, I was surprised at how well defined that it is, especially now since there was a group of 10 climbing Forgotten Saturday as part of a scrambling course.

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades

beaudaddy
Coast To Cascades
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 1:33 pm 
Congrats on getting the summit you two. I love that area.!!! up.gif up.gif Dr. Greenthumb- If you do this one, throw some loppers in your bag... After you drop over the ledge from the meadows, theres a short brushy section on that side traverse along the south/southeast slope... I think if someone were to just cut back some branches, it would make things alot easier there. It seemed like last year we got hung up there for about 5 minutes trying to find the trail. Everything else is very straight forward. Hit- Here is what the view is between those sweet rocky spires on a nice day. smile.gif Looks like I was standing in the same spot as you.
Looking toward Three Fingers and Whitehorse.  July 2009
Looking toward Three Fingers and Whitehorse. July 2009

veronika

veronika
PostMon Aug 09, 2010 1:38 pm 
Thanks beaudaddy! It's amazing how much I forget how high up I am when it is foggy. biggrin.gif The part that you mention is pretty much the same spot we got a little off trail. I agree that a little trimming of the bushes will clear this obstacle up. I must admit that I sure like both your picture and day much better!!!! up.gif up.gif up.gif