Forum Index > Trip Reports > Salmo River, Salmo Mtn LO - Salmo Priest Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 11:04 pm 
OK, I’ll start out by sayin’ sumpin’ weird, but the rest of the report’ll be serious and chock full of good information. They’s sumpin’ about this place what makes me go out of my head in the grub department. I don’t usually have any wierdo food ideers when I’m out, but in Metaline Falls, for some reason, I mix stuff together. Last time I was in the Metaline Falls area, I was pretty darn broke and low-down, so my groceries consisted of 2 giant cans of chocolate pudding and a box of instant rice (Bartell’s was having a sale). I decided it would be a good idea to pop open a can o’ puddin’ & blop it right into the rice. I can’t recommend this for nobody what’s got any sense, but it warn’t all that bad to me. So back to this past weekend: For no apparent reason, it was beyond my control to avoid dumping a can of fruit cocktail and its juice to my oatmeal on Monday morning. I didn't even think about it - I just did it - like it was a force of some kind. So I think it best to just have stuff on hand that always goes well when mooshed together like PBJ, or spuds & tortillas with butter & onions. I don’t do this kind of thing anywhere else, only Metaline Falls. I wonder what awaits next time…? ========================================= Someone close to me asked me a pretty danged important question last week. I knew it was comin’, but the enormity of it all taxed me to near weakness, and I had to get away for a few days after I gave my answer. up.gif It also just happened that WTA needed someone to deliver equipment to the Salmo-Priest Loop trailhead for a week-long trail maintenance work party. Combine the 2 issues, and I found myself driving to Metaline Falls, and the Gypsy Meadows horsecamp on Friday. I don’t recommend going through Spokane. I was in a hurry to get to the trailhead, and thought I-90 would be a time-saver. I didn’t realize there are no overpasses in Spokane, and it took an hour and a half to get through with all the stop lights (everyone I talked to in that area had the same response to this comment, "well, they've been workin' on one for 'about 10 years"). I enjoyed the remaining portion of the drive very much. Stopped at the soda fountain in Newport – where I had a really good sandwich, and great hand-dipped malt; but the place is a bit dirty. Fun employees, though. I got to Gypsy Meadows around 7 PM. It was great hanging out and camping with the Backcountry Horsemen, who volunteered to pack in the gear for WTA and the Forest Service. What great guys and gals! Saturday, I hiked with the trail crew as far as the Salmo River. Wow! I had no idea the forest here was so lush! Huge Engelmann spruce, Western Hemlock and Western Red cedar! And the yews! I’ve never seen so many yews. One slope was covered in yews. Such a lovely forest.
Wilderness sign
Wilderness sign
A quick check of the clock early this morning said O Canada ain't open yet
A quick check of the clock early this morning said O Canada ain't open yet
Salmo River trail cedars2
Salmo River trail cedars2
Salmo River trail cedars1
Salmo River trail cedars1
The trail is steep, but a steady grade makes it not too bad. I’m a lame-o and didn’t have any trouble. Of course, I did a lot of stopping and gawking at the huge trees there. Earlier, I had eyeballed the Salmo Mtn Lookout tower from the trailhead. I took the first right turn out of the trailhead, and drove the narrow, twisty Forest Service Road to the lookout. After huddling in a group of trees while a lightning storm passed, by, I roamed to the end of the ridge ‘til dusk. Sun rays popped out from dark clouds, and it was beautiful. Camped one more night with the cowboys, then headed out Sunday to Crowell Ridge, which was recommended by them. Separate re09rt to follow.
Salmo Lookout - Snags, ridges at dusk
Salmo Lookout - Snags, ridges at dusk
Salmo Lookout - fog developing above the Salmo River
Salmo Lookout - fog developing above the Salmo River
Salmo Lookout - not the best photo, but I liked the light hitting the opposite slope
Salmo Lookout - not the best photo, but I liked the light hitting the opposite slope
Salmo Lookout area - top of hill, view
Salmo Lookout area - top of hill, view
Salmo Lookout view, rain and fog and ridges upon ridges upon ridges
Salmo Lookout view, rain and fog and ridges upon ridges upon ridges
Salmo Lookout - I liked how the sun lit up the trees & moss and cast a shadow of Salmo Mtn on the opposite slope
Salmo Lookout - I liked how the sun lit up the trees & moss and cast a shadow of Salmo Mtn on the opposite slope
Salmo Lookout - my rig and lookout building
Salmo Lookout - my rig and lookout building

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Aug 10, 2010 11:51 pm 
very nice pics! up.gif and chocolate rice pudding or fruity oatmeal sounds just great to me. wink.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
carlb328

carlb328
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 7:10 am 
Beautiful.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 8:07 am 
Nice! I felt dumb by neglecting this area until this past weekend. It is actually quite scenic, and I look forward to further exploring there in the future. Nice trip report and photos.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 8:51 am 
redwic, I was surprised about the fog, the afternoon t-storms, the lush vegetation, the craggy cliffs. The windy road that leads down to the town from Lk Sullivan area reminded me a lot of entering the small towns in Colorado - cliffs all around, the town nestled right in there.... Hanging out with the Backcountry Horsemen is as valuable as gold (is gold still valuable?). Those guys know their stuff - they regaled me with stories on critter sightings, abandoned trails, other secret little niceties, etc. Next time - and there will be one - I want to spend more time there, and take an extra day on the route back to Seattle. There's so much to explore.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 9:11 am 
How was the road to the Salmo LO, ie passable to a 2WD vehicle?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 am 
Eric - I can see a 2WD on that road, if driven by a seasoned Forest road driver such as you. I have a 4WD and never even felt like I should have kicked it in, though I admit I was glad to not have to worry about clearance. There are a few places where a low clearance car would be down to a crawl, but not for long. The road is in great condition for the most part, fair condition here and there. Seems even a long wheel base would be fine. As you know, note the location of the last wide spot - there are a few places where if you an meet oncoming vehicle, someone is going to have to back up. My clutch and gas legs were doing the uppy-downy sewing-machine nervous twitching when I came across an on-coming truck on a mildly narrow stretch, and tried to negotiate passing. I did what I thought I could do without becoming one with the mountain, then the guy leans out & shouts all positive-like & happy, "You got about this > < much room! Keep moving over!" Jeezus. stun.gif Nothing doing - I played the girl-card on that one, and said I wasn't used to such things, so we both slapped our side-mirrors flat, and he happily maneuvered upslope and around me. Near the top is an even narrower stretch, but you can see way ahead, and just stay put if someone's coming down.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 9:53 am 
great report, Gypsy meadows is a favorite place for us to horse camp. a lot of wild life pass through camp. Thunder mtn loop is a nice 10 mile day hike. if you hike I recommend going counter clockwise & if you ride go clockwise.

hikes and climbs with malamute
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 12:25 pm 
Would that have been THE question you were popped? Even after he knew about your truck food storage problem?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 pm 
Hey, I ain't the one with the food storage problem. huh.gif Dude's the one what gets all wigged out about it. Them pork chops're cooked afore I stash 'em in my pocket. up.gif I foraged around in the rig this afternoon, hoping to find some candy left over from the weekend. Scored some chocolate. It was all melted inside the wrapper, so it was like picking up an elongated water balloon. Tossed it in the 'fridge, and voila! within mere moments - a chocolate bar! But I ain't tellin' him about that, so don't you say nuthin' neither; leastaways not til I find out to what degree a chocolate bar settin' in the hot truck for 2 days is objectionable. See, I jest tell 'im it's one o' them what-you-call-it - a hyperthermal question. That way, he don't suspect it's me. wink.gif Damn public health education, anyway. Ain't no public gonna be harmed by me gnawin' on a old pork chop. But yeah, I'm a-workin' on not foraging. But anyone can understand the siren that is chocolate; he won't fault me for that. But I promised: no more chompin' on old pork chops.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Aug 12, 2010 7:37 am 
Nice trip! So many places to see in the world ...

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 1:47 pm 
From the It's a Small World Department: I just found out that one of the gentlemen in the pickup truck I met on the road to the Lookout is a neighbor of a friend of mine in Texas, visiting the Metaline Falls area. They were also on the Crowell Ridge trail the morning I was on it (my other trip report).

Lonny_Eachus
Lonny

Lonny_Eachus
Lonny
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 8:15 pm 
That does not look at all like the old lookout, which was pretty decrepit last time I was there. Further, there was no way to drive to the old lookout. Where is that one located?