Forum Index > Partners > Indian Head Peak Sunday Aug 15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lakes&Summits

Lakes&Summits
PostThu Aug 12, 2010 10:18 pm 
Anyone interested in meeting up to ascend Indian Head Peak this Sunday? I plan to be coming from around Blue Lake so not super early but basically any time... Or if you've been there recently and have some tips let me know. I read daffish's TR. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 7:12 pm 
Not really related to your trip but I was just up at Blue Lake and Dishpan Gap. There are two shiny MSR Groundhog stakes stuck into the dirt in a campsite on a small rise just west of upper Blue Lake, right where I left them. doh.gif Indian Head was snow free in the distance and it's a great summit.

Lakes&Summits

Lakes&Summits
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 9:30 pm 
Okay. Want me to snag them? I'm hoping to find water on the ridge above the lake, but will probably go down there.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 9:38 am 
If you spot them that would be great, but no big deal, I have more. There are snow-melt water sources you can filter from not far below June Mountain and again above Blue Lake on the high route. But from the ridge over to Dishpan Gap I didn't see anything. Several years ago we camped on the ridge near Kodak Peak and there was a good stream a few tenths of a mile down trail towards Indian Pass, on the way to Indian Head peak.

Lakes&Summits

Lakes&Summits
PostMon Aug 16, 2010 6:07 pm 
Well I had a good look around and even asked some campers, but nothing. My forays around the lake served as the inspiration to climb Johnson Mountain though. What views from there! As for the peak up there above Blue Lake... what is probably a tarn in normal years is still a solid snow patch. No way to camp there. I camped on a shelf about half way down to the lake. Then summitted Indian Head on Sunday. Hot day for that climb, but it was worth it.