Forum Index > Trip Reports > I Love the Canadian Rockies – That’s What She Said
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 3:57 pm 
After backpacking with Ingunn in California for a week and then a day hike up to Blanca Lake together with friends I honestly thought she would have been sick of hearing “Eh” after every sentence.
Rafting Blanca Lake
Rafting Blanca Lake
Apparently this was not the case as she coerced (more like bullied) me into heading to the Canadian Rockies for a week of listening to funny Canadian accents. This was Ingunn’s first trip to the Canadian Rockies so I really wanted to impress her. So I planned at least two stunning hikes she wouldn’t soon forget.
My all time favourite day hike
My all time favourite day hike
Caldron Lake
Caldron Lake
Our first stop was Lake of the Hanging Glacier near Radium BC, a hike where after a little exertion you are rewarded with a place of unmatched beauty. After the hot ascent with full packs we reached the lake and I quickly had my Curtis raft inflated.
Ingunn wrote:
Gaah! That was hard work!
Ingunn expressed her non-interest in rafting the frigid waters after dipping her toes in to hand me my paddles and camera.
After floating in heaven for 30 minutes I looked up and realized the sun would be going down in an hour or two and we needed to get up higher soon to capture the best lighting. We packed up and Croc’d our way across the freezing cold outlet of the lake (at the top of Hell Roaring Creek Falls) and started bushwacking our way up through the krumholtz.
Lake outlet
Lake outlet
Visiting an old friend
Visiting an old friend
We made pretty good time but the full packs were taking their toll so we dropped them at one of the few flat spots we found and the shutter clicking commenced.
Best campsire EVER
Best campsire EVER
Instantly Ingunn was engulfed in an orgy of bloodsucking monsters and retreated into her tent until suppertime and sunset.
Happy Photographer
Happy Photographer
Pink Mountain Heather
Pink Mountain Heather
Sunset
Sunset
The next day we hiked out and relocated to Banff.
Ruffed Grouse
Ruffed Grouse
Along the way we stopped to check out the roadside wildlife and took a soak in Radium Hot Springs
Ingunn wrote:
Huzzah!
The next we did two short hikes; the first was to Parker Ridge.
Hikers in the Rockies
Hikers in the Rockies
Ingunn's interpretation of Canadian Signs
Ingunn's interpretation of Canadian Signs
We strolled along the ridge going a little farther in hopes of avoiding all the tourists. As we sat and took photos a couple of women approached and glared at us. In broken English they demanded to know if we were leaving. They immediately took over our spot and started to take photos of each other doing yoga poses. You have to remember this is a really long ridge, there are hundreds of places to take photos and we did not understand why they needed to be in our exact spot.
Yoga Pose
Yoga Pose
We stopped for lunch at the Icefields Parkway visitor centre where Ingunn had a veggie burger.
Ingunn wrote:
Nom Nom. Wait…I regret swallowing that.
Roadside Views
Roadside Views
Next up was a visit to Mt Edith Cavell in Jasper National Park. We had a great time rafting the little glacial lake.
Rafting Through The Icebergs
Rafting Through The Icebergs
Ingunn's Happy Place
Ingunn's Happy Place
Ingunn wrote:
Thumbs up!
Glacier Reflection
Glacier Reflection
Tarn
Tarn
Edith Cavell
Edith Cavell
The next day the wrath of the veggie burger kept Ingunn resting in her tent while I banged off the Plain of Six Glaciers trail. I felt bad about leaving Ingunn behind so I brought her back a special souvenir. Perhaps someday she’ll share that story with you. hockeygrin.gif This is the most popular trail in the park although most only go to see the teahouse.
Trail
Trail
Trail heading to teahouse - Mt Leffroy on left, Victoria on right
Trail heading to teahouse - Mt Leffroy on left, Victoria on right
Lake Louise (hikers on lower right)
Lake Louise (hikers on lower right)
I hiked a little farther for views of the notorious Death Trap and the legendary Abbott Pass Hut.
Mt Victoria adn Abbott Pass Hut
Mt Victoria adn Abbott Pass Hut
Abbott Pass Hut at the top of the Death Trap
Abbott Pass Hut at the top of the Death Trap
I wonder why they call it the death trap with this overhead
I wonder why they call it the death trap with this overhead
Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel
Columbia Ground Squirrel
Columbia Ground Squirrel
Later that evening we took a stroll up to Moraine Lake, home of the bold Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel. Three of them bounded up the rock and the two kids jumped on top of mom in a pile with the gorgeous teal coloured lake behind them. But naturally they bolted when I holstered my camera + telephoto.
Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel on My Shoe
Golden Mantled Ground Squirrel on My Shoe
Ingunn can move pretty quick too - yeah - that's why I missed the focus on this one. embarassedlaugh.gif
I warned her Canadian wildlife was frisky
I warned her Canadian wildlife was frisky
Fully rested and ready to go the next day we headed off to Caldron Lake. Ingunn was sufficiently blown away by the views … from just the trailhead!
Peyto Lake
Peyto Lake
Ingunn wrote:
wOOt!
The trail immediately drops down to the inlet of Peyto Lake, then once over the treed hill you can see the route along the river, up the moraine, steep ridge then over the exposed area above the waterfalls. Doesn’t that moraine look like fun?
The route, up the grey morraine, along the ridge, and traversing over top of waterfalls
The route, up the grey morraine, along the ridge, and traversing over top of waterfalls
Ingunn wrote:
This is going to hurt.
Ingunn was a good sport; she crossed a raging river running off the Peyto Glacier on a pair of logs
Ingunn crosses the river
Ingunn crosses the river
climbed a very steep and loose steep moraine
The Happy Hiker Ascends the Morraine
The Happy Hiker Ascends the Morraine
but faced with the exposure at the top of the double waterfall she called it a day. My knees were knocking the whole time but I persevered and made it to Caldron Lake.
Caldron Lake
Caldron Lake
Caldron Lake
Caldron Lake
Spruce Grouse
Spruce Grouse
However I had my sights set higher and started to scramble up towards Caldron Peak. The peak visible from the lake is a false summit; you need to traverse well beneath it before ascending up to the true summit.
View from the pass before heading up to true summit - route follow transition from dark to light rock
View from the pass before heading up to true summit - route follow transition from dark to light rock
I turned around (red X), maybe 30 minutes from the top. (Here come the excuses) I was feeling guilty about leaving Ingunn by herself 2 days in a row, I could hear thunder and it was hailing, I was worried the descent in crappy rock would be painfully slow (it wasn’t) and we had a hard hike out and my stomach was cramping up – damn Icefields Parkway Infocenter food! Don’t EVER eat there! I didn’t have any regrets and didn’t think twice about not summiting, until I got home and saw how close to the top I was. Apparently only 20 or so people have ever signed the register.
View from the pass before heading up to true summit
Caldron Lake from the flanks of Caldron Peak
Caldron Lake from the flanks of Caldron Peak
The hike out was a trudge, the dinner at Chili’s was yummy, but I just barely made it back to my tent where I collapsed in complete exhaustion.
Ingunn wrote:
I iz tired!
After a stop at the Banff Hotsprings we pointed the truck west and kept going. It helped that everything was intensely hazy and there were no mountain views to be had. Little known Canadian fact: Our animals are bilingual as well. I didn’t know that’s what they said.
That's What They Said
That's What They Said
Ingunn wrote:
That's what she said
Note: This is my first trip report with my new camera so please bear with me as I'm still figuring it out.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 pm 
Wow, that place looks amazing! slobber.gif Love the pic of the 3 squirrels! wub.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 5:29 pm 
Very cute TR! Had me captivated the whole time. up.gif Poor Ingunn with the mozzies. But that girl sure gets around. agree.gif

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 5:35 pm 
Oops, behind on photos yet again! Not that there's even any point to me posting anything after seeing Karen's shots. eek.gif Oh well, until I get my mediocre snapshots online, here's some documentation of two of the lowlights of the trip for me (sorry guys, no photos of the explosive wrath of the veggie burger giardia.gif):
Couldn't they at least have stayed away from my face??
Couldn't they at least have stayed away from my face??
Karen at the spot where I freaked out
Karen at the spot where I freaked out
Turns out my fear of exposure is alive and well; Karen did her best to try to coax me farther across the slope (there was a loooong drop from those cliffs and no real trail), but I just wouldn't budge. I felt like I was going to throw up...not from food poisoning this time. I felt bad about missing Caldron Lake (and possibly Caldron Peak), but the views on the rest of the trip more than made up for it. Regardless of what Karen might think, I had a great vacation - thanks to the amazing scenery and a most excellent travel companion! agree.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 pm 
Caldron is my favorite hike up there too...and I haven't even made there yet! embarassedlaugh.gif I absolutely love the Canadian Rockies too. This freaking website is going to make me quit my job one of these days... I want to go play... hockeygrin.gif Beautiful photos as usual! up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
kawisk

kawisk
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 6:38 pm 
uh, wow!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 7:31 pm 
stun.gif That looks like an amazing place. That's now on my places I need to see list

Eric Eames
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 pm 
At long last I got my photos up! suuure.gif This was my first trip to the Rockies, but I think I'll be coming back over and over and over again. Even the roadside views are absolutely amazing...but next time it's going to be a fall trip when the larches have turned and all the %&$@ing mozzies are DEAD. First hike, Lake of the Swarming Mosquitoes. Sorry, Lake of the Hanging Glacier. This must be one of the prettiest lakes in the universe, but OHMYGOD, the evil, bloodsucking little bastards just wouldn't leave me alone. Graahk!
Two words: chilled buns
Two words: chilled buns
Fake smile
Fake smile
I snuck out from my tent and braved the mozzies to watch the sunset.
I snuck out from my tent and braved the mozzies to watch the sunset.
Our little piece of heaven
Our little piece of heaven
Karen: "Have you ever hiked through krummholz before?" Ingunn: "I hate you."
Karen: "Have you ever hiked through krummholz before?" Ingunn: "I hate you."
Mukmuk sunbathing
Mukmuk sunbathing
The Beatles in concert
The Beatles in concert
Sweet revenge
Sweet revenge
We stayed there one night and then went back to civilization, also known as Radium Hot Springs. Mmmm. Karen thought they wouldn't let me in since the mosquito bites made me look like a leper, but they took pity on me and I was allowed to soak my bumpy body for an hour or so before we drove north. Next day: touron hikes! Huzzah! Parker Ridge was awesome:
Blurry but handsome moose
Blurry but handsome moose
Loo with a view
Loo with a view
Parker Ridge
Parker Ridge
The Map n' Point
The Map n' Point
Mukmuuuuuk!!!!
Mukmuuuuuk!!!!
...and the Edith Cavell trail was even better. It's a good thing I had a blissful time before the explosive nature of the following day.
In the pea soup
In the pea soup
Real smile!
Real smile!
Sun hiding
Sun hiding
Reflection
Reflection
We must be in Canada!
We must be in Canada!
I won't say much about the food poisoning, except to note that no one should ever consume foodstuffs from the Icefields Parkway visitor center, and that Banff NP has numerous excellent bathroom facilities. After a day of "rest", I was ready-ish to hike again, so we set out for Caldron Peak. The views on this hike are fantabulous right from the start, so I thoroughly enjoyed myself...until we got to the scree traverse and I freaked out. I sent Karen off to attempt the summit, and spent my free time exploring the nearby hut and glacier. Then the thunder came and I got off the ridge and waited for Karen in the little basin by the moraine. After a while I realized I was sitting right next to three steaming piles of bear poop, and was mildly disturbed when I discovered that I had left my bear spray in the car. paranoid.gif Luckily Karen wasn't hit by lightning and I wasn't mauled by a bear, so, reunited at last, all we had to do was hike the 1300 feet of counter-elevation to get back to the car. Hnngh.
Caldron Peak and Peyto Lake
Caldron Peak and Peyto Lake
Pretty good views, eh?
Pretty good views, eh?
Karen and Caldron Peak
Karen and Caldron Peak
I don't wanna!
I don't wanna!
Oh, Peyto!
Oh, Peyto!
Hut. Closed. Boo.
Hut. Closed. Boo.
II
II
Peyto Glacier
Peyto Glacier
Not as much hiking as we wanted due to the Wrath of the Veggie Burger and the turning weather, but still a mighty good vacation. Canada hereby gets the official Ingunn sign of approval. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 10:01 pm 
Hmm. I live in Warshington State which is like BC South. I dont remember getting an invite!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm 
Great stuff ladies. up.gif

kite

kite
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 10:24 pm 
Wow, looks like an amazing place to hike

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 10:26 pm 
Sounds like you had to pay for those amazing sights with blood, sweat and tears... literally. From those of us enjoying the visual results, we thank you!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 1:56 pm 
Beautiful trip, brings back very recent memories. My wife and I were just up there on our honeymoon two weeks ago, but stayed closer to Banff in the Egypt Lakes area. I'll post my pics as soon as I can. Thanks for the TR!

cartman

cartman
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 pm 
I. Wanna. Go. Fantastic pics y'all, thanks.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 10:14 pm 
Nice! Still have to get out there one of these days...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short