Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bear lakes to Paradise lakes and home.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 pm 
Jed Sires of the High-lakers and I met at the end of the North Fork of the Snoqualmie River road. We parked Jeds truck at the unofficial Paradise lakes parking lot and then drove my Jeep to the Bare Mtn trail. We left at 0730. We started walking the old road and then met up with the trail, the trail is over grown but regularly used as an access to Bare moutain. At the point the trail makes its first switch back left up to Bare mountain you keep hiking straight into even more over grown brush. The trail climbs and takes you into the woods and some old mining camps. Find the talus that's North East of the camps and climb up to the right most mine and tailings. To the right of the mine entrance is a climbing trail to Bear lake 1. We then hiked up to middle Bear and Upper Bear lakes. Both very small lakes. After that we hiked up the northern saddle above Bear lake and decended to the Middle Paradise lake. The route is steep and long. Once at the lake Jed fished and caught cut throat and Rainbow trout while I took pictures and eat lunch. We then rounded the lake counter clockwise and slowly climbed up to Upper Paradise (Bench) lake. Jed caught some cutthroat here as well. We decended to Lower Paradise. Jed did not fish this lake as we were intent on getting down off the mountain. Id been in here twice in the '90's and I remember a very good defined trail from the logging road to the lake. Not anymore! The trail is at least 50+% gone!!! It was very difficult following it down the mountain. Only because I remembered being here in the past was I able find our way down. Once in the valley there was some newer flagging that helped lead us to the newer clear cut area prior to the end of the road. This area is flagged until the middle of the clear cut when it simply stops. At that point follow a North Westerly route through the brush back to the road. Anyone interested in this area best get in there soon! This trail is going to be totally gone very soon and its a brush beast without a trail. Stats: 4000+ vertical feet and 8+ miles. Pics.
Bear lake looking South
Bear lake looking South
Lower Bear facing North
Lower Bear facing North
Bear lake looking north
Bear lake looking north
Middle Bear lake
Middle Bear lake
Upper bear lake
Upper bear lake
Paradise from saddle above Bear
Paradise from saddle above Bear
Lower Paradise
Lower Paradise
Upper Paradise from oulet
Upper Paradise from oulet
Bench lake
Bench lake
Garbage on the trail to paradise
Garbage on the trail to paradise

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Type E

Type E
PostFri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 pm 
How was the intial brush after leaving the Bare Mt. Trail? That was my intended destination last week until the rains hit. Last time through there the route was still fairly easy to follow. Was the garden hose still on the fisherman's trail to Paradise Lakes?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 12:15 am 
Type E wrote:
How was the intial brush after leaving the Bare Mt. Trail? That was my intended destination last week until the rains hit. Last time through there the route was still fairly easy to follow. Was the garden hose still on the fisherman's trail to Paradise Lakes?
That's great E! NO! The garden hose was gone big time! The trail is dead! Some people have tried to clear the early stages but not well. When you consider that the waggners bridge closed the road for two years and then the Sunday creek bridge closed the road for two seasons, its no wonder the trail is gone!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Zukismom

Zukismom
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 7:09 am 
Other than the "garbage" photo...your pictures are just beautiful of the lakes. Why on earth would anyone dump that much garbage way up there? uhh.gif

R11

R11
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 8:51 am 
Good photos of what looks like a nice spot BPJ. But is it just me, or am I seeing a lot of pics lately that seem very unnaturally color saturated? confused.gif ron

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 9:47 am 
Zukismom wrote:
Other than the "garbage" photo...your pictures are just beautiful of the lakes. Why on earth would anyone dump that much garbage way up there? uhh.gif
That garbage came from a group of native Americans in the 70's illegally helicopter mining in that area. My cousin and I collected it and piled it up in 1989 but it seems to have been spread around again.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 9:47 am 
R11 wrote:
Good photos of what looks like a nice spot BPJ. But is it just me, or am I seeing a lot of pics lately that seem very unnaturally color saturated? confused.gif ron
All I do with my pics is adjust the lighting. Try to darken the mid day lighting.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 10:15 am 
Nice report and photos BPJ! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 11:32 am 
pretty lakes up.gif - shame about all that trash down.gif

Zukismom

Zukismom
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 12:06 pm 
Yes it is a shame...and either the Tribal leaders or the Forest Service should get that stuff hauled out of there. I mean..come on...40 + years?? Shoot...fly in another chopper and haul the stuff out of there. Do they think the Chippymonkey's are going to eat it up? shakehead.gif I simply do not understand littering at all----period. However, THIS...is just unconscionable. banghead.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 12:13 pm 
Zukis, supposedly this was an illegal mining operation sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. Nobody is going to go up there and remove that stuff! It is my opinion that with the level of use that trail gets it will be gone all together in a year or three......

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 12:37 pm 
I'll bet it was an expensive camera that took those pictures. And a skilled operator of such. up.gif up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 12:44 pm 
Well yes on the expensive camera part Sluggo. thanks. hockeygrin.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 12:46 pm 
You can see every dollar you spent in those photos. agree.gif And stop being so modest! tongue.gif

VirgoHiker

VirgoHiker
PostSat Aug 14, 2010 1:27 pm 
Very nice photos, as usual! wink.gif