Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Energy Sources/Improvements on the Horizon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 11, 2011 11:16 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jul 11, 2011 11:25 am 
touron wrote:
Quote:
Ford is developing its smallest engine ever, a wee little three-cylinder mill with the displacement of a soda bottle. The tiny engine is part of the automaker’s push to increase the fuel efficiency of its lineup by building smaller, but more powerful, engines. Despite its itty-bitty size, Ford says the turbocharged 1.0-liter Ecoboost engine will provide the torque and power of a 1.8 1.6-liter four-cylinder.
That's pretty cool. The only problem being this means they'll still put it inside a deadly smaller car. Hopefully they can apply the same tech to a 2L motor, put it in a decent sized rig, and get mileage and safety.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
touron

touron
PostWed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 pm 
An interesting article on LED lightbulbs
Quote:
These bulbs clearly are not yet positioned as commodity items; they are expensive and are expected to last. But the price of electronic gadgets has dropped so much of late that longevity is no longer the main concern. So why is a common light bulb more expensive to buy than a cheap digital camera? ... All of the bulbs have a small printed-circuit board contained within the neck, relying heavily on large electrolytic capacitors and transformers. The reliability factor of LEDs has increased tremendously. But how long will electrolytic capacitors perform under such hot operating conditions?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 am 
ykm.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 am 
touron wrote:
OTOH, cheap LED's make off-grid solar+battery or wind+battery much more practical.

straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostThu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm 
touron wrote:
I recently converted my truck camper to all LED lamps on the interior and exterior. The power savings was incredible and the light is the same color as the incandescents were. I'm not ready to do it in my home yet, but as soon as the prices come down and the choices are better, I'll convert from CFLs.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jul 29, 2011 9:36 pm 
OH! OH! OH !!I hear they have this CAR THAT RUNS ON WATER!!! (THAT 70'S SHOW) ERRR was that air?

Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostSun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 am 
forest gnome wrote:
OH! OH! OH !!I hear they have this CAR THAT RUNS ON WATER!!!
Car that runs on water There are lots of videos on youtube on how to convert your vehicle to a water-based system. My best friend's dad was going to do this a few years ago. We have yet to see it happen.

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
Mongo

Mongo
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 am 
Limits to energy and economic growth? A physicist does some math: http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/07/can-economic-growth-last/

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 3:42 pm 
Ah, now the 'physics' of why the little people should accept control and shut up. First it was the guy with the biggest rock. Then it was the most guys with the biggest rock, or the guy with the biggest rock directed by the guy with the hotline to the God of The Hunt or whoever. Then it was the king, ordained by God. Then it became 'society' or the 'social contract'. Now, some numerology and it's just because Malthus in new form, has been 'proven' to be right. The one constant of human history is someone always searching for the justifications for someone else to accept their domination. On a different note, i saw an article on that cold fusion guy's iron and nickel to copper or whatever process that said some company was going to build a 1MW pilot plant using the process. I don't know if it had shown up here in the discussion, but it was interesting. The Energy Catalyzer is an apparatus built by inventor[1] Andrea Rossi... seems too good to be true but if it's a scam it's a good one.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 5:07 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
First it was the guy with the biggest rock. Then it was the most guys with the biggest rock, or the guy with the biggest rock directed by the guy with the hotline to the God of The Hunt or whoever. Then it was the king, ordained by God. Then it became 'society' or the 'social contract'. Now, some numerology and it's just because Malthus in new form, has been 'proven' to be right. The one constant of human history is someone always searching for the justifications for someone else to accept their domination.
On your side note, it is interesting to see that archaeologists are finding evidence from various parts of the globe that cooperative society (which eventually got philosphized with notions such as "social contract" once people had enough extra energy and time to philosphize, in part thanks to said cooperation which, for instance, allowed for the sort of irrigation that reduced pestulence in southern china to an extent that made the region worth taxing since before then no one could produce enough surplus to tax... dizzy.gif ) suggests that warfare and trade were the key twin factors that led to this sort of cooperative behavior. This would suggest that those who like the notion of trade (e.g. "free markets") may want to thank our ancestors for the development of institutionalized cooperation, since it seems to have been a necessary complement to development of trade. I'll believe that energy catalyzer when we see it working!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm 
Keeping in nature with my prickly pickyness, I'll point out that 'cooperative' means at lot of things to a lot of people, and they use the word for the nice feeling it conveys while rarely admitting the 'cooperation' they mean is the kind associated with 'or else'. We all know actual cooperation is great, I think. This is why the word is pilfered for use as in my example. It hides what is actually aggression behind a more palatable phrase. When 'cooperation' involves 'or else we'll hurt you', it's not. It's the supposed 'cooperation' seeker salving their feelings or self image about what they are doing or backing.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 5:25 pm 
Well, do read the article, as it gives some explanation, including:
Quote:
within each chiefdom people subordinate their individual self-interest to that of the group
and
Quote:
“Both war and trade are sources of outside wealth,” Dr. Stanish said in an interview. The leaders of early states had to keep people working. They relied on religious rituals to organize the labor force and material inducements from war and trade to satisfy the elite.
This is not some rose-colored "peace love and understanding" view of "cooperation." I think people can easily gloss over the realities involved in being in "organized society," just as they can gloss over the challenges one would face in a world where there was no form of altruism or societal organization (note the comments on possible evolutionary explanations for altruism in the article as well).

straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 5:26 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
On a different note, i saw an article on that cold fusion guy's iron and nickel to copper or whatever process that said some company was going to build a 1MW pilot plant using the process. I don't know if it had shown up here in the discussion, but it was interesting.
Seems to be a bit of a stretch... lot's of secrecy around it, he won't let anyone see inside of it, and the company that he's licensing says that they'll sell it globally except to the US and military. I'm seeing flashbacks of cold fusion.

Mongo

Mongo
PostTue Aug 09, 2011 2:33 pm 
As pointed out in the article, the past is no predictor of future success. I mean really, how stupid is it not to try and predict the future impacts of growth? Lets see, what would the incentives be in a libertarian economy to deal with global warming, international level pollution, long term energy sources, ocean acidification, fish stock depletion, etc?