Forum Index > Trip Reports > 8-22-10 Northwest Trek, Paradise
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
stevefromdodge

stevefromdodge
PostMon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 am 
Micah and I made a trip north on Sunday. With the weather iffy, we weren't sure if we were hiking or not. Our first stop was Northwest Trek, a wildlife park near Eatonville. If you've never been here, it's certainly worth a stop. My planned 2 hours rapidly expanded to 4. They have several raptors, all injured birds that were rescued. Snowy Owl
Bald Eagles
There were also Golden Eagles, Barn Owls and Great Horned Owls There's a section devoted to smaller mammals. River otters
Beavers
Skunks
Raccoons
There wear also Badgers, Fishers and Wolverines. The larger herbivores roam a large free-range area, accessed by a tram. Caribou
Blacktail fawns
Sheep
Goats
Bison
Elk
Another fawn
The larger meat eaters have their own pens, often an acre or more. Brown Bear
Coyote
Bobcat
The Black Bears, Cougars, Lynx, Wolves and Red Foxes were in sleepy moods. After a forgettable lunch in Elbe. we headed into the park. The weather rapidly deteriorated to cold, intermittent light drizzle with a blustery wind. We didn't have a lot of views, just enough to taunt us.
We weren't really prepared for cold, so we made really short trips. First stop: Narada Falls
Then Paradise. As much as I avoid tourists, I just can't bring myself to dislike this place. We toured the new visitor's center, which didn't do much for me. I was surprised at how few displays there were. It's only 2 years old and a lot of the kids things are already broken. It was 42 degrees and a damp wind was blowing. Micah bowed out on a hike, but I set out on the short Nisqually Vista Trail hoping for at least a quick view of the mountain. The flowers are absolutely in full prime.
This buck was about a half mile from the trailhead.
After spending 15 minutes or so with him, I abandoned my glacier view plans and headed back.
I encountered this doe and twins not more than 1/4 mile from the parking lot.
After that, it was a well-earned burger in Morton. Four patties!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostMon Aug 23, 2010 2:24 pm 
yikes! i could go for four patties right about now. i'm sure he'll love that pic in 10 years at college graduation time...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message