Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Great Boulder Lake "Treasure" Hunt
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 21, 2010 10:19 pm 
Friday night i went to bed not feeling bad...but not quite right. Saturday morning i awoke, sore throat, sinus congestion, inflamed air ways....body aches. Sick down.gif down.gif My voice was so horse that i belted out a growl that the likes of James Earl Jones, Isaac Hayes would be envious of. Still i got out of bed and stumbled out the door. I had plans, and i was going to follow through anyway. I arrived at the Boulder Lake Trail head just before 10 am ish. Now i posted for a partner three weeks ago or so. It was not entirely clear that i would be solo for this one..so i waited till after 10. I did not sit still. I searched the area found a few items.
Trail Head Trash
Trail Head Trash
Trail Head Sign
Trail Head Sign
Self explanatory
Self explanatory
Had some good Karma....found a quarter.
Quarter.
Quarter.
Puerto Rico State? Qurarter.
Puerto Rico State? Qurarter.
huh.gif A Puerto Rico "state" quarter? confused.gif Since when did Puerto Rico become the 51st state? Oh well it spends just the same. hockeygrin.gif Anyway i headed up the trail just after 10....solo. Unfortunately as my respiration rate increased it irritated already sore my throat, that i would go into coughing spasms....which if bad enough would trigger my gag reflex. Did i mention my airways were inflamed. Yea....i headed up the trail wheezing, hacking and ganging. Yea for me. down.gif down.gif Good thing i was solo...cause i don't think any one would care to listen to that. Now per Slugmans previous report he found the trail trash free. I knew that was not entirely true...but to his credit, non of it was sitting out in the open obvious.
Hidden Trash
Hidden Trash
Hidden Trash
Hidden Trash
Hanging Trash
Hanging Trash
Trash
Trash
What was left was stuffed into forest nooks and cranny's. In some places covered by a rock, in an unnatural spot in an attempt to make it more difficult to spot. In some cases it's hiding rock, was used to bash the stuff until it was jammed in place. It took considerable work to remove it. I found two dozen beer cans looking through various animal holes, tree holes and under rocks. Who ever did this...put effort into hiding the trash....it is not funny, not creative, not unique. down.gif down.gif Some one is just an asshat. mad.gif On top of the hidden trash, some gum chewer recently traveled up the trail...spitting out there gum ON the trail about every tenth....discarding there Nicorette wrapper in the process. Apparently The Angry Hikers arch nemesis Cleatus Bodine paid a visit here. In stead of chopping one of the many, many blow downs past the wilderness boundary. He decided to chop at a standing tree. Took a couple of swings at the base, got lazy and finished felling the tree 4 feet up. Dropping the tree ON the trail....then leaving it there. shakehead.gif
Felled tree
Felled tree
At least no hiker is going to trip over this stob. rolleyes.gif Still despite the time i took investigating every dark animal hole, and the wheezing, and the gagging i made it to the beginning of the meadow in under two hours.
Beginning of Meadow
Beginning of Meadow
Fire Weed
Fire Weed
Bee2
Bee2
Bee
Bee
Then there was the Talus below the outlet falls of Boulder lake.
Water Bottle
Water Bottle
White Flagged Land mine
White Flagged Land mine
There was lots of hidden treasure there. rant.gif Some of it so far out of reach i was unable to retrieve it. At last i reached the lake.
Boulder Lake pano
Boulder Lake pano
Yet this was not any surprise.
Smokes
Smokes
Several fire rings had empty cigarette packs sitting in them. Unburned....no attempt to burn. Still i sifted through the fire rings at each fire pit searching for the nonburnable. And there was plenty...my pack was starting to fill up. There was, something i had to draw a line and leave because it was just to nasty to haul out. There was the bottom of an apple juice container, filled with vomit...it already collected rodent feces, and was squirming with maggots...i'll spare you the photo. Then there was a trail of of vomit to the lake shore. I left this ghastly sight. And contoured around Boulder lake bound for Pear above.
Over looking Boulder Lake
Over looking Boulder Lake
Pear Lake outlet
Pear Lake outlet
Pear Lake
Pear Lake
Still i found more trash.
Plate in Pear Lake
Plate in Pear Lake
Melted Tent in a fire ring
Some one had abandoned there dishes IN Pear lake. Nearby, rather than packing out there tent...cloths, flash light, and miscellaneous items. They attempted to burn them. Well the must have been unaware that mainstream consumer tents are fire retardant. It just melted into the rocks surrounding the fire ring. vent.gif I did my best to clean it up...but scraping it off the rocks seemed impossible. I now had my 40 liter pack full of trash. My "treasure" hunt was now over. I got 99% of it. Perhaps some one else will finish the job...maybe not. Rant off

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 21, 2010 10:26 pm 
Nice work again Hulkster.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Aug 21, 2010 10:34 pm 
I must not have been paying attention because I saw very little and what I found I took with me. Trying to burn a tent is the very definition of Asshat. shakehead.gif We can only hope they don't reproduce. Thanks for kicking ass, even when you body was trying to hurt you.

mgd

mgd
PostSat Aug 21, 2010 10:36 pm 
Great pictures and nice pano shot! up.gif up.gif up.gif I'm sure if I'd taken that picture, the lake would be tilted at a 10 degree angle.

iron

iron
PostSun Aug 22, 2010 7:50 pm 
so sad hulksmash. man, seeing all those pics and hearing your description makes me dislike the general american population even more. thanks, as always for the good work. in the future, i will pay more attention to finding trash. i normally pack out 2-3 things with each trip, but never the 'treasure' that you find.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 22, 2010 8:35 pm 
For whatever reason that area, mostly Boulder lake just gets hammered by scummy people who are apathetic about an area they just worked hard to get to! You guys figure it out.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Aug 22, 2010 8:45 pm 
iron wrote:
so sad hulksmash. man, seeing all those pics and hearing your description makes me dislike the general american population even more. thanks, as always for the good work. in the future, i will pay more attention to finding trash. i normally pack out 2-3 things with each trip, but never the 'treasure' that you find.
Ya know...i hate to blame it on the general population. I still think it just a few bad apples. However....i do believe the "it's not my resposibility" crowd far out number the i "i normally pack out 2-3 things" crowd. That's what bugs me most. It is every ones responsibility to pick up once a few bad apples visit, because it is our land. The problem of changing the attitude of those who do not think it is there responsibility is one i do not know how to solve. Maybe I'm on the right track by being so vocal. I should point out...if everyone who has hiked in there picked up 2 or 3 things on there way out the place would have been spotless in short order.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Aug 22, 2010 8:52 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
For whatever reason that area, mostly Boulder lake just gets hammered by scummy people who are apathetic about an area they just worked hard to get to! You guys figure it out.
Sorry man...the majority of the stuff i picked up was at Pear lake. There was no effort to hide it at this location. The stuff at Boulder lake some ass hat made an effort to hid the trash. Covering the crap up with rocks suggests some sort of defective synapse in some dimwit brain might have been used. down.gif down.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 22, 2010 8:55 pm 
Well Boulder and Pear as so close together is isnt surprising. An over population at Boulder would drive people to Pear.

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Aug 22, 2010 8:55 pm 
Thanks for cleaning up after the asshats, Hulk. up.gif I cannot believe people...the bit about the vomit bit nearly had me puking up the cocoa I just drank. Bleh. That's one area I'd like to visit and why people leave crap like a melted tent (and burn it in the first place) (WTF!?) in such a spectacular place is beyond me...

Opinions expressed here are my own.