Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sunset Lake Hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 7:32 pm 
It looks as though our OP, whose hiking experience has been confined to the Rockies and east of the Cascade Crest, has a truly new experience waiting for him: devil's club and slide alder! My first backpack in the NW (my first since growing up in the Rockies) involved maybe 200 yards of this stuff--it was quite a shock! I never knew that such vegetation--so unfriendly and so much of it--existed outside of the Amazon jungle!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 7:44 pm 
Its a war. You simply have to show them who's boss! Ya, sure buddy! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 8:43 pm 
At first I thought I would do the OP an enormous favor by not posting this info. Certainly I have no wish to foster irrational enthusiasm in the mind of any intrepid explorer. But upon further reflection I decided that just maybe there might possibly be ever-so-faint-and-infrequent tiny traces of some seldom-traveled and long-forgotten trail from Barclay Lake to Jacks Pass if one had an idea of where to look. It even had a number: 1055.2
Long lost trail
Long lost trail
The pic shows part of the 1982 "Transportation Plan Map 'B', Skykomish Ranger District". Here's a broader view:
Ancient trail (?) Barclay to Jacks Pass
Ancient trail (?) Barclay to Jacks Pass
About 5 years ago I went looking for the north end. I drove to Jacks Pass and cut back on road 6570 passing below San Juan Hill. Near the end of that road I scrambled up to the ridge top. At the most I went a mile SW'ly along the ridge and likely less. I carefully searched for saw cuts and blazes but found none. In a small meadow of knee-high brush there was a narrow dirt path game trail. It disappeared when I reached a talus area. I could have either dropped a bit and passed below or picked my way across to where the forest resumed. But instead of doing either, this was my turn-around. I conclude that trail 1055.2 depicted on the map might have been a 'proposed' trail or may even have been used as a route for a bit back in the day when forest rangers were a particularly hardy lot. However, I doubt there was ever a genuine forest service trail constructed from Barclay to Jacks Pass. On the other hand, if the OP gets deep into Wild Sky along this ridge and stumbles over an old white and green enamel USFS sign announcing this trail, I sure hope that pic shows up in the TR.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 11:55 pm 
Joey....you just gave me yet another reason to just wander around back there with no particular destination in mind. Ya just never know what might be back there. up.gif up.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:22 am 
Eagle Saddle
For those who have climbed to the top of the saddle from Eagle lake,...how long did it take? The arial photo seems to show a path on both sides. In this type of ground i would normally try to skirt the edges of the treelines to make better progress, but its hard to tell which route would be better. On the left there is a very distinguishable tree line bordered by brush, and the talus slope (Merchant Peak Side). It seems that it may be the better route as opposed to climbing the right side through the thicker tree stands. However, there is a narrower clear portion on the right, but the trees get thick about halfway up. Thoughts? I am determined to go in from Barclay and over the ridge at Eagle to Simms.......it could certainly cost me my pride should i fail to get to get there in a day, but if I don't try, I won't know. The more I here folks saying how hard it will be, the more i want to try it..... I am not necessarily looking for the easiest way in. However, if the going is that rough, we may have to shoot for Simms on day 1, and then make Sunset the Saturday day hike from Simms? Probably easier to pack out Sunday if we camp at Simms anyway.

control your destiny, or someone else will!
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:48 am 
Is there a reason why you are determined to go to Simms and Sunset? There are better lakes to go to. You can expect a long day if you go from Barclay but like you said your mind is set. I wish you luck.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:29 am 
You are correct..it is easier to skirt Eagle lake on the Merchant Side. agree.gif Here's some more detailed photo's than the Sat images. Only the edge of the saddle is visible. This of course is Merchant.
This is looking back at Eagle from a vantage point on Merchant.
And this is peaking over that Saddle from Townsend.
Hope there helpful. I'm really rooting for you. But i'm afraid you not going to make it in a day. So be prepared to swallow your pride. clown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:41 am 
Sunset/simms
Yes, pics help. Not as steep on the left as i had envisioned which is good. Did you go to Eagle from Barclay? If so how long did it take you to get from the Barclay Trail Head to the Merchant/Townsend Ridge above Eagle? We dont plan on making our first stop until Stone Lake.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:48 am 
Devil's club is innocuous compared to salmonberry and blackberry, and your machete will just stir them around. Picture a thicket of brambles woven through a tangle of blowdown covering a pile of talus. Your maps and aerial photos just don't tell the story, MM. I think Grannyhiker had the right of it.
Quote:
It looks as though our OP, whose hiking experience has been confined to the Rockies and east of the Cascade Crest, has a truly new experience waiting for him:
Like the other posters, I've spent some hours in the brush in that area ....... but I wish you luck, anyway. Incidentally, MM, the route from Barclay to Eagle is entirely on a trail, so adding that to your trip doesn't prove anything.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 am 
Re: Sunset/simms
Mountain Mojo wrote:
Yes, pics help. Not as steep on the left as i had envisioned which is good. Did you go to Eagle from Barclay? If so how long did it take you to get from the Barclay Trail Head to the Merchant/Townsend Ridge above Eagle? We dont plan on making our first stop until Stone Lake.
I have never gone to Eagle from Barclay. I don't understand why any one would want too, Scramble something like 1000 feet in a half mile off trail, when you can simply take the maintained trail which one way equivalent of a round trip to Big 4 in terms of elevation gain and distance. lol.gif

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 9:00 am 
KEP779
I have been into Barcly a number of times in the past. Once in the winter (cold and snowy). Each time i wanted to continue, but it was always early winter/early spring so packing into Eagle was even a trek and Simms was not in the cards. In the summer I went as far as Stone lake, but it was a late start and a day hike, so i went back out. I have always wanted to see how far i could get going the Barclay route. I knew Simms and Sunset were there and that lots of folks go to Eagle (even little kids), so i just got focused on getting to Simms/Sunset. I have yet to here a story of a 6 year old at Simms or Sunset but plenty of those stories about Eagle. Getting to Eagle is an easy hike in my book if a 6 year old can do it! I figured the end of summer would be best as the snow would be essentially gone (except for maybe the highest points). And trekkers would have blazed slightly more noticeable trails through the spring and summer to make the Eagle trip a breeze. So when I get to Eagle, the lure of Simms will be to great for me not to try to get there. Doing it in a day is the "challenge" part. I have no doubt I could make Sunset in two days regardless of the "devils Club and Alder Slide" everyone talks about. I think any average hiker can do it in two days. So, the challenge i have set for myself is to get as far in as i can in about 8 or 9 hours (i want to set up camp in daylight). I appreciate the encouragement, and i will have all my new NWHiker buddy's on my mind as i am slowly hacking my way through some backside slope with Devils Club thorns in my forehead biggrin.gif

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 am 
BTW
BTW...as I said before I am a hunter, and I have lived in Washington almost my entire life. I have hunted in the Olympics in the past so I know how thick and nasty the undergrowth can get smile.gif Its also one of the reasons i rarely go hunting on the west side anymore shakehead.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 9:07 am 
I don't think the 6 year old got to Eagle via Barclay. lol.gif

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 9:49 am 
6 yo
I have read some posts where some youngsters have made the trek from Barclay, however, I am not concerned about the Eagle Lake part of the journey. My grandmother could get to Barclay. My 68 year old "smoke a pack-a-day" dad could make it to Eagle (we've hunted for miles in the Rockies at 10k). The trek from Barclay to Stone is easy (steep but short). Its less than a mile and only 1200 feet. Eagle is a 15 minute "walk" from Stone lake from all accounts i have read. So it really comes down to whether or not we can make it over the saddle/ridge to Simms on the same day. Sunset on day one would be a bonus it sounds like. I keep reading here that "there is an easier way" and "good luck - you'll need it" . If i wanted easy i would just meander down some pre-established manicured trail with my grandmother in tow and skip happily along singing kumbayah watching all the pretty birds and smelling the flowers. Easy is not me. As for the good luck part, a little luck is never a bad thing wink.gif We will shoot for Simms on day one, and then hike into Sunset on day two, then pack out on Sunday Morning. I hope its hard, sweaty, and a real pain in the a$$. I hope i have plenty of "war wounds" from the Devils Club to show off when i return. I hope we are physically tested on the accent over the ridge and down to Simms. If all that happens, Its gonna be a hoot !! biggrin.gif Thank you all for your support. The TR should be quite amusing winksmile.gif

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 10:03 am 
Well then why not make it interesting and go right up to the top of Townsend and down the other side to Simms. You might as well go to 4th of July lake while you are there you can even go down 4th of July creek which is choked with vine maple and slide alder. wink.gif Wait go up there in the rain this will make a real impression on you.