Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sunset Lake Hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 10:17 am 
You go, Mojo! I've done a couple of trips where friends said, "why not wait til they fix the road?" or, "just go in the other way," but those friends just didn't "get" it. I get it - go have fun. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 10:48 am 
"irrational enthusiasm" "intrepid explorers" Add to this: old maps and NFK Skykomish brush. Steep slopes and unfathomable geology. Great stuff! I am looking forward to the TR. I'll check some filed maps this evening to play along. (I remember a serious run-in with the Brush SW of Bear Mtn about 20 years ago. Not friendly.)

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm 
Enthusiasm
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. William Shakespeare I am enjoying the give and take here....its getting my blood pumping for the trip ...... and i hope it does rain, and when we make it to Simms, we will go down to 4th of July Lake, its not that far away..... biggrin.gif What character can success build if you never have to truly work for it? anonymous

control your destiny, or someone else will!
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm 
You do have a Spot device right?

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 1:59 pm 
SPOT
I have a magellan GPS that will be in my pack with me (don't plan on needing it). Of course, when i started packing like this some 25+ years ago all i needed was a compass, a map and my knowledge of the woods to get wherever i needed to go.....i think too many people have become reliant on technology to save their butt's instead of solid orienteering/survival skills and a little common sense. As far as having a "becon" with my location "aka spot device".... it's not a necessity. If it were, how in the world did we get along in the wilderness without them for soooooooo long? However, i do appreciate the concern. It's a nice thing to have, but not a necessity by any means. All the right people will know where we are, and when we will be there. If nothing else, I am vigilant with my planning, and the entire group is ex-military with plenty of survival know how.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 4:46 pm 
Like Kep7790 I have been to Simms and Sunset a number of times. Would not recommend the Trout Creek road, been that way twice and it is no picnic. The decommisioned road up Fourth of July was the easy route in but not anymore. Would recommend the route from Eagle lake. A number of years ago a friend took his 70 year plus old father in that way to Simms. Don't let the age fool you though. The man had hiked that area his entire life so was in good enough shape to go that route.

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:03 pm 
Eagle Route
AH !! Finally someone who says to take the Eagle route! Its been the plan all along...My old man hiked around the rockies at 8 to 10 k for decades......he's 68 and could keep up with me today (i'm 45) ... age is relative...it's the will that gets you where you want to be not your youth. I have no problem believing a 70 year old in good shape can hike anywhere i can smile.gif In our group we have guys that are anywhere from 28 on up to 46 .... we all have experience (only some of which is in the westside puckerbrush, but some is better than none). We are looking forward to a good time....did i mention we pack in with no tents, no propane or alcohol fuels, no canned foods, limited packs etc...... its meant to be a difficult 3 days, to test our character and resolve, and next year we will do another weekend trek that is just as difficult as this one. Any ideas for next year?

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:24 pm 
I am enjoying this thread! For next year, how about Azure lake via Stetattle Creek?

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 pm 
I want to see Luna Col via Baker River hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Boondog

Boondog
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:45 pm 
Great thread with lots of good info. Sunset is also on my list of things to conquer. Here a few more photos of the saddle on the north side of Merchant/Eagle. Good luck & have fun Mojo!
Eagle Lake 035
Eagle Lake 035
Eagle Lake 040
Eagle Lake 040

ka-kah ka-kah...raWR!!!
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 7:56 pm 
Re: Eagle Route
Mountain Mojo wrote:
next year we will do another weekend trek that is just as difficult as this one. Any ideas for next year??
Another entertaining trip report of the route up Burnt Boot creek to Avalanche and Iceberg lakes would be appreciated. HH

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm 
You guys are KARAZIE! Everybody knows that you're nobody unless you hike to Wild lake up Baker river!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 8:57 pm 
A couple pics to stoke your fire. Sorry about the quality, these are scans of crappy 4x6 film prints from 1994, and the lake Simms collage is a scan of a page out of an old photo album.
Fishing Lake Simms.
Fishing Lake Simms.
Sunset Lake from the outlet.
Sunset Lake from the outlet.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 9:29 pm 
Darnit, this makes me want to break out the slidescanner. Went in back in 2001 via the logging roads BPJ mentioned. On 2nd day, went over to Simms and saw the famous plaque. Great area. Looking forward to a TR on this one, success or otherwise. Wasn't there some talk of developing a trail on the route Mojo's mentioned?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 pm 
Good to hear from you JC. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln