Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sunset Lake Hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Aug 31, 2010 10:59 pm 
From the 1935 Snoqualmie Nat'l Forest Map -- F.A. Silcox Forester Sunset Lk was depicted as Howard Lake. (odd, since it doesn't drain into Howard Creek) A trail is shown to the lake via the Trout Creek drainage. Nothing is shown going over the hill from Eagle. Aldo Leopold quote: "Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?" Best of luck on your quest.
HowardLk
HowardLk

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 12:20 am 
A trail up Trout Creek to Sunset lake makes sense. Why wouldn't there be considering the lake was had a dam, and a wooden pen stock pipe was run all the way from Sunset Lake to the Sunset mine. Problem is all that remains is some random rusty iron spirals in the woods, and an occasional stone pile used to support the pipe. Of course not many traces of trail. Here's one. This is laying in the brush below Merchant peak near Trout Creek.
artifact
artifact
I found it cause i tripped on it. lol.gif There is no trace of any road, or trail any where near it. Almost as if it fell out of the sky. I know better. Had to have been hauled in by mule team.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 5:24 am 
Prepare for crummy weather if you are not going in until Sept 24th. That time of the year that backside of Townsend never dries out so an extra change of clothes is a good idea. 3/4 of Simms is surrounded by huckleberry brush so the best spot to hang out at is the outlet. this where you will find the plaque.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 5:49 am 
This thread is begging for a current topo map. To see the map full screen click Actions ==> Full screen To see the aerial with labels click MyTopo ==> Hybrid
View larger size in new window

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Sep 01, 2010 8:55 am 
doesnt show.

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostSat Sep 04, 2010 4:13 pm 
Map
Looks like the thread on this one is still going! Great! We need to get a good topo of the area (not from the internet) what is the map section? And, yes, we are expecting the very good possibility that we will have rain, We are prepared for that.

control your destiny, or someone else will!
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Sep 04, 2010 5:17 pm 
Re: Map
Mountain Mojo wrote:
Looks like the thread on this one is still going! Great! We need to get a good topo of the area (not from the internet) what is the map section?
confused.gif

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostSun Sep 05, 2010 1:05 pm 
??
What are the opinions concerning the best place to get a good topo map of this area? I dont have a physical paper map in my hands yet.... i will want one, of course, before we head up.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 05, 2010 1:16 pm 
Can't you see the topo map Joey posted? That is the 24K USGS quad which is pretty much the best thing out there for navigating off trail in the cascades. Just print it, or click on the mytopo.com link to order one printed.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 pm 
That or visit an REI and use their custom map machine. You can orient the map exactly how you want it and then print it there. 9.95 each. Issaquah REI doesnt have a map machine.... Dang it.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Anna Mae
or may not

Anna Mae
or may not
PostSun Sep 05, 2010 3:12 pm 
BPJ's got a point. If you go someplace like Metsker Maps in downtown Seattle, you'll need four USGS topo maps to plan your route and see what your options are. Anna Mae

Against stupidity ...... the gods themselves ...... contend in vain.
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Sep 05, 2010 5:05 pm 
Tom wrote:
Can't you see the topo map Joey posted? That is the 24K USGS quad which is pretty much the best thing out there for navigating off trail in the cascades. Just print it, or click on the mytopo.com link to order one printed.
I highly recommend ordering a waterproof MyTopo paper map with the UTM grid. I assume you have a ranger compass (or similar) with the 1:24,000 UTM grid printed on the baseplate. That, plus a mechanical altimeter will be a huge navigational aid when your GPS craps out or cannot get a decent signal since so much of the sky is blocked by the super-steep terrain. With a bit of work you could generate a GPS file with rough approximate waypoints for the non-existent trail on the Fireplan map snip I posted. You can have that data added to your MyTopo map when you order it.

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostMon Sep 06, 2010 11:09 am 
map
LOL ... i just breezed over the map post, didn't realize it was an interactive map from the forum .... i now have the topo maps i need....i just imported it all to a file and printed a couple different ones out on matt finish photo paper and laminated them.....

Mountain Mojo

Mountain Mojo
PostWed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 pm 
Just a quik update. We lost 3 party members (Work and injury) so we have posponed the Sunset Lake Hike till next year. However. The two of us that remained still wanted to hike so we went to Pete lake out near Roslyn. Pretty easy hike, but certainly gorgeous this time of year. only 3 hours to get to the lake from the trailhead and little elevation, so more of a beginner hike frown.gif . I'll post some pics later.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Sep 29, 2010 4:05 pm 
Yea a smart idea to wait until next summer!! That way you can plan a little better.