Forum Index > Support & Feedback > New +/- Post Feedback Feature
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 12:16 am 
I like the +/- feature that has been added. I can agree on something that I think it is funny or I agree with by giving it a "+". For Trip reports I wouldn't use it unless there is someone attacking someone else and not adding to the discussion. It is useful in Stewardship for example in the many "The Myth of the _____" where i don't even have to respond, I can just give it a negative or a positive if I agree with something or not. Just another way to say I agree or disagree without having to write something when I don't feel like it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 1:02 am 
Well i voted to keep it. For one if some one negs me...i don't really care if they gave me a negative vote. It won't hurt my feelings one bit. The only reason i objected to it in the first place is cause the vote's were anonymous. That would make it really easy for some lurker to mess with people. That has been taken care of by not making it anonymous.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 1:45 am 
Bummer that this conversation turned from the development & implementation of a new feature to people screaming and lighting their hair on fire about a change. It seems we could have kept an open mind until the feature could be tried and re-tooled to fit well into the fabric of this forum or (if a failure) to fade into obscurity but instead it became a fight to the finish. Seems like the middle ground sharing of ideas and possible tweaks was much more productive.

veronika

veronika
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 1:57 am 
EDIT: comment deleted due to unsubstantiated or unfair claims based on one's oppinion

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 2:06 am 
Does anyone know why 25% opposed is the 'nuke point'? Why not a majority of users who respond one way or the other determines the feature's fate? At this stage I'm just sorry to see something that was growing organically through forum input and discussion turn into a cage match. I'm not even certain what the real usefulness of the feedback system is (beside ease of use & perhaps reduction of noise) since we haven't yet seen it in action over any period of time, I just thought it was an interesting project.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 6:07 am 
I agree that 25% of anonymous users is too low of a bar to derail what I believe to be a great addition to this website. I have already handed out dozens of +'s to trip reports where I would otherwise not have made a comment. I think this will be a great ego boost to new posters since often they get ignored when they post reports. As to the claim that this will lead to a 'popularity contest' - I hate to tell you but that is already the reality - just like it is in any social situation. If anything this will level the playing field as less popular people will probably get more +'s - and the more popular people will get fewer responses because the +'s can do the same job. As to the dreaded -'s I agree that the use of them should be restrained. So far I've seen them used on a troll post and on a veiled personal attack - in both cases they were warranted. Other than random acts of insanity how will they come to be abused? If they lead to PMs that's a good thing. The two posters can work out their differences (or not) via PM and not clutter the board with their personal vendettas. The idea that this is only going to lead to problems is a bit of a false dichotomy. We have problems now with people who cannot control themselves. Adding another tool for them to express themselves like the +/- feature isn't going to solve the root problem or make it worse. Lastly - and this is an important point. This is not a democracy in the sense that everyone has an equal vote. Prop8 passed by a majority and it was the wrong thing to do. There is a minority of us on this board who have invested many years building up this community that we share. I care a lot more about Dayhike Mike or Dicey thinks than some Johnny Come Lately regardless of how many times they post.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Mrs. Baker

Mrs. Baker
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 am 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Regardless, I do feel that the negative options do have a place and *should* be included.
You forgot to say, "irregardless." clown.gif lol.gif Now is someone going to "gong" my post? This all reminds me of The Gong Show.

bobclark

bobclark
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 am 
Davidą wrote:
I have already handed out dozens of +'s to trip reports where I would otherwise not have made a comment. I think this will be a great ego boost to new posters since often they get ignored when they post reports.
I don't post often. For trip reports, saying "wow that's awesome" doesn't improve the signal-to-noise ratio. Adding a + lets me add some input to a trip report without degrading the signal.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 8:32 am 
Maybe we can add a feature to the site where we can build a little farm and others can take care of it, or maybe even build a mafia! PS anyone that negs this post is a stupid head and anyone that pos it is wicked awesome.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 9:36 am 
I don't get why people are vehemently opposed, there are no consequences to these ratings. It's just a quick way to express something you could otherwise say in a post. Not that I think it's necessary either, but at worst it's harmless.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 10:10 am 
I think the poll is premature. Let's give it a chance to work well or to fail before we decide whether to marry it or to kill it. Some people have concerns about bad things that will happen. Can we maybe wait until at least one bad thing happens first? And some things can be fixed by tweaking the system. So, I say let the feature run for a pre-determined amount of time, maybe a month. Then let's vote.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 10:34 am 
agree with Sluggo. Let's leave it to run for another month and do a poll before Thanksgiving.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 12:04 pm 
I'm indifferent as to which way the votes go for this new feedback system, therefor I'll not be placing a vote. I've read all of the comments and respect what each and everyone has shared. I'm glad that we are all afforded the opportunity to share in our own special ways and to be able to contribute as we best see fit. After all, that's what a healthy community does well. Whatever the outcome, Thanks Tom for your well intended efforts, I admire your courage and strength to stand up and take the heat for what you believe in. You have gifted us all with a place where we can share and because of this I will always be thankful. Peace, Richard

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 12:36 pm 
I'm ok with it as long as people vote Green for me (guess this means I'll have to develop my campaign platform too). lol.gif In all seriousness, I am pretty indifferent to it. It can stay or it can go. I've been using it from time to time, depending on the situation. I think it's really too soon to know how effective (or ineffective) it is.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostWed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 pm 
I like it. Mainly so I can give green to TRs I would not take the time to post on. But, it sounds like Tom has probably already made the decision to nuke it based on early stats. I guess I won't miss it all that much. If I would have given a red, I'll more likely post my comment.