Forum Index > Support & Feedback > New +/- Post Feedback Feature
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ejain

ejain
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:04 pm 
Tag Man wrote:
Then maybe you should make it per topic instead of per post. That makes much more sense to me.
It might still be useful to have a post-level option for flagging spam/abuse, but that doesn't have to be mixed up with the rating system...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:05 pm 
I went back and "neutralized" the votes I made anonymously that then became non-anonymous. Plus I am no longer against the new system. I'm not for it either, I'm withholding judgment. There are some pretty neat advantages, and maybe the drawbacks won't become a problem. Time will tell, and if it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, Tom will probably kill it. With all the incredibly cool things he's done with this site it is only fair to give it a chance to succeed or fail on its own merits, by popular acclaim, over time.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:06 pm 
Tag Man wrote:
Tom wrote:
No need to rate every post. It's really not intended for that.
Then maybe you should make it per topic instead of per post. That makes much more sense to me.
I disagree, a great TR could be rated into the ground by an argument in the 4th page of responses between members not even involved in the OP. Example is the Rest In Peace threads where someone has passed away in the mountains and then pages later a flame war about ultra light hiking blooms. It seems as though the point isn't to rank TRs by popularity, it's to give us additional ways to communicate our responses to individual posts.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:08 pm 
Here's a thought: the rating of the first post in a thread could be displayed along with the "views" and "responses" data. hmmm.gif This would help those who want to avoid negativity to steer away from contentious threads before getting sucked into the vortex. Or maybe not, since as is pointed out above, arguments tend to break out later in threads.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 pm 
As I have said a couple million times, I do not like spray in Trip Reports. If this would reduce some of the stupid bickering that goes on here it would be a good thing.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
ejain

ejain
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:15 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
If this would reduce some of the stupid bickering that goes on here it would be a good thing.
I doubt it; ratings can even become a source of bickering themselves, see the Seattle Times comments section...

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:17 pm 
I prefer the Facebook method. They refuse to have a dislike button. Why? Probably to keep people from fighting with each other and starting pissing matches and holding a grudge against others and de-friending simply because someone dislikes something. Anonymous or not it is simply too easy to dislike something by clicking a button, as evident in the fact that I disliked every post in which someone had something positive to say about this rating system. I think its stupid but this isn't a democracy so my "votes" don't really mean anything anyhow. I suspect Tom will keep this in place whether we like it or not.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:20 pm 
Tag Man wrote:
I prefer the Facebook method. They refuse to have a dislike button. Why? Probably to keep people from fighting with each other and starting pissing matches and holding a grudge against others and de-friending simply because someone dislikes something.
I don't think this truly exists in the real world and millions on FB have been demanding a 'dislike' since the rating system began.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:25 pm 
Perfect example of red usage without having to respond to troll posts: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=647039#647039

ejain

ejain
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:31 pm 
Tom wrote:
Perfect example of red usage without having to respond to troll posts: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=647039#647039
If you don't agree with a post, it seems more civil to post a reply and state why? On the other hand, if a post is inappropriate, there should be a simple flagging mechanism to help bring the post to the attention of a moderator so that it can be deleted. Don't know how much of an issue that is on this site.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:33 pm 
Why would you want to feed trolls?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:37 pm 
Sweet. No more feeding the trolls just to point out that they are trolls. ejain: there are some situations that are like a "broken record". If a person posts the same thing again and again and again, it's more trouble than it's worth to constantly post "That's not good". And is it civil to post that you think someone is crazy and that's why you don't like their post? No. And if 50 people don't like it, do we need fifty posts all giving the same reason? No. But I think it's good to have these points made. PS: Tom, stop reading my mind three minutes ahead! embarassedlaugh.gif

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:40 pm 
If he is a known troll then simply ban him and his IP, or ignore him. Why vote on if you like his post or not? paranoid.gif

ejain

ejain
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:40 pm 
Tom wrote:
Why would you want to feed trolls?
Trolls thrive on negative ratings...

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Sep 12, 2010 1:41 pm 
ejain wrote:
Tom wrote:
If you don't agree with a post, it seems more civil to post a reply and state why? On the other hand, if a post is inappropriate, there should be a simple flagging mechanism to help bring the post to the attention of a moderator so that it can be deleted. Don't know how much of an issue that is on this site.
Sometimes it's nice to nod in agreement or shake your head about something that already has a well written response to it so as not to totally disrupt a TR (ie Josh Lewis stating he knowingly camped in a wilderness location where it isn't allowed). This lets the OP know what the forum is feeling on the subject without detracting from other parts of a thread that may be positive (continued example Josh's strong photography work on same trip). Also posters sometimes jump into a thread discussion with something inane (sorry BPJ but 'I'll shoot the next off leash dog that jumps on me' comes to mind) and it's nice to disapprove and continue along with a constructive argument without taking 4 pages out to have everyone react to the derailing.