Forum Index > Trip Reports > Free Beer at Marten Lk. 09.18.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 10:57 pm 
With a dismal forecast in store for the wknd. but still wanting to get out for a hike, I opted for something close-in & not view dependent--Marten Lk. It had the added bonus of being a lesser-visited lake, plus I hadn't been there in a few yrs. & wanted to see how it compared to last time. BUT, it turned out to be sunny afterall. rant.gif doh.gif rolleyes.gif Damn, coulda done a peak instead. I guess I'm a shameless peakbagger, oh well. embarassedlaugh.gif Joining me on this hike would be HiT & our new hiking buddy Neil. We met Neil in Factoria & were off to North Bend, where we took the MFR to the Taylor River / Snoqualmie Lk. TH. The rd. had a fair amount of potholes but not as bad as I've seen it in the past.
Neil & HiT @ the TH
Neil & HiT @ the TH
We started up the trail as the skies began to clear. The warming sun was slowly evaporating the wetness off of the trees & other vegetation, causing a cool mist-like quality for photographs.
Junction
Junction
Beginning of trail
Beginning of trail
Filtered sun
Filtered sun
We reached the landmark snag & hung a left up the trail toward Marten Lk. The trail starts as a gradual incline, paralleling Marten Crk. There were pink ribbons tied to some of the branches, & a weird Blair Witch type thing hanging off a branch. paranoid.gif
Marten Crk.
Marten Crk.
Frog
Frog
WTF?? Someone took a piece of bark & used twine to hang it from a branch.  Creepy.
WTF?? Someone took a piece of bark & used twine to hang it from a branch. Creepy.
Fungus
Fungus
Eventually the trail gets into a meadowy area & is quite overgrown. The bushes were easily over my head & a machete would've been handy. ninja.gif
Time to whip out the machete
Time to whip out the machete
HiT & Neil navigate the brush
HiT & Neil navigate the brush
Views back down the valley
Views back down the valley
After the jungle of wet brush, the trail turns pretty steep for the last push to the lk. After temporarily getting off the main trail, we hooked up w/it again & caught up to Neil who was waiting on some boulders just before the lk. Then the 3 of us walked together the rest of the way to the shore.
Steep rooty section
Steep rooty section
Marten Lk.
Marten Lk.
Neil & HiT @ the lk.
Neil & HiT @ the lk.
Marten Lk.
Marten Lk.
Above the lk.
Above the lk.
Marten Lk.
Marten Lk.
Someone had left a tarp strung up between a couple of trees, as well as some garbage & an unopened 6-pack of beer. confused.gif HiT decided to pack out the trash & quickly confiscated the beer in her pack as well. lol.gif I guess it was too old to drink, or @ least that's what she told us. hmmm.gif wink.gif As the skies started to become overcast once again, we figured it was time to head out. We slipped & slid our way back down the trail, capturing some waterfall shots along the way. up.gif
Heading down
Heading down
Neil & HiT checking out the falls
Neil & HiT checking out the falls
Waterfall
Waterfall
By the time we neared the car it started to sprinkle, & was a steady rain on the drive back to town. Big thanks to HiT & Neil for accompanying me on this little leg stretcher; I look forward to hiking w/them again soon!* smile.gif up.gif *And maybe next time we'll get to drink the beer. clown.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
veronika

veronika
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 12:24 am 
Nice TR BC! I love the title... very fitting! The Bud was out of date but the tall cans of Ice House weren't! up.gif Had a great time. This is one of those hikes I would have never thought to do being a peakbagger myself. It was kinda funny, at the same time BC said aloud "We should have peaked something" the thought was running through my head! Great minds think alike. There wasn't alot of trash to be hauled out but any trash is more than enough. I decided to take down all the flagging on my way out as well so, if it was yours, TAKE IT DOWN NEXT TIME! Hauled out some broken glass and other little stuff. Here are a few pics as well (including the free beer!)
BC and Neil getting ready to hike.JPG
BC and Neil getting ready to hike.JPG
Blue skies baby!.JPG
Blue skies baby!.JPG
Taylor River.JPG
Taylor River.JPG
The nice peakbagging weather  :mad: .JPG
The nice peakbagging weather mad.gif .JPG
Bushwhack crapola.JPG
Bushwhack crapola.JPG
BC along the trail.JPG
BC along the trail.JPG
Neil wondering which way to go  :huh: .JPG
Neil wondering which way to go huh.gif .JPG
Trail.JPG
Trail.JPG
Trail.JPG
Trail.JPG
Marten Lake Framed #1.JPG
Marten Lake Framed #1.JPG
Marten Lake Framed #2.JPG
Marten Lake Framed #2.JPG
Crappy attempt at a Marten Lake pano.jpg
Crappy attempt at a Marten Lake pano.jpg
BC navigating the logs to a nice sunny lunch spot.jpg
BC navigating the logs to a nice sunny lunch spot.jpg
Neil at the lake.JPG
Neil at the lake.JPG
Waterfall on the way down.JPG
Waterfall on the way down.JPG
Hmmm... future swimming hole?.JPG
Hmmm... future swimming hole?.JPG
packed out the tarp.JPG
packed out the tarp.JPG
And of course, FREE BEER!   :drink:  :cheers:  :drink: .JPG
And of course, FREE BEER! drink.gif cheers.gif drink.gif .JPG
Looking for to more fun trips with both of them. Great company! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 1:12 am 
Thanks for picking up that trash. It wasn't there when I visited about 3 weeks ago. I was also creeped out by the weird hanging bark thing.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 7:36 am 
Yes thank you for packing all that stuff out. Juts once Id like to able to catch people leaving stuff like that behind.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 7:53 am 
Nice shot, HiT. humpy.gif As I recall, that waterfall is really tough to get into position to see, much less photograph. You explained to BC and Neil that you wanted to take the beer home and sterilize it before sharing? hmmm.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 8:15 am 
The beer reminds me of a trip I did in 2003 to Robin Lakes...
Quote:
I stopped for a break at Tuck Lake and the bugs were not bad, but I spoke to some guys who had camped there and they said the skeeters had been pretty bad the evening before. They were real guys' guys, diving from cliffs into the water with a WOO HOO, and when I approached their campsite (you had to walk through it to get up to Robin Lakes), I saw a big pile of crushed beer cans. I said, wow, you guys carried up all that beer? One of them answered in a gruff drawl, ""Yeah, we're stupid."" I chatted with them a bit about my plans, and started the trek up to Robin Lakes. On my way down, I was near Tuck Lake and I walked through the site where the guys had been camped the day before. They were gone, and they had cleaned everything up, except for one full can of Miller High Life sitting conspicuously on top of a rock. I realized they had left it for me. I figured the calories would be good for the trip down, so I sat by the lake and drank it. Thanks guys! (But for the record, you're not supposed to do that)

veronika

veronika
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 am 
The waterfall wasn't all that difficult really. It was just a hop, skip and jump down the side of the embankment. Well, maybe more of a jump. eek.gif As for the beer, I don't even drink beer. I was just hauling it out. The Bud expired last month (still in the trunk of the car) and the Ice House is still in my refrigerator. Expires in December. I suppose I will have to hike with BC and Neil and offer them a beer before December? biggrin.gif I ain't gonna drink it!

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
veronika

veronika
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 am 
Foist wrote:
The beer reminds me of a trip I did in 2003 to Robin Lakes...
Quote:
I stopped for a break at Tuck Lake and the bugs were not bad, but I spoke to some guys who had camped there and they said the skeeters had been pretty bad the evening before. They were real guys' guys, diving from cliffs into the water with a WOO HOO, and when I approached their campsite (you had to walk through it to get up to Robin Lakes), I saw a big pile of crushed beer cans. I said, wow, you guys carried up all that beer? One of them answered in a gruff drawl, ""Yeah, we're stupid."" I chatted with them a bit about my plans, and started the trek up to Robin Lakes. On my way down, I was near Tuck Lake and I walked through the site where the guys had been camped the day before. They were gone, and they had cleaned everything up, except for one full can of Miller High Life sitting conspicuously on top of a rock. I realized they had left it for me. I figured the calories would be good for the trip down, so I sat by the lake and drank it. Thanks guys! (But for the record, you're not supposed to do that)
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 3:21 pm 
Trip report title reminds me of when I climbed Glacier Peak last time and someone left a bunch of old beer in a pouch. lol.gif

hikapath

hikapath
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 3:28 pm 
I suspect that the peak above Martin Lk is Rooster

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 4:20 pm 
That beer expiration stuff is complete BS, don't throw it out. I will take it off your hands, even if is lowly Buttweiser.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 6:31 pm 
looks like a cool trip, and I don't think beer expires either. I would drink it! biggrin.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 6:41 pm 
I've had expired beer before & it was pretty tasteless IMO. down.gif Plus, I've heard that if beer gets cold, then warm, then cold...etc it starts to taste skunky. gag.gif Never tested that theory though. paranoid.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 7:00 pm 
Well the beer I saw was very smelly and old, prehaps it had been out for days. Although I'm not a fan of it in the first place. lol.gif BTW - I just read the part of the trip report with the beer and found out you were refering to the beer in the trip report. embarassedlaugh.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
I've had expired beer before & it was pretty tasteless IMO. down.gif
Well, it is Budweiser...