Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cashmere Mountain; September 11, 2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 10:19 am 
Hinkers: GeoTom and Zeusdaddy Access: Highway 2 > Icicle Creek Road > Eightmile Road Maps: Green Trails #209S The Enchantments and a custom TOPO! creation Trails/Route: Eightmile Lake trail #1552 > Lake Caroline trail #1554 > Off-trail travel Mileage: ~18 total Elevation Gain: ~6,300 total (per GPS) Photos: My full flickr set (many included below) The story With a favorable weather forecast for Saturday I set my sights on Cashmere Mountain. Hoping for a little company on the trip I asked a few people that haven't yet blocked my emails. Here is a sampling of the responses I received: dicey- "I've already been up Cashmere, stupid." Yana- "I already have plans this weekend, stupid." Oggie- "I'm going fishing with my dad, stupid." Jasper- "I'd love to have you chase me to the top, but dogs aren't allowed on those trails, stupid." Ok, nobody actually said stupid in their responses, but I could tell from the tone of their emails (or in Jasper's case, the way he started chewing on his toy) that they were thinking it. However, there was one person who was stupid enough to join me: Zeusdaddy. And, he was even willing to do the driving. How stupid was that? We arrived at the trailhead to find a solitary hunter with his dog and a group of 3 climbers about to head out for Cashmere, but they said they were going to try a route on the southeastern side. We wished them well and headed up the Eightmile Lake trail, maintaining a slightly slower than TNAB pace. Eventually we reached Little Eightmile Lake and turned right onto the Lake Caroline trail. The sun was out and the temperature was good for hiking in t-shirts. Well, pants too. And shoes. We took a short break at the saddle above Caroline Lake, before continuing to the lake and beyond to Little Caroline Lake. At the switchback ~6,800' we considered leaving the trail for the direct route up the southern rib to the summit ridge, but eventually decided to continue along the trail to Windy Pass. Apparently we needed the extra mileage.
Scott starts up the trail
Scott starts up the trail
Axis Peak
Axis Peak
Little Eightmile Lake
Little Eightmile Lake
Peaks, stumps and trail
Peaks, stumps and trail
Axis through the snags
Axis through the snags
Stuart north side
Stuart north side
Caroline Lake morning
Caroline Lake morning
Top of Cashmere poking up above the ridge
Top of Cashmere poking up above the ridge
Scott heads for Windy Pass
Scott heads for Windy Pass
From Windy Pass the route was easy to follow along the western ridge. Views increased as did the shutter delay. Just before the 8,000' saddle we caught up to a group of 3 that had been camped at Caroline Lake. They were considering continuing beyond, but wanted to see what we did first. What did we do? We stopped to eat lunch. After (first) lunch we put on our helmets, tightened our laces and headed for the summit. The route description had us traverse along the north side of the ridge for a little while before ascending one of several gullies. There was a layer of fairly new snow that made travel a little annoying, but we were able to punch steps so we were able to make our way around the mountain. Thinking we had arrived at the correct gully we started up for the visible notch. Zeusdaddy took a more direct route to the notch, while I angled left then back right to arrive at the notch before him. I was tempted to yell insults and toss rocks down at him, but I decided that would be a really stupid thing to do. You know, with him driving and all. On the south side of the notch the snow was gone, and I even noticed a couple small cairns. Kicking them over as we went by, we headed for what appeared to be the summit. I was a little worried that there might be a higher point beyond that might require backtracking, but we ran out of mountain and saw no higher points nearby. I looked briefly for a summit register, but did not find one. Second lunch was eaten, and we enjoyed the views from a flatter spot just below the top. I even decided to head back to the summit (that's right, I climbed Cashmere twice in one day) for a photo op. My mom always complains that there are hardly any photos of me from my trips. One look at me and most of you will realize why, but I decided to humor her this time.
View north from Windy Pass
View north from Windy Pass
Mt. Daniel
Mt. Daniel
Still a ways to go
Still a ways to go
One step at a time
One step at a time
The summit block is in sight
The summit block is in sight
Look Tom, no crampons!
Look Tom, no crampons!
View from our first lunch spot
View from our first lunch spot
Go left
Go left
Ready for snow travel?
Ready for snow travel?
Our gully? Nope, not yet
Our gully? Nope, not yet
Scott considers his options
Scott considers his options
Scott ascends to the saddle
Scott ascends to the saddle
View from the final saddle
View from the final saddle
No snow on the south side
No snow on the south side
Cashmere summit shot
1 label
Cashmere summit shot
Another summit for the happy couple
Another summit for the happy couple
Rock on!
Rock on!
This one's for you mom
This one's for you mom
Improper use of a helmet
Improper use of a helmet
A look east from the summit
A look east from the summit
Big Jim and Big Lou
Big Jim and Big Lou
Our 45 minutes of leisure at the summit came to and end and we retraced our steps back to the 8,000' saddle. From there we took the obvious bootpath down the southern rib. The bootpath faded as we descended, but the terrain was open and we ended up hitting the trail within 10 feet of where we had considered leaving it on our way up. The descent to Caroline Lake and Little Eightmile Lake went well. The final 3 miles to the trailhead had mysteriously gotten longer since the morning, but not long enough for us to make it back to the car without needing our headlamps.
Enchanting
Enchanting
We took a different way back
We took a different way back
Scott and Cashmere Mountain
Scott and Cashmere Mountain
Descent route
Descent route
Little Annapurna
Little Annapurna
Rock in field
Rock in field
Goodbye Caroline Lake
Goodbye Caroline Lake
Another snag
Another snag
Shy chipmunk
Shy chipmunk
Follow the trail
Follow the trail
Scott descends
Scott descends
Last light on Cannon
Last light on Cannon
Dinner and beer at Gustav's was appreciated, although Zeusdaddy's beer choice was a bit questionable. We made it through the Gold Bar-Startup-Sultan metropolis without experiencing the dreaded backups, and before I knew it I was being pushed out of the car in front of my driveway. Jasper seemed excited to see me. Luckily he doesn't hold grudges too long when I don't take him hiking.

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am 
Very nice I am glad the weather held. up.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 10:59 am 
Dani wrote:
Very nice I am glad the weather held. up.gif
So, Dani was Jasper siTting while Tom was cavorting in the mountains. rolleyes.gif Tom, you gotta take Dani out for pizza for her thouhgfulness. lol.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 pm 
up.gif Nice spot for a blue sky day up.gif !

Living in the Anthropocene
Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 12:47 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Dinner and beer at Gustav's was appreciated, although Zeusdaddy's beer choice was a bit questionable.
Probably because there weren't any Canadian beers on tap? clown.gif That's quite the impressive stats for a dayhike, who is this Zeusdaddy you speak of? He hardly has any posts on nw, he needs to participate more. He must be a machine to keep up with you GeoTom. hockeygrin.gif In all seriousness, good job guys! As always your TR's make me laugh - thanks.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 2:21 pm 
Yup J was hanging out with mom all day. He was helping me around the house! biggrin.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 4:57 pm 
Very, very stupid photos, Tom! hockeygrin.gif What was the poor beer choice of Mr. Zeusdaddy? DO TELL.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 5:22 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Just before the 8,000' saddle we caught up to a group of 3 that had been camped at Caroline Lake. They were considering continuing beyond, but wanted to see what we did first. What did we do? We stopped to eat lunch.
lol.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 5:46 pm 
I wish you would have emailed me so I could have piled on with the name calling. clown.gif Nice work fellas. up.gif up.gif Class 3? Spontaneous or climber induced rockfall?

zeusdaddy

zeusdaddy
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 pm 
A great (though long) trip! I won't admit too much about my choice of beer, but fatigue and dehydration probably had a lot to do with it. In my defense, I didn't know the beers on tap were on the backside of the drink menu... I thought I only had a few bottled beer choices to choose from. I did buy a case of Kokanee on the way home today, just to make Karen happy. It's glacier beer, you know. I have attached a few of my pics, the others can be found here: flickr pics
Snagographer
Snagographer
We ended up walking the ridge in the background from left to right.
We ended up walking the ridge in the background from left to right.
Pano from near Windy Pass
Pano from near Windy Pass
from Windy Pass
from Windy Pass
Tom ascending to the ridge above Windy Pass
Tom ascending to the ridge above Windy Pass
Pt 8279 on the left, Cashmere just beyond
Pt 8279 on the left, Cashmere just beyond
Neat rock garden along the ridge
Neat rock garden along the ridge
Getting closer to Cashmere
Getting closer to Cashmere
Trying to spot the proper gully.
Trying to spot the proper gully.
Working our way up in the new snow
Working our way up in the new snow
Watch that first step!
Watch that first step!
Heading back down after a break
Heading back down after a break
A little snowy on the North side
A little snowy on the North side
Tom surveying our best route down
Tom surveying our best route down
I thought this was supposed to be summer time :p
I thought this was supposed to be summer time tongue.gif
North ridge of Cashmere
North ridge of Cashmere
Great relaxing descent
Great relaxing descent
Another look back at Cashmere
5 labels
Another look back at Cashmere
Random Rock in a Field
Random Rock in a Field
Snags and Cashmere
Snags and Cashmere

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Class 3? Spontaneous or climber induced rockfall?
Mostly Class 2 with a little Class 3. The various route descriptions* say you can get into 4th and even low 5th Class if you go off route. If you pay attention you shouldn't stray off route. We could have gone without the helmets, but decided to wear them since we had carried them that far. Maybe without the snow covering we "enjoyed" the gullies might have been more of a bowling alley. *I had route descriptions from Smoot's Climbing Washington's Mountains, Goldman's 75 Scrambles and Stephenson/Bongiovanni's Summit Routes.

Knows literally nothing
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Sep 13, 2010 9:15 pm 
Thanks for the beta, as Cashmere is still on my list. smile.gif That's too bad about the snow though--looks like the brief summer window has already closed & this will have to be put off, again. rolleyes.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Sep 14, 2010 6:25 pm 
Thanks for the TR! I'm 0-2 on that mountain, it's about time for another try

Eric Eames
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Sep 14, 2010 7:20 pm 
6300 feet! I'm not that stupid!

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
fzte
All in the Boots

fzte
All in the Boots
PostTue Sep 14, 2010 10:57 pm 
Looks like a great trip with a little something for everyone. up.gif

Climbing for Camp Erin - Zero to Everest | Facebook | Twitter