Forum Index > Gear Talk > Croc Alternatives - Komodo Aquarius at Big 5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 7:09 pm 
I found these at Big 5 today for $15 when looking for some Croc knockoffs.
Kodmo Aquarius
Kodmo Aquarius
I googled 'em and found this discussion at BPL. Mine are size 12 and weighed in at 6.25 oz each. Might be a little heavier than Crocs (not sure, I don't have any Crocs that size to compare against). One thing I like about them vs. Crocs is they aren't as spongy and don't have pebbles on the bottom (my feet don't like the pebbles). YMMV. Also, they have a cinch. I picked up the last ones at the Issaquah Big 5 but they might have them in other stores.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 8:16 pm 
Do they pass the Three Tests? hmmm.gif Number one, are they lightweight? I'd say so. Number two, are they good stream crossers? Since they strap down, I'd guess "yes". Number three, would they make decent camp slippers, to let you take off your hiking boots in camp? They sure look like they would. I may have to hunt down a pair of size 14s, if such a thing exists.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 2:54 pm 
Great recommendation Tom. I looked all around for knock offs, but couldn't find any that felt good so I got some Crocs and like 'em (esp. as slippers around the house), but don't think they'd work well for stream crossings because they are too loose. These look like the ticket, and the price is right.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 5:33 pm 
They look like someone made a mold from a pair of Keene's and then recast them in rubber.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 6:59 pm 
Dang Crocs are hard to find these days. Glad I bought two pair of the "Off Road" version when I did.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Sep 21, 2010 9:07 pm 
I used to have a pair of hideous orange ones that looked almost identical to those. I found them at Payless shoes, I think. They worked great and I was disappointed not to find anything similar. Worked great for stream crossings and other slippery things that regular Crocs failed. Good find, I'll have to get a pair!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 1:17 am 
I was looking at the tag tonight and noticed it indicates "Imported By Gen-X Sports Inc." I googled them along with the word "Komodo" and found this article from 2006: http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2006/04/03/daily14.html
Quote:
Crocs ... is suing 11 companies, claiming their shoes infringe on its patents and copy its distinctive look... including Gen-X Sports Inc. of Carson, Calif., for its Komodo.
And this blurb in Croc's 10Q filing: http://www.faqs.org/sec-filings/100805/Crocs-Inc_10-Q/
Quote:
The ITC has issued final determinations terminating... Gen-X Sports, Inc... from the ITC investigation... on the basis of settlement
I'm guessing these are closeouts and once they're gone they're gone for good.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 pm 
I've called all the Big 5s up here in Snohomish county and they don't have any - never even heard of em. Oh well.

ADAHY

ADAHY
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 pm 
Say Tom thanks for the recommendation on the Komodo's, got mine today at the big five in west seattle ( size eight ) they are 1/2 ounce lighter then my original crocs per sandal. Ther was one size nine left on the shelf when I left at threeish. Quite comfortable, and a much better creek crosser than the crocs due to the firmer fit. Although not as soft underfoot. I think I lucked out.

" The price of freedom is eternal vigilance".
BaNosser

BaNosser
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 9:41 pm 
These are what my kids hiked in the last two yrs... no blisters

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 11:20 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Do they pass the Three Tests? hmmm.gif Number one, are they lightweight? I'd say so. Number two, are they good stream crossers? Since they strap down, I'd guess "yes". Number three, would they make decent camp slippers, to let you take off your hiking boots in camp? They sure look like they would. I may have to hunt down a pair of size 14s, if such a thing exists.
don't you mean 4 tests? They pass the all important CHEAP test. $15. these appear to be exactly what I've been looking for to replace my Keens for stream crossing/camp shoes. I had been considering crocs and duct tape for stream crossing. Thanks Tom! I have to close by Big 5's to give me a shot at finding these. I've been obsessing about this all summer but had not run across a good solution.