Forum Index > Gear Talk > lopper recommendation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostFri Sep 17, 2010 12:12 pm 
i'm looking for a durable, yet reasonable weight lopper to carry along with me on the trail. i'd like something that uses more than just a bolt for its pivot mechanism - something that has geared teeth or equivalent. any recommendations for a good product that is reasonably priced? i'm currently leaning towards something like this with a 2-inch cutting capacity: http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9136-PowerGear-25-Inch-Bypass/dp/B000BGWB7I/ref=sr_1_5?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1284749786&sr=1-5

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Sep 17, 2010 2:39 pm 
Here is a recommendation from one of the trail maintenance gurus with the PCTA and with TrailKeepers of Oregon:
Quote:
Fiskars has a "Power Gear" 15 inch Anvil Lopper. We in the PCTA maintenance circle absolutely love 'em and most of us carry them even when we aren't officially doing trail maintenance. We throw one in each pack... they are light weight as well as powerful. I think we do as much with these as we do with the heavier long-handled loppers because of the gearing - more perhaps because these are lighter to carry. These are bigger than pruners but a lot smaller than your average lopper. If you're going to do more than just making it easy for the hiker to stay on the trail, it's important to cut to the actual clearing limits - at least 6 foot wide at knee high. It's so disheartening to come in as a trail crew and have to make more cuts where someone has already cut just because they cut to about one foot wide, and of course the trail clearance is far wider. I've had this experience as a trail crew more than once and it really is frustrating and sad.
The recommended lopper looks like what you're looking at, but less heavy. Edit: I did find the 15-inch version on amazon. Down here we have quite a few individuals going out on their own for trail maintenance who are coordinating their activities with the Forest Service. It is possible. Most of the reports I've read have been on the Gifford Pinchot NF.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Sep 17, 2010 8:00 pm 
The big loppers you mention are overkill for renegade lopping. I like the Corona bypass loppers a bit smaller than: Corona biggie With small loppers you can do more branches per minute, because they are so nimble. For larger branches and up to 10" logs, you can pull saw them in seconds with one of these: Too-big pruning saw

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 7:13 am 
If nothing else, you can pack a small pair of pruning shears in a back pocket. On some blowdowns, an axe might be the way to go. One needs to know how to use an axe properly. Think of it as a large chip remover.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm 
Mine are one-piece forged steel- jaws and handles are one piece. Big rubber no-slip handles. Cannot remember where I got them. They were about $50 .... about 20 years ago. Bulletproof. Unbreakable. Will cut anything that will fit into the jaws. Cannot imagine trying to do trail work with "lightweight" loppers.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Sep 18, 2010 6:38 pm 
Ok Iron, why?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bruce

Bruce
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 9:49 am 
"FISKERS"

iron

iron
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 9:51 am 
picked up these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8/R-100186343/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 compromised between weight, size, and cutting capacity. but, i really wanted a geared system, and this fit the bill. it's amazing how light and sharp they are. thanks for the advice everyone!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 11:04 am 
Nice! up.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 11:27 am 
Might have to get some of those myself. Pruners work well though for just the casual as you hike kind of stuff and just fit in a back pocket especially if you also carry some kind of small pruning saw.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 12:16 pm 
Hey iron, I just got this for my birthday.
We should team up. cool.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
iron

iron
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 12:21 pm 
i think i'll walk behind you:

ONELUV1

ONELUV1
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 1:21 pm 
A little late but I'd go w/ a machete. If you know how to use it you can cut through 4+" rounds easily (using and axe styled swing). Some come w/ saws on the spine and would be a great tool in a defense type sitiuation. Weighs less than a 1lb. I used to carry an axe where allowed for fires, trail maint etc....but can cut almost as fast and as big w/ a huge wieght saving w/ the machete. Leave the ax in the trunk for Ghostface and for fell trees.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 10:51 pm 
iron wrote:
picked up these: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh8/R-100186343/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 compromised between weight, size, and cutting capacity. but, i really wanted a geared system, and this fit the bill. it's amazing how light and sharp they are. thanks for the advice everyone!
I have a pair of those. They're great and lightweight.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Sep 24, 2010 6:14 am 
ONELUV1 wrote:
A little late but I'd go w/ a machete.
Hmm, I tried a machete and found it pretty useless. On the soft stuff, it wasn't long enough to reach much, so a big stick worked better. And I had to worry about hitting rocks on low swings and dulling the blade. On the woody stuff, the machete didn't cut it and the brush just bounced back. This was in a situation where I was trying to maintain forward progress while clearing, so I was using the machete one-handed. Maybe if you actually grabbed a shrubbery with your free hand and then chopped at it with the machete it would work better.