Forum Index > Trip Reports > Larch Lakes (Entiat), 9/16-17/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer

Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 1:36 am 
I had another chunk of time off of work just in time for another rain system to move in and get all the mountains wet. So, I picked the least amount of predictable rain. This pointed me to the Wenatchee area. The Larch Lakes trail is at the end of the Entiat River Road off of 97A. Because of the length of the drive and the total miles for this lollypop loop, I decided to make this an overnighter. This is my first solo backpacking trip! Ever! The Entiat River Trail is the main trail that other trails shoot off from. Starting the trail around 10am, the trail is mostly flat following the river. The trail passes the Duncan Hill trail turnoff about half way to Myrtle Lake. The trail turns off and crosses the Entiat River on a bridge and goes up to Myrtle Lake. The outlet creek sort of took over some the trail, but logs are in place to walk across. I saw (and heard) a hawk fly over the lake. There were a couple of tents on the other side of the lake. I continued my way up to a junction. The marked sign that goes to the right is the Larch Lakes "hikers only" trail. The left unmarked choice goes to Cow Creek Meadows. This is the one I wanted to start the loop.
Entiat River bridge
Entiat River bridge
Myrtle Creek crossing
Myrtle Creek crossing
Myrtle Lake
Myrtle Lake
The trail switchbacks up the mountain until Cow Creek Meadows is near at which point the trail levels off. I started smelling smoke. As Cow Creek got closer, I saw a camp with a couple of hunters and a fire going. After crossing the creek, there is another junction. The left had a sign that said Cow Creek Meadows. The right was unmarked, a little overgrown and the one I wanted. The trail started switchbacking up this mountain to give a view of Cow Creek Meadows below, Rampart Mountain and the Entiat River Valley. The trail comes to another junction with the Garland Peak trail. I turned right and went around the corner to a nice small stream to have a rest and food. A lot of larches are in this area, but it is still early for them. (Only a few are starting to turn yellow.) But, a lot of bushes are turning yellow and red and the mushrooms are popping up now.
Upper Cow Creek crossing
Upper Cow Creek crossing
Rampart Mountain
Rampart Mountain
Cave at the bottom of Rampart Mt.
Cave at the bottom of Rampart Mt.
Cow Creek Meadows
Cow Creek Meadows
Garland Peak Junction and Fifth of July Mt.
Garland Peak Junction and Fifth of July Mt.
Duncan Hill view
Duncan Hill view
The trail goes down and up again to the ridge overlooking the upper Larch Lake with a nice 180 degree view. Then the trail goes down passing a few camping spots on top of the ridge. Soon the Larch Lake basin is reached. At this point, about 4:30pm, it started to rain lightly. I was glad I was at my destination when it started to rain. Now, finding a spot. I past a spot on the upper lake, then I past another junction to go up to a saddle or go down to the lower lake. I met some hunters who were taking up the two big lower lake camp spots, so I went back up and took an off shoot trail that led to another big camp spot at the upper lake. (So, I saw two big spots at both upper and lower lakes.) I put up my tent and searched for a food bag tree. There are a few mosquitos at the lake - just enough to be annoying. After dinner, I went into my tent and listened to the rain as it was getting dark now at around 7pm. After learning some lessons on why a flat ground is not necessarily flat when rain is dumped on it, I dozed off. I woke a little later at 10pm to hear nothing. Then I was out until morning.
Upper Larch Lake (Chilly Peak in back)
Upper Larch Lake (Chilly Peak in back)
Pinnacle Mt., Milham Pass, Saska Mt., Emerald Mt, Cardinal Peak
Pinnacle Mt., Milham Pass, Saska Mt., Emerald Mt, Cardinal Peak
Entiat River Valley
Entiat River Valley
Flat clearing
Flat clearing
Upper Larch Lake
Upper Larch Lake
Lower Larch Lake
Lower Larch Lake
Lower Larch Lake Campground field
Lower Larch Lake Campground field
I woke up to about 45 degrees and some blue sky. After putting my rain gear on and having breakfast, I took a morning "walk" to Pomas Pass. (Fifth of July Mountain was still cloud covered.) I started by hiking up to a saddle where I got a view of the valley on the other side and then hiking up a mountain a little and traversing it. More clouds were coming in to obscure the view. The trail then switchbacks down and then across a handful of rock gullies then down again to the pass. I was hoping the clouds would move out of the way to get a good view, but it did not happen. So, I just listened to the birds chirp and the Ice Creek run.
Up the ridge from Larch Lakes to Pomas Pass
Up the ridge from Larch Lakes to Pomas Pass
Carne Mt. ridge and Old Gib Mt.
Carne Mt. ridge and Old Gib Mt.
Upper Rock Creek Valley with Carne Mt. and Chilly Peak
Upper Rock Creek Valley with Carne Mt. and Chilly Peak
Lower Rock Creek Valley
Lower Rock Creek Valley
Pomas Pass
Pomas Pass
Best view of South Spectacle Butte from Pomas Pass
Best view of South Spectacle Butte from Pomas Pass
Pomas Pass
Pomas Pass
Sandstone rock gully
Sandstone rock gully
Larch Lakes and Entiat Valley
Larch Lakes and Entiat Valley
I got back at lunch. So, I ate, packed up, and started down around 1pm. The trail started switchbacking down with the falls coming into view. It warmed up to 60 degrees by this point. Soon I was at the "hikers only" junction. I knew it was not far to the river, so I went left to check it out. I went through a fairly recent burnt section of the forest before I got to the river. After checking the river crossing where the trail use to go, I went back to the junction and went on the "hikers only" trail, crossing Larch Lakes and Cow Creek streams to go back to Myrtle Lake. After the lake, it is a nice easy walk back to the car. On the way, I was passed by a group of horse riders who were at the Entiat Glacier. It also started to rain lightly, again about 4:30pm. But this time, it only lasted about 15 minutes and I was under trees most of the time. I got back around 5:30pm. What a nice first solo backpacking trip. up.gif
Upper Larch Lake
Upper Larch Lake
Upper Larch Lake
Upper Larch Lake
Upper Larch Lake
Upper Larch Lake
Larch Lakes Falls
Larch Lakes Falls
Fall at Larch Lakes Falls
Fall at Larch Lakes Falls
Lower Larch Lakes Falls
Lower Larch Lakes Falls
Entiat River ford crossing
Entiat River ford crossing
Burnt Forest
Burnt Forest
Lower Cow Creek
Lower Cow Creek

Wherever the trail takes me.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 am 
This is my first solo backpacking trip! Ever! Warning, it is addictive! smoker.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am 
Nice TR and photos. I just did that loop in the other direction and without the rain, but with the horses and hunters. It think it is much quieter other times of the year.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 1:19 pm 
beautiful spot - interesting to see it without all the snow

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun Sep 19, 2010 4:07 pm 
Did you see any high hunters out there?

Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer

Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm 
Kep7790 wrote:
Did you see any high hunters out there?
There were the few hunters at the lower lake...and more further in towards Entiat glacier. In the morning coming back from Pomas Pass, I chatted with a hunter who's buddy did kill a buck up on the end of a ridge I was actually thinking about scrambling to but decided not to. On the mileage note, it is about a 17 mile loop and about a 4 mile round trip to Pomas Pass.

Wherever the trail takes me.