Forum Index > Trip Reports > Entiat Meadows 9-13-10 to 9-15-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Seracer

Seracer
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 pm 
Life has a funny way of dragging you into places you don’t expect. For the first time in nearly 30 years, I found myself laid off from the workforce. It’s not really unexpected, I have been packing away savings for the last year or so in anticipation. So, with my new-found freedom, I decided to grab my pack and spend my 54th. birthday in the Entiat Meadows area this last week. Max the dog and I got a leisurely start but were hiking up the trail by 2pm on Monday afternoon with hopes of making the Meadows that night. The day was perfect for hiking with clear skies and cool weather. We pulled into the trailhead parking lot to find many, many more vehicles than I was expecting. I was later to find out that the high hunt was starting on Wednesday and lots of hunters were heading in early to set up camp. There were multiple horse trailers and lots of big 4x4 pickups. The trail was it’s usual talcum powder beat up mess with lots of road apples. The flies and mosquitoes were no-shows, thankfully, due to the freezing nights we have had recently. Love hiking in September! We progressed up the valley, meeting a line of empty horses with a pair of handlers coming out of Snow Brushy Creek after dropping off hunters at their camp.
By 6pm it was obvious we were not making the meadows prior to dark, so we stopped at the nice Ice Creek junction campsite. I had packed some additional gear to test out this trip, including my new Svea winter stove and homemade bodybag sleeping quilt to try as an underquilt to my hammock. I strung the hammock up and secured the bodybag under it, using stickon velcro to secure the sides and the drawstrings to support the ends. Soon I had the Svea purring with dinner. The Svea is a 123R (as opposed to my old 123) with the self cleaning needle. It took a moment to get the hang of shut off (all the way clockwise) and cleaning (all the way counterclockwise), but not long. I love this stove. Simple, dependable, classic design. My 30 year old one is going on my wall of fame along with my wood ice axe. With the clear skies I did not string up my tarp and after dinner (and a celebratory bottle of homebrew for my birthday present to me) Max and I retired to the hammock. The night was cold, but not freezing. Max lay on my stomach or along side me under the BCB. The bodybag worked pretty well, but I felt some cold spots under my shoulders and backside, from either compression of the insulation or cold air entering from the top (or bottom) where the bodybag and hammock did not seal up tight. I will need to look at this at home and come up with a solution. Even with the cold spots, Max and I slept well and did not leave the hammock till late morning. It’s easy to spend too much time in a hammock. After breakfast, I played with the bodybag hang a bit, and decided to string up the tarp in case the weather turned during the day. It would protect my gear while Max and I did a daytrip up into the meadows and also perhaps add some warmth Tuesday night.
I threw some food and water into the pack, left the rest under the tarp and we headed up valley. The day continued warm and comfortable as we hiked up valley along the easily graded trail. Soon we were at the first meadows. The Entiat Meadows are a series of meadows on the north side of the river. Most of them sit on a slight grade, not flat, and are beginning to show the telltale brown of autumn. The peaks of the Spectacle Buttes loomed up to the south, and Tinpan Mountain dominated the north ridgeline. By the time we reached the Cool Creek trail junction, Buckskin, Maude, Seven Finger Jack and Fernow were coming into view.
Max is a little shi-tzu, with short legs and a strong will. I find that 7 to 8 miles a day is his limit, and by Cool Creek he was beginning to linger in the cool shade, so that became our turn around point. I had wanted to make it all the way to the glacial moraine at the back of the valley but it was not to be. We spent a nice break in the meadow area at the junction, then turned back. Several horse packers passed us coming in as we retreated. I recall one packer being astounded that little Max had come all the way on his own power. We made camp again in mid afternoon. A very tame doe circled around us, looking for handouts. Max was the perfect little watchdog, not barking but keeping his eye on her and growling if she ventured too close. A fast little chipmunk, however, teased him mercilessly. The two of them played a game of tag that was dominated by the little tree climber but seemed to entertain Max. It certainly entertained me. We spent another coolish night in the hammock, this night with my blue foam pad helping with the cold backside. Morning dawned mostly clear but with a promise of rain later. We spent a slow morning enjoying the cool air then packed up and headed out by noon. As the trailhead got close, the sky began to spit rain finally. By the time we were in the truck the rain was steady and got heavier as we descended down the Entiat Valley. All in all, a very nice way to spend three days.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 2:58 pm 
Looks like you strung your hammock between the same two trees I did when I stayed at Ice Camp several weeks ago. The same doe hung around waiting for me to take a leak. She had a very pleasant disposition. Nice valley to hang out in. And Ice Lakes is not too far up the trail from that camp. Good TR.

Seracer

Seracer
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 3:05 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Looks like you strung your hammock between the same two trees I did when I stayed at Ice Camp several weeks ago. The same doe hung around waiting for me to take a leak. She had a very pleasant disposition. Nice valley to hang out in. And Ice Lakes is not too far up the trail from that camp. Good TR.
Probably right, they seemed the best two trees in the area. I have been to Ice Lakes a few times, yep. They are a great spot and remind me of the Enchantments without all the traffic. Did you hang at Ice Lakes? I was trying to recall trees large enough to support a hammock up there. I have also been to the Entiat Meadows several times as well.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 20, 2010 4:16 pm 
I got my first hammock this summer and have only had it out on a few outings (but am a convert). I grew up in that valley and have been to Ice Lakes several times but not since before I got drafted in the 1960's(if you can believe that). However, each time someone posts a TR on the area now I look for trees in the photos. There seems to be some around. Ever thought of using climbing gear(cams, pitons, bolts, etc.) to hang in rocky areas above tree line?