Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Sleepless In Seattle???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostWed Dec 01, 2010 11:58 pm 
I'm under a request to shove the excuses aside (of which I have many) and go find me someone. I'm thinking a 30- or 40-something college student like me would be a good date for me at this point. So which site should get my ad?

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kozaroza
The Mountain Machine

Kozaroza
The Mountain Machine
PostThu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 pm 
RokIzGud wrote:
Has anyone met someone really cool just to find out there moving out of state for a quarter long internship (no she didnt just tell me that paranoid.gif )? This blows...
Quite a remarkable story: I worked once upon a time with a nice, small cute Vietnamese lady in her forties. In her early twenties, after she already had 5 children, her husband was imprisoned by Vietcong. She ran away from the country with her children, becoming one of many "boat people" and ended up in the US. She raised her children by herself and put all of them through college. After over 20 years her husband was finally released from prison and she could sponsor him to come to the US. They finally settled together. She waited for him all this time... A more typical story: A Chinese post doc in my lab had a long distance relationship for 7 years - she and her boyfriend were both graduate students in Europe, then moved to US for post doc positions but didn't manage to find positions at the same workplace. They had no choice: both needed to work, because they were not married and had no green card. The worst thing was that they had to keep this long distance thing while she was pregnant - I was among those who were helping her out in her late pregancy...

Don't be anxious that the universe might be beyond your control - perspective of new possibilities is thrilling!
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 am 
RokIzGud wrote:
Sorry about that, Chief.

touron

touron
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 12:23 am 
captain jack wrote:
RokIzGud wrote:
Sorry about that, Chief.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
awaygirl

awaygirl
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 8:54 am 
So stoked that it looks like the injections went well and are fixing up my hips. It took a while for all of the internally numb-y stuff to wear off. Now it just is really sore down by my knees, but I think that might be because they tweaked some tendons when they were getting through my hip socket. I'm super stoked that I am house and dog sitting for a friend for nearly a week down in Seattle. I'm going to get my trial run of living in the city - so much is in walking distance from her place. Have a ton of plans and things I need to do (found my size of atlast snowshoes with trekking poles for $50 on CL, gotta finish up some care packages for some soldiers in Afghanistan and get some FUN FUN FUN paperwork done for the divorce crap). All in all - I'm betting the time is just gonna fly! It's going to be a great weekend / week.

Whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should. My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26271329@N00/
awaygirl

awaygirl
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 10:27 am 
car68 wrote:
RokIzGud wrote:
Has anyone met someone really cool just to find out there moving out of state for a quarter long internship (no she didnt just tell me that paranoid.gif )? This blows...
Yep, been there done that. Only it wasn't for a quarter it was forever. I missed her.
kinda funny how time works. goes by so quickly when you're having a blast, and then just slows to a crawl when things like this happen. Ahh, gotta love human perception. The heart wants what it wants, and when it doesn't get it... ugh.

Whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should. My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26271329@N00/
Kozaroza
The Mountain Machine

Kozaroza
The Mountain Machine
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 10:20 pm 
Oarboar wrote:
I'm under a request to shove the excuses aside (of which I have many) and go find me someone. I'm thinking a 30- or 40-something college student like me would be a good date for me at this point. So which site should get my ad?
You seem to be a sensitive and straightforward guy. My female intuition tells me for you to try: -volunteering, for ex: Outdoors for All -Mountaineers Singles (I don't know how active they are, though) -socials in graduate science departments ( a lot of brainy, hot, independent and neglected women) -Barnes and Noble (and book clubs) -thousands of social opportunities on campus Oh, I forgot to add: talk to a girl standing next to you. Right DHM? wink.gif

Don't be anxious that the universe might be beyond your control - perspective of new possibilities is thrilling!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 10:35 pm 
Yes indeed! agree.gif lol.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 pm 
I have so many frustrations related to the dating game that most times I don't think it's truly worth the effort. 1) they want to be just friends and you want more. 2) you want to be just friends and they want more. 3) they want to live/retire in on area and you another. 4) you have different days off. 5) you have different work and sleep schedules. 6) they are the jealous type and you are not. 7) you like to hike, fish, ect. and they do not. 8) they care about silly things like new furniture and you do not. 9) they like to spend money traveling to far away places and you would rather explore close to home. 10) you like cats, they like dogs. Obviously this list could go on and on, but the point is that everyone's lives, interests, goals, attitudes, values, ect., are so variable that it is almost impossible to have the type of relationship that you envision, at least in my case that seems true. Rant over.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 pm 
It’s always going to be like that. No getting around it. “Thinking like that is going to get you nowhere” I never thought I would actually be able to use that phrase smile.gif … Just keep an open mind. If things can work out, they will.

North by Northwest
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 11:39 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I have so many frustrations related to the dating game that most times I don't think it's truly worth the effort.
someday you will find the right person to make compromises with.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 11:42 pm 
Oarboar wrote:
I would suggest dance classes. There are never enough males there. The ratio is 10-to-1 women to men. Think salsa, contra, tango. What a great way to meet women!

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
I would suggest dance classes. There are never enough males there. The ratio is 10-to-1 women to men. Think salsa, contra, tango. What a great way to meet women!
Too true. The only catch: you have to be able to dance! For whatever reason women don't like having their toes crushed. Go figure. Which is why I stay off the dance floor at office parties. But if you can dance, you're set. And if you can dance badly, but hilariously, you're golden too. My strategy is to just keep doing the things I love to do and sooner or later I'll run into a girl doing the same things. Has it worked? Nope! But at least I'm still hiking, photographing, and doing the other things I love.

Kozaroza
The Mountain Machine

Kozaroza
The Mountain Machine
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 12:18 am 
[quote="Opus"]
seawallrunner wrote:
I would suggest dance classes. There are never enough males there. !
Opus wrote:
[Too true. The only catch: you have to be able to dance! For whatever reason women don't like having their toes crushed. Go figure. Which is why I stay off the dance floor at office parties. But if you can dance, you're set. And if you can dance badly, but hilariously, you're golden too.
MMM tango... Opus, ..its OK. The toes can get crushed... with a close contact tango, for ex. the adrenaline/endorfine level is so high it doesn't matter... Tango is a good practice/metaphore- its all about taking initiative.. or at least not being afraid..

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Dec 04, 2010 12:19 am 
Opus wrote:
seawallrunner wrote:
Too true. The only catch: you have to be able to dance! For whatever reason women don't like having their toes crushed. Go figure.
Your tootsies will be stepped on 10x more often than you will step on theirs. Remember: you are learning, together. And there are 10x more women than men in there. The odds are good!!|