Forum Index > Trip Reports > Where the Glaciers Are - A Journey in the BC Coast Mountains
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 9:28 pm 
Sweet area/amazing adventure! You served it well with some of the compositions I saw.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 2:48 am 
Absolutely positively AMAZING!!!! Karen, you are one lucky gal to have such an awesome trip under your belt and a partner that helped to make it that way. Many, many thumbs up. up.gif up.gif up.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 3:54 am 
Amazing! Still gotta look up where this is on the map, but it doesn't appear to get that many visitors. Your video style is effective and unique - we should all be so multi-talented!

Don

Don
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 8:12 am 
Amazing area, Karen! Sorry I couldn't join you. Looks like you both had an amazing time! I really like "Breezy Summer Evening" (failing to see the breeze!) and Mix of Sun and Cloud. Excellent compositions! And of course, the video goes without saying. up.gif

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 8:43 am 
Great photos and video. What a place! As they say "America borders on the magnificent." wink.gif I am highly interested in Larry's offerings/musing too.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
rossb

rossb
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 2:48 pm 
Sorry if I missed this, but where exactly did you go? If you feel like it, you can link to mapper.acme.com (which now supports Canadian Topo Maps).

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 3:56 pm 
Going @pe at @pe lake best.gif Great video biggrin.gif , nice humor smile.gif , too much shrinkage of glaciers. frown.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 pm 
rossb wrote:
Sorry if I missed this, but where exactly did you go? If you feel like it, you can link to mapper.acme.com (which now supports Canadian Topo Maps).
I went to acme mapper and entered "@pe lake" in the search box. wink.gif http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=52.09712,-126.15463&z=13&t=T

rossb

rossb
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 4:39 pm 
Excellent. Thanks. (Duh!) Oh, and I, for one, wouldn't mind reading the six page report (if it does exist).

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 4:40 pm 
Unbelievable scenery! Thanks for sharing

Eric Eames
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 6:24 pm 
peltoms wrote:
too much shrinkage of glaciers. frown.gif
The main lake used to be glacially dammed, but when the glacier shrunk the lake drained. We chatted with a really nice couple that had been going there every year since 1952 (they actually purchased a small plot of land and have built a tiny 10x14' (approx) cabin in the area). They figure it probably lost half of its volume. The outlet is now on the right instead of the left (if you're looking at the pano). If you look at that topo, you can see it is outdated as the lake shows as one body of water instead of an upper and lower lake and it shows that it reaches all the way across to the bottom of the massive glacier on the right.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Larry

Larry
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 8:53 pm 
Karen, the video is VERY well done! I see you caught me being foolish. eek.gif But sometimes, foolish is GOOD. I am still amazed at your overall ability to keep on going when it gets tough, such as literally crawling through the underbrush, coupled with a combination of pull-ups and shoving our bodies against the brush to break our way through. I had a great time with you, and couldn't have had a better fellow hiker. Karen's images eclipse my own images, but I'll post a few soon. It was a sudden feeling of quiet to have the float plane leave the vicinity, and then realizing that we were "there", and on our own. A few seconds later, the sounds of water permeated our environment, the glaciers shockingly massive, and the lake a beautiful shade of aquamarine - the embrace of the mountains. The pure SCALE of the place was amazing. We couldn't efficiently travel very far, as the underbrush was hellishly difficult. But...we got far enough to complete ALL our plans.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 10:59 pm 
Karen, sorry to hear about your lens. On the bright side, perhaps it has salvage value. wink.gif Canon L Coffee Cup Mug

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 pm 
Tom wrote:
Karen, sorry to hear about your lens. On the bright side, perhaps it has salvage value. wink.gif
Actually I was kind of partial to the pencil holder idea (link thanks to Opus). lol.gif http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/694090 For those that were wondering, I will be uploading all the photos from the video to Flickr, I just haven't had time to yet.
Larry you BETTER share some photos! prod.gif And you're not foolish, maybe silly, but never foolish. winksmile.gif

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 28, 2010 12:47 pm 
Incredible Miss. Karen. Thanks for sharing. Im afraid youre going to have everyone here wanting to tag along with you next time.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln