Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Badlands 6245' Painter's Thumb 6744' 9.21.10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Type E

Type E
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 1:19 am 
Here is the link to my report. This was a very sad day for me so I would appreciate that any responses be postive. thanks, Eric http://alpinelakesaficionado.blogspot.com/2010/09/badlands-6245-painters-thumb-6744-92110.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 1:40 am 
Wow, sorry to hear. Sounds like you did the best you could under the circumstances. Hoping for a positive outcome.

Couvehiker86

Couvehiker86
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 10:18 am 
Why on earth would you take a Beagle mountain climbing? This certainly isn't the dog's fault. Edited by Moderator: Thank you for participating in the forums. Please review our new policy for the Trip Reports forum.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 10:28 am 
I didn't know fay Pullen was into the little stuff as well as the big peaks. Sorry about your dog.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 1:06 pm 
So very, very sorry to hear about your dog. You might consider going back up this weekend to search, and also putting an ad in the local papers. With high buck season on through this Saturday, there should be quite a few hunters out. I presume you've called the animal shelters in the area. I used to have a couple of beagles, and they are so loveable--and such escape artists! But they are also survivors! I certainly hope you find your little guy!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Type E

Type E
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 1:53 pm 
Thanks to most of you for the well wishes. Just an update: I received an email saying that they so a dead dog fitting Baxter's description near Tumwater Canyon. When the nice lady went back after contacting me he was gone. I contacted the DOT and the State Patrol and neither picked him up. I have this crazy idea that he was just sleeping, how is that for optimism? Eric

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 22, 2010 2:01 pm 
Can't hurt to be optimistic. I recall this story about a dog that survived floating on an iceberg in the Baltic Sea for several days: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1005124/dog-rescued-after-100km-iceberg-ride

Type E

Type E
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 12:09 pm 
Here are some pictures:
painters
painters

iron

iron
PostThu Sep 23, 2010 12:28 pm 
frown.gif

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Sep 24, 2010 12:34 pm 
Earlier this year, I spoke with the couple that run the General Store out the Teanaway River Road. Their two dogs had gone walkabout one day in the fall just before a winter storm hit. One of the dogs returned and the other did not. But the secoind dogs was found several days later all the way over by Blewett Pass. I will hold on to hope with you and envision Baxter's return.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Type E

Type E
PostFri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm 
Thanks for giving me hope! I went back today before work and looked around and didn't see anything. I left my business card with some local businesses. One waitress was good enough to call the local person that strays are usually brought to. She let me know that she had a call of a dead beagle near Tumwater Campground but when she went to pick up the body it was gone. The Dot called me back again to let me know that they hadn't picked any animals up. There weren't any drag marks where he was sighted. It seems silly to think that he was sleeping in a warm sunny spot. The last time he went missing when he returned his stomach was sun burned........ I am left with a strange feeling. Part of me knew eventually this was going to happen and maybe it wasn't responsible to take him. I tried to leash him as much as possible but sometimes it just wasn't feasible. I ended up with this thought. In my mind it was much better to give 8 years of something he loved so dearly instead of the alternative of staying home. I would guess some of you might not agree. E

hikermike

hikermike
PostFri Sep 24, 2010 11:51 pm 
I hate those people that leave a placard on my windshield "that my dogs would rather have been happier left behind at home than riding in a car." Did they interview them? Were they there when I was trying to get them out before I left? If they really were as "concerned" about the well being of my animals then they would have known that they picked me out cuz they liked adventure and going places with a companion who loved doing the same things that they did. I'm sure this post is going to receive a number of those "What were you thinking and how callous and selfish you were" type of comments but to me those people are crass and unthinking in their narrow uncompromising views but there is the reality that there are people who take risks in the mountains and some times are rewarded with great lifetime accomplishments and some times meet with trajdedy. It is my view, after living with a large number of dogs for more than 60 years that many of them share our own traits and feelings. When I start packing my pack and open the car door, Katie and Freddie are out the door like a shot and will actually hide under the seat so as to make sure I don't leave them behind. They know that my pack means a trip to the wilderness. Lilu, on the other hand, will sit on the porch and wait for the first opportunity to get back in the house...she never likes to walk past our property line. Dogs are NOT all alike and for someone to make an all encompassing statement about their view of what's right for pets is to do a great disservice to all. This is the paradox that many of us face: Earlier I read a trip report about a Green/Berdeen Lake traverse. This has always been a dream trip for me and one I still plan to take, yet I am in my 60's and seldom can find someone to hike with me, hence most my trips are solo. If I were to do this trip, there is the possibility I could die on it because of it's remoteness. If this were to happen, I would consider it a fitting end to a challenge taken and would be prefer to be left where I lay....happy in the attempt. My wife, however, sees no value whatsoever in hiking and considers it a waste of time and money. She would be devastated and angry over such a useless waste of life. There is no answer to this paradox, so don't torment yourself... the dog was engaged in what it wanted to do when he ran off and is paying the price....he probably considered it a good choice and is ok with the outcome.

Type E

Type E
PostSat Sep 25, 2010 1:50 am 
Well put, thanks

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostSat Sep 25, 2010 1:54 am 
i hope you find him best of wishes

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Sep 25, 2010 9:01 am 
Eric, I certainly hope that Baxter makes it back home to you and your family. I know how much of a pain in the butt he can be at times for you on the hiking trails, but I also know how much a beloved pet can mean to a family. That crazy dog is probably just out coming up with all kinds of fun adventures to share with you all. Here's to positive thoughts for Baxter's safe return home.