Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trappers Peak, NCNP 09-29-10 My first summit!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
veronika

veronika
PostWed Oct 06, 2010 6:49 pm 
Way to go! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Oct 31, 2010 9:31 am 
Awesome report! You know you really couldn't pick a better peak for your first summit. What will be your second? I love Yana's bear pic. I recently went to Trappers and X. I decided to make an informational page for X on SummitPost including a link to your report. X Mountain Page

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Oct 31, 2010 10:01 am 
Nice summitpost page, Gimp!
Gimpilator wrote:
Awesome report! You know you really couldn't pick a better peak for your first summit.
No! It was me! I picked it! Me me me me ME! It was all ME! In fact, I packed her up there on my back! dizzy.gif Anyone have any idea why X Mountain is called X Mountain? I actually didn't realize it had a name until I was back home from our trip and was looking at a map online where the name popped up.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Tangeman
ride the storm

Tangeman
ride the storm
PostSun Oct 31, 2010 2:15 pm 
Hopefully thats one down, more to go! smile.gif Great TR, looked like an awesome trip. Haven't been there, but looks awesome!

"Civilization is a nice place to visit, although I wouldn't want to live there." My photos
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostSun Oct 31, 2010 6:00 pm 
I anxiously await the chance to make some more scrambly summits. Anybody else want to carry me up one? I prefer my grapes peeled, and iced drinks are imperative. Seriously, though,thanks for the nice comments all! Yana's right, I can't take any credit for the peak pick, she proudly proclaimed these peaks her pick. It was a truly inspiring trip that has redefined what I think I can do out there. As for what's next? I don't rightly know. I'm looking forward to some snowshoeing this winter, but I'm always open to suggestions for next season's easy summits!

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Nov 01, 2010 3:05 pm 
Yana wrote:
Anyone have any idea why X Mountain is called X Mountain? I actually didn't realize it had a name until I was back home from our trip and was looking at a map online where the name popped up.
Good question. You may have noticed that recently, google maps has been listing the unofficial names of peaks. From what I've been able to deduce, they are retrieving these names from http://listsofjohn.com/ and perhaps other peakbagger sites. The way I understand it, one or two specific individuals on the google team has been taking John Ropers listed names many of which he or others in the old group actually nicknamed themselves. Eric Noel likely knows more about it. Ask him. Roper says that X was formerly called Cross-Dike Peak or X-Dike Peak but I don't know what his sources are for that claim. UPDATE 11/3/10 Roper sent me an email with the answer. Here's what he said: "the answer is that X Mtn was originally called Cross-Dike Peak by the 7/28/1966 FA party for the intersecting white quartz veins in the summit rock forming an X. The name was later simplified to X Mtn. Did you happen to notice this feature on your climb?"

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSat Nov 06, 2010 5:32 pm 
Yana, I love your avatar image!!! I have been accused thousands of times for that exact reason (Jokingly of course). It's no wonder I want to live in the wilderness my whole life! Anyway, Thanks for a great trip report and congrats on the first summit. Something you both will never forget. My first "real summit" was Chikamin Peak in the ALW and even though I didn't have a camera at the time, I will never forget that experience.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com