Forum Index > Trip Reports > Shriner Peak Lookout - 10/1/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Big Windy

Big Windy
PostSat Oct 02, 2010 9:41 am 
Hello everyone, New guy to the forum here. I just moved to the PNW recently, and this was my first adventure to Mt Rainier NP. I know that there are already several TRs on Shriner Peak, so I will keep it simple. Shriner Peak Lookout was incredible! The hike is approximately 4.2 miles long, with about 3500 ft. of elevation gain (starting elevation is roughly 2500 ft and the lookout is 5846 ft). I started out a few minutes before 9 am and arrived to the top in time for lunch just before 1130 am. It is a good 1.5-2 miles before you get your first shot of Mt. Rainier or a look at anything besides forest:
This is the first view that you get of Mt. Rainier.  It comes at about the 2 mile mark, just as you are making your way through the first set of switchbacks.
This is the first view that you get of Mt. Rainier. It comes at about the 2 mile mark, just as you are making your way through the first set of switchbacks.
A shot looking south from the point when you get your first look at Rainier - Stevens Canyon entrance and Ohanapecosh area in the distance.
A shot looking south from the point when you get your first look at Rainier - Stevens Canyon entrance and Ohanapecosh area in the distance.
The final part of the trail is a set of switchbacks followed by a short jaunt to the top:
Elevation 5846 ft
Elevation 5846 ft
A shot of the lookout, from the campsite toilet area.
A shot of the lookout, from the campsite toilet area.
And once you are at the top, commanding views of Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams in the distance:
An old osprey pack with some new BD Trekking Poles!
An old osprey pack with some new BD Trekking Poles!
Rainier Between Trees
Rainier Between Trees
Mt. Adams from the lookout
Mt. Adams from the lookout
A vertical shot of Mt. Rainier with the moon high above.
A vertical shot of Mt. Rainier with the moon high above.
A couple close-ups:
A shot of Little Tahoma Peak with the Emmons Glacier on the right and Disappointment Cleaver and Gibraltar Rock on the left.
A shot of Little Tahoma Peak with the Emmons Glacier on the right and Disappointment Cleaver and Gibraltar Rock on the left.
Fairly certain that this is a shot of the Camp Muir area with Cowlitz Cleaver above.
Fairly certain that this is a shot of the Camp Muir area with Cowlitz Cleaver above.
The trail was in great shape, although it seems that most of the berries have been eaten by other hikers or bears! I know that this trail is usually known for being the lonely or forgotten hike of Mt. Rainier, but within 30 minutes of reaching the top, 6 other hikers had arrived. I also saw a Mountain Goat on the way up. Highly recommend this trip!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Oct 02, 2010 10:36 am 
I was up there too. Probably saw ya! Got crowded briefly on the summit. I kind of hung around and everyone left so it was back to solitude until the two ladies you probably passed on the way down showed up. lol.gif

Big Windy

Big Windy
PostSat Oct 02, 2010 10:49 am 
tigermn wrote:
I was up there too. Probably saw ya! Got crowded briefly on the summit. I kind of hung around and everyone left so it was back to solitude until the two ladies you probably passed on the way down showed up. lol.gif
Yep, sounds like we were there at the same time. And I did bump into those ladies on the way down. They asked me where the bears were! Incredible views from Shriner.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Oct 02, 2010 10:52 am 
Try Crystal Peak (just before the Sunrise turnoff) down the road as well if you haven't. I actually like it a little better from up there because no lookout in the way. Not as much room if it gets crowded though.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Oct 02, 2010 11:58 am 
Welcome to the PNW and NWHikers. A worthy first effort. up.gif up.gif I was sitting up on top when I heard some huffing and puffing. I was sure a bear was coming to eat me when a Ranger pops out of the bushes. Apparently there is a short cut. Exciting!