Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sawtooth slam, 9/27/10-9/28/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gray matter

gray matter
PostSat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm 
I have really been slacking off on writing trip reports this summer! I've had some great changes in my life recently, and time is suddenly a more valuable commodity than it has been for a while. I had the opportunity to get out toward Twisp for the fifth time this summer to attempt Mount Bigelow, Switchback Peak, and Martin Peak. The plan was to leave on Sunday morning and hike in to base camp in the afternoon, but my bed was comfortable and the Seahawks were actually winning. So, I stuck around and watched the end of the game before heading out from Tacoma. I slept in the car with the intention of getting an early start. Yeah, right. I was up and on trail at 8:30 am with my pack. After about 5 minutes of hiking, I realized that my sunglasses were still in the car. I ditched the pack and ran back and got them. About a mile in, I realized that my knuckles were dragging. Dang. Should have grabbed the trek poles when I went back for the sunglasses. Other than these brain farts, it was a great trip. I made great time up the trail, thanks in large part to the Coulee Riders, who help to maintain this trail. This was easily the most beautifully maintained trail I've been on this entire summer. Great tread, even grade. Kudos to the trail maintenance!!!
Sawtooth Slam 002
Sawtooth Slam 002
There were more forks in the trail than are indicated on the Green Trails map. The trail to Crater Lake was well marked.
Sawtooth Slam 005
Sawtooth Slam 005
I assumed that the next fork was the trail that I would take on the way out of the loop.
Sawtooth Slam 006
Sawtooth Slam 006
Since I was doing the loop counter-clockwise, I took the right fork. This was the right call. A short while later, I came to a second fork, which was actually the correct trail to complete the loop.
Sawtooth Slam 007
Sawtooth Slam 007
Bottom line: If you do this loop clockwise and are heading to Cooney Lake first, there is additional fork in the trail after the Crater Lake turnoff that you must pass prior to the correct trail to Cooney Lake. This was not marked on my Green Trails map. There are signs marking the correct trails.
Sawtooth Slam 010
Sawtooth Slam 010
I made excellent time up to the tarn between Upper and Lower Eagle Lakes, and stopped briefly to enjoy the Larches and reflection.
Bigelow tarn
Bigelow tarn
Once I got up to Upper Eagle Lake, the route to the summit of Mt. Bigelow was obvious. Here is my route overlaid.
Bigelow route
Bigelow route
After climbing the sandy talus/scree slope up to the base of the summit block, I located a cairn that indicated the remainder of the route.
The cairn near the summit of Mt. Bigelow.
The cairn near the summit of Mt. Bigelow.
There was no exposure yet, but I understand how it would be more exposed if the gully was holding snow. I ascended the gully, and found two moves of exposed class 3 climbing. It was very straightforward.
Route up Mt. Bigelow from Upper Eagle Lake.
Route up Mt. Bigelow from Upper Eagle Lake.
talus slopes.
talus slopes.
The gully near the summit of Mt Bigelow marked by the cairn.  This would have more exposure when holding snow.
The gully near the summit of Mt Bigelow marked by the cairn. This would have more exposure when holding snow.
Two moves of exposed class 3.  From there, 12 steps to the summit.
Two moves of exposed class 3. From there, 12 steps to the summit.
Once in the summit, I got a great view of Raven Ridge, and immediately started thinking that the south face looks much more straightforward than the north face from Libby Lake.
Sawtooth Slam 031
Sawtooth Slam 031
I stayed only a few minutes on the summit of Bigelow due to some vaguely threatening weather and wind. I stayed just long enough to get a self portrait and crappy boot shot.
Sawtooth Slam 035
Sawtooth Slam 035
Sawtooth Slam 036
Sawtooth Slam 036
My time from the trail head to the summit was just four hours. I descended back to Upper Eagle, grabbed my full pack, and headed toward Horsehead Pass.
Sawtooth Slam 039
Sawtooth Slam 039
A fat and happy marmot joined me on the trail.
Sawtooth Slam 040
Sawtooth Slam 040
Once at Horsehead pass, I got a great view of where I had come.
Sawtooth Slam 041
Sawtooth Slam 041
And where I was heading.
Sawtooth Slam 043
Sawtooth Slam 043
I descended to Boiling Lake with the intention of hiking all the way up Angel's Staircase and the summit of Switchback Peak, and descending to Cooney Lake. However, my left knee had other plans. I ended up stopping at the junction of the Prince Creek trail and the summit trail, where I found some nice camps, complete with a back country throne. Now you see me...
Sawtooth Slam 051
Sawtooth Slam 051
Now you don't!
Sawtooth Slam 050
Sawtooth Slam 050
I got a great night's rest and awoke the next morning to a blustery but temperate day. I couldn't help but take my time from camp to the base of Angel's Staircase, only due to the beauty of this area. The larches were changing, and the landscape was open and beautiful.
Larches
Larches
Sawtooth Slam 056
Sawtooth Slam 056
Sawtooth Slam 055
Sawtooth Slam 055
Sawtooth Slam 067
Sawtooth Slam 067
I happened upon the old Larch tree that marked the junction with the staircase.
Sawtooth Slam 069
Sawtooth Slam 069
Sawtooth Slam 070
Sawtooth Slam 070
After ascending to the top of the ridge at 8000', I had a bit of a decision. I was confident that the ridge run between Switchback and Martin Peak was possible. So, I took my full pack the final 300+' to the summit of Switchback Peak. I enjoyed about a half and hour and hot lunch on the summit. I then descended to the north and dropped my main pack near point 8047, on the route up Martin Peak. Despite bringing my full pack to the summit, this saved me elevation, distance, and time. The ridge run was very straightforward.
Sawtooth Slam 081
Sawtooth Slam 081
Cooney Lake looked inviting.
Sawtooth Slam 078
Sawtooth Slam 078
And I was happy!
Sawtooth Slam 076
Sawtooth Slam 076
The scramble up Martin Peak was fast and easy. On the summit, I soaked in the views and the color for a bit before descending back toward Cooney Lake for my pack and the hike out.
Martin summit pano
Martin summit pano
Sawtooth Slam 091
Sawtooth Slam 091
Sawtooth Slam 097
Sawtooth Slam 097
One more fat and happy marmot, and it was pedal to the metal for the trip back to the car.
Sawtooth Slam 099
Sawtooth Slam 099
This was a great fall scramble in some spectacular country! I was blessed with some great weather and three top 100 peaks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Oct 02, 2010 8:29 pm 
Rockin' trip punctuated by pretty larches. up.gif up.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Oct 03, 2010 10:51 am 
Excellent trip report, really liked the ridge run from the Switchback to Martin.