Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Daniel 9-25-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mhutch

mhutch
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 5:03 pm 
Tried this trip a few weeks ago as an overnight, ended up getting socked in and turning around due to lack of views. So with a clear Saturday in the forecast, I had to give it another try as a dayhike. Was able to spend the night up past Roslyn, got up early and drove to the TH in the dark, arriving around sunrise. Hit the trail just before 7:00am. Made it up to Squaw Lk. in about an hour.
Squaw Lk.
Squaw Lk.
Took a quick break and headed on up to Cathedral pass, fall colors really coming on up higher. Got to the pass just in time to see the moon setting behind Mt. Daniel.
Cathedral pass pano
Cathedral pass pano
Got to Peggy's Pond about 2 hrs after leaving the TH, took another quick break and headed on up the SE ridge of Daniel. Views begin opening up at the ridge.
Stuart, Citadel, Circle Lk., crest peaks, SE Ridge
Stuart, Citadel, Circle Lk., crest peaks, SE Ridge
Looking up SE ridge
Looking up SE ridge
I ended up leaving the ridge and traversing across the upper hyas ck. glacier basin on snowfields and rock below pt. 7662'. The other parties I saw on the mtn that day both continued up the ridge and over pt. 7662'. Looked like needless elevation gain/loss to me, along with being sketchier scrambling.
I left the ridge just above here to the saddle below the E summit, see tracks...
I left the ridge just above here to the saddle below the E summit, see tracks...
Left the ridge and made it over to the saddle with no trouble. Nice fresh coat of new snow was perfect for steps and a short glissade on the way down. Went up to tag the east summit.
East summit pano
East summit pano
Looking towards the West and Middle summits
Looking towards the West and Middle summits
Looking back at Cathedral Rock
Looking back at Cathedral Rock
After a photo break I headed down and left the path once I saw the trail heading over towards the west summit down below. Made my way down to it on snow and loose rock. Once on the obvious trail, it's an easy walk over to the West summit. Hit the West summit before noon, between 4.5 and 5 hours from the TH. Had lunch on top while a few others made their way over.
West summit pano
West summit pano
Venus and Spade Lks.
Venus and Spade Lks.
Pea Soup Lk.
Pea Soup Lk.
Mt. Hinman
Mt. Hinman
Glacier Pk.
Glacier Pk.
Mt. Rainier
Mt. Rainier
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
After leaving the W summit, I quickly made my way over to the middle summit and down. There is a short section of very hard dirt covered in loose rock between the saddle below the E summit and the trail to the W and Middle that I missed on my way over from the E. Probably the sketchiest section for me, steep and hard to get footing on, passed another group heading up here. After that it was an easy trip back the way I came, took my time to enjoy the nice weather and fall colors coming on... Great trip!!
back at Peggy's Pond
back at Peggy's Pond
Basin below Peggy's Pond
Basin below Peggy's Pond
Color below Peggy's Pond
Color below Peggy's Pond
More color
More color
Trail to Peggy's Pond
Trail to Peggy's Pond

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm 
Nice photos. up.gif A great day to be out in the mountains.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 5:40 pm 
Nice report and pics.
Quote:
I left the ridge just above here to the saddle below the E summit.
That's the correct route. It's a common mistake to continue up the ridge. Did the other parties summit? wink.gif

mhutch

mhutch
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 8:24 pm 
thanks. yeah, cutting across below 7662' is definitely a faster and easier way to go. one group made it for sure, pretty sure the other did as well, since I passed them as they were heading across to the west summit. watched them both come over the ridge and down to the saddle, looked tedious...

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 8:53 pm 
Beautiful. up.gif up.gif

veronika

veronika
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 9:53 pm 
+++

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 pm 
Nice - area around Peggy's Pond looks a lot different (color-wise) than it did two weeks ago. up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 10:54 pm 
Quote:
There is a short section of very hard dirt covered in loose rock between the saddle below the E summit and the trail to the W and Middle that I missed on my way over from the E. Probably the sketchiest section for me, steep and hard to get footing on, passed another group heading up here.
there's another sketchy section well below the east summit (closer to the NE ridge) that I would recommend not trying to scree hop down (I had a brief exciting moment of uncontrolled descent after landing on my butt as my feet went flying into space). Glad you had much better weather than I did a few weeks ago. Great pics. I can't fathom why people would stick to the SE ridge when the diagonal route across the mellow snowfield and rock is so easy and efficient. Edit for clarification: I would recommend never gaining the ridge in the first place, instead stay well below it and then head NE after climbing above the upper basin...

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Sep 26, 2010 11:07 pm 
+

belowfellow
Transplant

belowfellow
Transplant
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 am 
nice work bro, looking forward to Larch Maddness this weekend!

"Wilderness is bliss"
silence

silence
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 7:23 am 
nice tr and pix .. thx for posting .. the obvious trail to the west summit .. left or right of the ridge fm the east peak?

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
ICLIMB76

ICLIMB76
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 am 
Nice job. Did you get a chance to see how many people were camped at Peggys Pond?

mhutch

mhutch
PostMon Sep 27, 2010 6:10 pm 
silence: the trail goes along the ridge to the left of the snow/glacier and from there cuts pretty much straight across to the W peak. it actually looks like there are 2 parallel trails. they're more obvious in the pano from the W summit and this shot from the W summit looking at the E one...
Mt. Daniel E summit from W
Mt. Daniel E summit from W
ICLIMB76: on my way up I saw one group who had camped at peggy's pond heading down, there was only one tent there on my way down. both groups I met up on the mtn did it as a dayhike, the lake was not busy or crowded at all.

Daniel G

Daniel G
PostThu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 pm 
Nice report. Did you see the need for crampons and/or ice axe.

mhutch

mhutch
PostThu Sep 30, 2010 10:30 pm 
thanks, there was no need for an ice axe or crampons. poles would be helpful for the snow sections and maybe the short section on the way to the W though...