Forum Index > Trip Reports > Who's afraid of Chair Peak? 10/02/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Oct 04, 2010 10:22 pm 
I've been scared of Chair Peak for years, ever since my friend told me about his search and rescue team's retrieval of a hiker's body killed by a large loose rock. But I saw Yana and Dicey's TR in 2009 which followed a route Boo and friends did in 2008. While not a walk up, the route looked doable without necessarily putting one's life at risk from rock fall. So as the weekend of Oct 2, 2010 shaped up as one of those perfect fall days, I lined up a willing partner to tackle Chair Peak and lived to tell the tale! My partner had to be back in town early on our summit day, so we hiked up to the Snow Lake divide on Friday evening, stumbling through the bush in the dark by head lamp, but finding a reasonably flat spot for our minimal overnight gear. The next morning was clear skies above, with a sea of clouds below.
Heading up the trail at dusk, about 7:30 pm on Friday.
Heading up the trail at dusk, about 7:30 pm on Friday.
Our minimal camp in a small clearing on the Snow Lake divide
Our minimal camp in a small clearing on the Snow Lake divide
Next morning dawned clear, with the sunrise lighting up Chair Peak
Next morning dawned clear, with the sunrise lighting up Chair Peak
It's only 1800' of gain from the Snow Lake divide to the top of Chair Peak, but the scramble route is somewhat circuitous and requires route finding and cautious moves in some areas. We took our time climbing up the talus slopes to the ridge line, relishing the perfect conditions.
The first big talus field out of camp. This descends all the way down to the source lake trail, and would be a good route for a one-day climb.
The first big talus field out of camp. This descends all the way down to the source lake trail, and would be a good route for a one-day climb.
In Chair Peak basin near the Thumbtack
1 label
In Chair Peak basin near the Thumbtack
We've come up the ramp are heading up the talus slope south of Chair Peak basin
We've come up the ramp are heading up the talus slope south of Chair Peak basin
Nearing the ridge top
Nearing the ridge top
Chair Peak and basin. In a while we'll be in that upward slanting gully with the dark shadow.
1 label
Chair Peak and basin. In a while we'll be in that upward slanting gully with the dark shadow.
The terrain changes dramatically on the west side of the ridge. Loose rocks sloping the wrong way are the rule. We tried hard to follow Yana's careful instructions, but didn't really identify all the key spots until we were coming back. In particular, we didn't see any need to compare our girth to hers or Dicey's by forcing our bodies past the "squeeze tree". (some pictures taken on the way back).
After crossing the ridge the route traverses and descends below the rock ribs.
1 label
After crossing the ridge the route traverses and descends below the rock ribs.
Returning to the ridge crossing. We chose not to experience Yana's squeeze, instead heading directly for the bigger tree.
Returning to the ridge crossing. We chose not to experience Yana's squeeze, instead heading directly for the bigger tree.
Blueberries turning red
Blueberries turning red
The notch proved to be the crux. Doug started across lower down then turned back. We dropped a rope for a hand line, but ended up not using it because the rock at that spot proved to be solid with bomber holds. But as Dicey said, "Don't fall here".
After a little confusion and route finding we finally got to the notch and this small cliff. Doug first tried to cross lower down on the red rock, but found it insecure.
1 label
After a little confusion and route finding we finally got to the notch and this small cliff. Doug first tried to cross lower down on the red rock, but found it insecure.
Doug thought he saw more solid rock above. I wanted to throw down a hand line because it looked steep. It turned out he was right, and the scramble down to the notch where the rope lays is easy and solid enough to not need it.
2 labels
Doug thought he saw more solid rock above. I wanted to throw down a hand line because it looked steep. It turned out he was right, and the scramble down to the notch where the rope lays is easy and solid enough to not need it.
The scramble route down/up the steep side of the notch. This is the crux of the entire climb. The rope is there for safety, but we didn't use it.
2 labels
The scramble route down/up the steep side of the notch. This is the crux of the entire climb. The rope is there for safety, but we didn't use it.
After the notch there's really only one way to go, and the rock is in general more solid. However we did manage to trigger a barrage of rocks under the branches of a hemlock that were poised to fall. Stay close together in this gully -- the ricochets could be deadly. Summit shots ...
Across from the notch is the big gully that leads most of the way to the summit from the notch.
3 labels
Across from the notch is the big gully that leads most of the way to the summit from the notch.
Doug on top
Doug on top
Snow Lake from Chair Peak
Snow Lake from Chair Peak
Gem Lake from Chair Peak
Gem Lake from Chair Peak
I can't believe I'm finally on Chair Peak!
I can't believe I'm finally on Chair Peak!
Melakwa Lake from Chair Peak
Melakwa Lake from Chair Peak
Rock climbers on the West Ridge route
Rock climbers on the West Ridge route
Approximate route from the ridge crossing to the notch (by red rock)
Approximate route from the ridge crossing to the notch (by red rock)
On the way down and out we continued to enjoy the fine fall weather by playing around on the Thumbtack, and taking the source lake trail out.
The Thumbtack
The Thumbtack
Playing around on the Thumbtack
Playing around on the Thumbtack
Fall colors, Chair Peak, and the moon
Fall colors, Chair Peak, and the moon
Crashing through colorful bushes down to the Source Lake trail
Crashing through colorful bushes down to the Source Lake trail
Source Lake
Source Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Oct 04, 2010 10:31 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
In particular, we didn't see any need to compare our girth to hers or Dicey's by forcing our bodies past the "squeeze tree".
lol.gif Glad you made it up after years of fear!

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Oct 05, 2010 12:42 am 
Gorgeous pics! Wish I'd made it up there that day. smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Oct 05, 2010 12:46 am 
Thanks for the detailed report including references, pictures and labels. Glad the weather held out for you.

cmurph

cmurph
PostTue Oct 05, 2010 6:39 am 
Nice work puzzlr up.gif looks like a great day up there