Forum Index > Trip Reports > Larches con Carne - 10/7/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostFri Oct 08, 2010 11:20 am 
I missed the bluebird conditions by one day (see Buck Mt. trip report by raising2hikers) but the day was still amazingly nice for a trip up the relentless 1000' per mile Carne Basin trail. In other words, I sweated my butt off! I decided on this hike for solitude and the shortness as compared to the other Lyall Larch hikes such as Larch Lakes (Chiwakum or Entiat). I got a late start from home, as usual and got to Monroe about 10:15am, and arrived at the Phelps Creek TH around 12:30pm. Home to TH is almost exactly 120 miles. There were at least a half dozen other cars there, but the register noted that most were going to Spider or Leroy. Slackers! (except that Leroy dude smile.gif ) No one had put Carne as their destination for 10/7. The sky was clear at that moment but clouds were thickening to the south and moving north. By the time I got to any views, the clouds had arrived. The first views were somewhat obstructed by trees but once up in the meadows near the top, they opened up considerably:
Western edge of Carne Basin
Western edge of Carne Basin
Peak on western edge of Carne Basin
Peak on western edge of Carne Basin
Closeup of Buck Mt. and glacier on NE flank
Closeup of Buck Mt. and glacier on NE flank
Large view of Buck Mt and Larches/heathers on slopes
Large view of Buck Mt and Larches/heathers on slopes
Down valley from Carne Basin edge to Buck Mt.
Down valley from Carne Basin edge to Buck Mt.
Soon, I was very near the edge of the basin:
Closeup of peak on west edge of Carne Basin with Larches everywhere
Closeup of peak on west edge of Carne Basin with Larches everywhere
Finally, into the basin, which is about 4 or 5 acres of flat meadow nearly completely surrounded by ridge/peaks:
Obligatory pano of Carne Basin
Obligatory pano of Carne Basin
I ran out of juice to make it up to the ridge line to look at Rock Creek or consider going to the top of Carne Mt., but was very content just to sit on my pad on a perfectly sized piece of granite to munch on some food and just look and listen.
In Carne Basin looking south over devide to Rock Creek drainage
In Carne Basin looking south over devide to Rock Creek drainage
V for Victory and interesting framing of a herd of Larch
V for Victory and interesting framing of a herd of Larch
I have to say that while is was a real thigh burner, especially coming down, I would definitely do this again while the larches are flaming. It is such a quiet and serene place, cozy and sheltered. A nice place to camp too w/o being too far of a hike, except that pesky 2700' elevation gain. And yes, before I get corrected, I do know that this Carne rhymes with "barn" and not the Spanish version meaning "meat" but my feet and knees felt like carne after the Carne hike.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message